cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated customer!!

Frustrated customer!!

The first month, after two days we were experiencing difficulties getting online so I called and was told that we had used 10GB in two days. They gave me tokens for the rest of the month. In all fairness my daughter likes watching YouTube makeup tutorials....so no more of the one thing that she really enjoyed doing online. So the kids were told no YouTube or Netflix until we get the Internet figured out. This month it renewed on the 10th and this is the 12th, which no one has been on this am yet, except for me getting on and checking it and it says we have used 1/2 of our allowance for the month. REALLY, less than two days? I was told that 10 GB would be plenty of data for the number of devices in the house. Just don't understand and can't keep paying $80 a month for this aggravation!!!
6 REPLIES 6
Freshman

Re: Frustrated customer!!

Hi. First, I am a customer, just like you. Depending on how many people and how you are using it, 5GB in two days is easy. My son went through 3.6GB by himself in two hours.

I am glad you aren't immediately leaping to stolen data. Here are some questions -
Do you have Windows 10 yet? Windows has been downloading the upgrades in the background on people, and they're big.
Do you use your Wi-Fi to support your cell phones? That sucks down a ton of data.
Have you been streaming on other services like Netflix?
I only had 1GB of data on my cell plan because I didn't get 4G LTE where I lived. When I went to NYC for three days, just using my phone data for directions and Facebook I went through a gig of data on my own in just over 24 hours. No video streaming and only uploaded three pictures.
Do you have smart TVs or internet-enabled appliances? They also can use your data, as well as connecting a DISH or DirecTv receiver.
Lots of people here to help. Welcome to the frustrating adventure that is satellite internet!
Alum

Hi mcgraw,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting! I was able to pull up your account using your profile information. I see that you emailed our support team around mid August. Here is a quick snippet from their response:

"Ms. McGraw, it is important to make sure that we isolate exactly what could be causing your usage spikes.

When your transmit usage is very high (say 20 MB per hour or more) and continuous over many hours or days even when you are not using your system, it is strongly advise that each of your PCs connected to the HughesNet system be checked for a virus or worm. A worm typically causes a PC connected to the Internet to transmit 'useless' information continuously. When this happens, the performance of your HughesNet system will be degraded and may be completely disrupted. Aside from computer virus, there are other reasons that may contribute to your data usage."

Were you able to look into these suggestions made by our agent? From his explanation of your data usage and from what I also see on your account during this period. A virus or some bug could be causing this data drain. Any and all devices should be secured and scanned every couple of weeks to ensure you are efficiently protected. Here are some other tips that may help you identify your unidentified data usage.

Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to low/SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

Chris

I have fixed my settings in FB and Netflix.....I have an Apple iPad, my daughter has an Apple iPod and a Kindle Fire that is used very little. I have tried to download the status meter several times but it won't work on my iPad. I have to manually do my updates so it isn't that, I always wait until I am on someone else's wifi when I update.

There is an iPad, iPod, and kindle fire that isn't used much. Phones have their own data, we don't have any of the "smart" stuff and satellite doesn't use my wifi.....just don't understand!!
Highlighted

When your not using your devices, do you disable the wifi connection? If not, the devices are still transmitting data to and from the hughesnet terminal, meaning, your still using data. With your apple devices, did you make sure that the icloud feature has been disabled on all devices?
Alum

Hi mcgraw,

The status meter only works on a windows PC or Mac which I am guessing you do not have? There is currently no version for phones and tablets. However you can always open up a browser on any device and enter http://192.168.0.1 into the address bar. This will allow you to connect locally to your modem and check how much data you have, or you can also log into the customer support center at http://my.hughesnet.com

To better assist you on your apple devices I found this app that you can download which helps in monitoring your data across multiple devices. Just make sure you download this on each device and login using the same account. It can be found here.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-data-manager-track-your/id477865384?mt=8

Let us know if this helps.

Thank you,
Chris