Frustrated and only 7 days with new service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mikeandjanet13
New Poster

Frustrated and only 7 days with new service

Seven days with Hughes and it is awful. Can’t even watch a movie or show without it buffering a dozen times. Internet keeps shutting down leaving my security cameras off line several times within a 24 hour period. Connection keeps disappearing when using laptops, pages won’t open, pictures don’t load. One hour on phone with service and they say all my equipment is fine, requested a technician and they say “sure in three (3) business days someone will call to Schedule an appointment “. WHAT? Ridiculous

Then this morning we get a text that says in 20 days a service tech will arrive - OMG  this is insane.  SO, not liking this.  

4 REPLIES 4
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

If using WiFi, how far away are devices/computers from modem? Also there has been a lot of bad weather at gateway locations lately and there was a problem affecting many users on the Echostar 19 satellite.

caglecowgirl1
New Poster

I'm with you! I have had this service for a year and it is horrible. I work from home and it is so slow.  Then when  trying to stream netflix, that is bad as well.  Latest is that i used all my data, so even slower and i cant upgrade to the 50G.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Your post would stand out more and receive prompter attention if you posted your own thread instead of replying to another user's thread.  The Hughesnet people on the site like to keep these threads separate so they can provide individual attention to each user's complaints and issues.  

I'm with you! I have had this service for a year and it is horrible. I work from home and it is so slow.  Then when  trying to stream netflix, that is bad as well.  Latest is that i used all my data, so even slower and i cant upgrade to the 50G.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Mikeandjanet13 wrote:

Can’t even watch a movie or show without it buffering a dozen times.

Are you trying to stream in HD?  If so, are you turning off, or snoozing, the Video Data Saver

Keep in mind that streaming in HD can use 3GB or more per hour.  Right now that won't matter, because during the first twenty days your service is in what's known as a "relaxed bandwidth state".  This means that your data is being replenished on a regular basis.  HughesNet does this as a courtesy in order to allow new customers to update/upgrade their devices to current without it affecting what would be their normal monthly data allotment.  After those twenty days your data will start being counted as normal.    

@Mikeandjanet13 wrote:

Internet keeps shutting down leaving my security cameras off line several times within a 24 hour period. Connection keeps disappearing when using laptops, pages won’t open, pictures don’t load.

So you are aware, from the evening of the 2nd through midday on the 4th there was a major outage that affected many Gen5 customers.  The outage was intermittent, meaning the service would come back on, then go out again, over and over.  Since then, HughesNet has been performing updates during the overnight hours.  There may be service interruptions while these updates are being performed.    

As mentioned by BirdDog, please make sure that your devices are within range of the HughesNet modem.  This is especially important if you're utilizing the 5Ghz band, which has a shorter range than the 2.4GHz band. 

Edit:  The HughesNet Mobile App has a WiFi meter.  This may help to determine the range of the WiFi in your home.  You can find the HughesNet Mobile App at Google Play and the App Store.