Hughesnet Community

Frontier & Charter unlimited $29 a month for about the same.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roxanne

Frontier & Charter unlimited $29 a month for about the same.

Worst internet service--I agree. Frontier & Charter $29/mo unlimited. Sit in McDonalds & download movies. So SAD.
14 REPLIES 14
Pawnee County

Hi Roxanne

There is a bunch of ISPs like Charter and Frontier that can offer unlimited and faster speed for less.  The thing is there are millions of folks who cannot get Frontier or Charter of any other land based ISP.  That is where HughesNet and Exede come in, to service those areas that no one else will.  If any other ISP is available go with it land based will always beat out Satellite.  Even Satellite TV has it's problems like line of sight, rain fade, cost, and delay.  It is the nature of the beast and physics will apply and cannot be changed. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

If you have Charter and/or Frontier ground based cable available then by all means you should switch. They are not without their fair share of complaints either.
Roxanne

Neither service where I live as well. There's more than one way to get old and new movies in theaters than sitting back & drinking coffee, which I don't drink either. Not a prisoner to coffee or anything else. If you have no resolve, then why are even on this forum? Waste of Internet space.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Roxanne, if you would explain in more detail what the problem is with your service then perhaps Jezra, the official reps and some of us others customers could try and help make it a better experience for you.

My wife and I watch Netflix movies with playback set to low definition. Two advantages, doesn't use near the data amount plus connection has to be really really slow for it to buffer.

Should not stream in HD with capped satellite service.
Amanda

Hi Roxanne

I was going to mark Pawnee County's post as the official response, because this is essentially what we would have said. Except.. technology is getting cooler, faster and more innovative. No way we'll be able to beat Fiber and in 15 years, Fiber internet will look like dialup. But in 15 years, HughesNet can bring 15 times better than what they've got today. We get bigger and better every new launch, so I wouldn't put us out just yet. We won't always be the best in the world, but we'll be there when no one else is.

Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

And right now the "beloved" Frontier and Charter have chosen  NOT to invest and serve many rural areas despite their much lower cost basis.

I am frequently baffled by the high regard that some folks hold for these terrestrial ISP's after they have thumbed their noses at many of us. That is exactly what they have done by choosing not to serve our areas.

Pawnee County

I know some folks with fiber and it isn't close to the speed I get from HughesNet.  A buddy of mine has fiber DSL and he gets 6 to 7 mb/s at best, when I get 18mb/s with Hughes the lowest I have ever got was 5mb/s during peak times.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

For the last year I could have Frontier DSL with "upto" 24 Mbps.

So far I've passed on that. Every time it rains my Frontier land line phone service gets scratchy and I've already "worked" with their support folks. Just to report a phone outage is like a root-canal.

Hughesnet, I understand.

Roxanne

Thank you Amanda. To my benefit when I visit my daughter 25 miles away I am able to down load movies or tv shows. Just ordered Dish network now that it's with ATT. Since ATT has moved into satellite tv , hopefully they will build a tower and will add Internet for us in rural Nevada. To ALL I have had truly good customer service so far as pricing. Just not the speed, etc. Can be in the same room as my tower and get 3G on my phone. I get 10mbps and the same + in off hours for $ (between me and my customer service reps) but way better than what I've been reading. And yes, HughesNet is our only source for home internet. Some of us live on disability and are 95% home bound.
Pawnee County

I hate to break this to you but ATT is with Driectv not dish network.
James E Besser

stay away from dish network there plans are very high I just have the welcome pack ordered too have cnn  my bill went sky high about 30.00 more
Pawnee County

Well James Directv is just as bad only good thing I can say about them is Tomorrow I will cancel and just go with OTA the price is way to high for what you get.  I also find myself looking at the OTA channels the majority of the time.  Just how many times can a person watch Law & Order or NCIS over and over and over and over. 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Roxanne,

Just make sure you have your laptop/notebook/tablet or whatever it is you are using set up the right way when using free wifi at a place like McDonald's.  Those kinds of places can be rife with people who would just love to get into your device and snoop around, and if it's not set up correctly, they most certainly can and will.  Public wifi is awful when it comes to security.