Hughesnet Community

Future version of the Hughesnet Status/Usage Meter...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Future version of the Hughesnet Status/Usage Meter...

I'd really like to see the following put back....

Capture.JPG

It was very handy to know, practically instantly, where you were in the month.  I can't really think of a valid reason for removing it.  

35 REPLIES 35
maratsade

I second this!  That feature was very useful.

Amanda

Hello!

Last that I recall this was a bug that was fixed in a patch released for Status Meter version 6.5. I've reached out to our developers to see if the removal of this was intentional or another bug. I'll provide an update as I receive one.

Thanks,

Amanda

maratsade

I have the latest meter, 6.6.0, and the nice feature is missing... 😞

GabeU

@Amanda

It definitely works in version 6.5.3.  I uninstalled 6.6.0 and installed 6.5.3 to get that pic that I posted.  I would just continue to use 6.5.3 and deal with the upgrade popup on computer starts, but the 6.5.3 doesn't have the "Video Setting" on it.  

With that said, I always leave the Video Setting "on", and if 6.5.3 not having the video setting does not affect it, and having it turned on under the myAcccount sign in keeps it on, I will just go back to using 6.5.3 without issue.  Actually, come to think of it, I could just try it and I would immediately notice on a YouTube video if the video setting in myAccount was working and it was playing in 480P.  I think I'll try that.  I'll edit the post when I know that it works.  

Edit:  Okay, so the Video Data Saver setting stays on when set through signing in at myAccount, regardless of whether the Status Meter has the Video Data Saver setting or not.  I figured it would.  Becauise of this, I'm just going to use version 6.5.3 and deal with the upgrade notice on computer startup.

The rest of this is just to whoever cares to read of my woes.  😞 

On a very frustrating side note, I ran into a problem, though unconnected to this.  I updated my CCleaner tonight when I first came online (the update notice popped up).  Then, after typing this original reply, I uninstalled meter version 6.6.0, then ran CCleaner.  I then restarted the computer.  Lo and behold, it wouldn't restart.  It got stuck trying to start back up.  Needless to say, I restored the computer from a system image I had created on May 1st.  The restore went fine, but, again, it wouldn't start back up.  It would get stuck on the screen with the little rotating thing on the bottom, then the rotating thing would stop and it would do nothing.  

To make a long story short, as it turned out, when running the new version of CCleaner or uninstalling the meter, or something else, it screwed up something on my secondary internal drive.  I disconnected it and it started just fine.  I eventually determined that this was what was causing the problem, for sure.  Then, after it had started one of the times, I reconnected it, then wiped the drive.  I didn't have anything on it that I didn't already have saved on a flash drive and my external drive.  I had a saved System image on it of this computer (I save on on the internal and one on the external drive consecutively), and somehow it was that image that the system used to restore, so it was still seeing and using the drive.  What went wrong to make it screw the system up at startup is beyond me.  Now that the drive is wiped and reformatted, the system starts just fine.  

The worst part is this.  The image I used to restore was a 1607 image, and a 1607 image that didn't have the latest updates before the Creators Update.  So, I have to update this 1607 OS to current, then go through the installation of the Creators Update again.  WHAT A PAIN IN THE TOOKUS!!!!  

maratsade

"The image I used to restore was a 1607 image, and a 1607 image that didn't have the latest updates before the Creators Update.  So, I have to update this 1607 OS to current, then go through the installation of the Creators Update again."

That's crazy, Gabe. You go through so much technical stuff with your laptops!  Like they say around here:  you're snakebit!

GabeU

Actually, it was my desktop.  My main computer.  But, even though it took a while, everything is back up to date.  And I made darn sure to create a system image of it after I was done.  

My plan is, usually, to wait until a couple of weeks after a major update to make sure everything is okay before I save a system image.  I hadn't done that yet with the version 1703 that I had installed and running.  I usually do an image each month, and keep three months' worth.  After this issue and the reinstallation of the image and the Creators Update, I just decided to dump my March image and save today's image in that partition.  So now I have one from April, one from May 1st and one from today.  

It's interesting to note that everything was fine until I cleaned the registry with the new version of CCleaner.  I don't know if that had anything to do with it or it was just coincidence.  Something definitely went wrong with the secondary HDD, though.  I think what was happening is that the system was getting confused on startup and wasn't recognizing the second drive as just being an auxiliary drive and not a system drive.  I don't know why it did this all of a sudden.  I thought, perhaps, the drive went bad, or was going bad, but it's fine.  I did some error checking on the drive with chkdsk and everything was fine.  I guess it's just a fluke that I will never figure out.  

But, everything's fine now.  It's running 1703, the secondary drive has a partition with the new system image in it (I put a new image on my external HDD, too), and everything is still running after a registry cleaning with the new version of CCleaner.  

I think I sometimes have problems because I'm always messing with things.  LOL.  🙂

maratsade

"It's interesting to note that everything was fine until I cleaned the registry with the new version of CCleaner.  I don't know if that had anything to do with it or it was just coincidence.  Something definitely went wrong with the secondary HDD, though.  I think what was happening is that the system was getting confused on startup and wasn't recognizing the second drive as just being an auxiliary drive and not a system drive.  I don't know why it did this all of a sudden.  I thought, perhaps, the drive went bad, or was going bad, but it's fine.  I did some error checking on the drive with chkdsk and everything was fine.  I guess it's just a fluke that I will never figure out. "

It's odd that it happened just after you used the new version of CCleaner -- but like you say, that may just have been coincidence.  It's good that everything's fine now, and you got to go through the Creators update twice! And lived to tell the tale! 🙂

I guess that to figure it out you'd have to try to replicate the error -- I personally wouldn't mess with it, but you could, since you like to mess with things. 🙂

GabeU

maratsade wrote: 

I guess that to figure it out you'd have to try to replicate the error -- I personally wouldn't mess with it, but you could, since you like to mess with things. 🙂

Trust me, when I ran CCleaner after everything was reinstalled I was a bit nervous.  I had already saved the system image before doing so, but when the computer was restarting I was watching and watching, just waiting for that rotating thing to stop doing so and for the computer to just sit there.  When it completed its startup it was a heck of a relief, that's for sure!  🙂

Hi Gabe

So I brought this up with the team and they are looking into it. I will let you know what they tell me. 

Regarding CCleaner, just a word of warning... its known that the more recent versions of CCleaner and Windows 10 have issues when you clean the registry. Apparently CCleaner will think some important and essential app/program extensions or keys are expired, broken, etc and remove them. My advice is to run the reg cleaner, save the backup file and then clean. Be sure to manually look at the results for anything you believe needs to stay.

Amanda

GabeU

@Amanda

I always try make sure that what CCleaner is going to clean out is not something that could cause problems.  Then again, I don't know enough about the registry that I would notice everything that might do that.  With that said, I always make sure to backup the registry before the cleaning. My Documents folder, at this point, has 48 registry backups from CCleaner, going back to mid 2016.  That's basically all that folder has in it.  LOL.  

I think what happened was probably just coincidence and didn't really have anything to do with the registry cleaning with the new version of CCleaner, but I'll keep my eye on it, nonetheless.  I could have been anything that I had done previous to the cleaning that caused it, or even nothing that I had done.  CCleaner just happened to be the last thing I ran and did before attempting to restart the computer.    

I think it's about time that I get a new, larger, external HDD so that I have enough room to save a few more system images, and save them more often.  Perhaps even one every week.  That certainly would have saved me from that mess.  Of course, had I not jumped the gun in assuming it was an OS corruption I wouldn't have gone through the entire system image restoration and update debacle in the first place.  🙂

maratsade

@GabeU wrote:

maratsade wrote: 

Trust me, when I ran CCleaner after everything was reinstalled I was a bit nervous.  I had already saved the system image before doing so, but when the computer was restarting I was watching and watching, just waiting for that rotating thing to stop doing so and for the computer to just sit there.  When it completed its startup it was a heck of a relief, that's for sure!  🙂

I couldn't stand the tension, which is why I tend to be very cautious when doing any of these things, or I outright don't do them. I'm chicken!

GabeU

I performed the upgrade to the Hughesnet Usage Meter version 6.6.1 and it's missing the info, as well, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled version 6.5.3.  

Thanks for posting back on this latest 6.6.1 update to let us know it's still missing this pertinent info, I agree, without it the meter is really not as useful as previous versions.

I made a thread about it here when it was first removed in 6.6.0, I'm still waiting for it to be put back too (Back to 6.5.3 for now)
6.6.0 Usage meter - Data Cycle Info Missing

@GabeUWhere can I go to download 6.5.3?

GabeU

@wildcats198308

I don't know if it's available anywhere now, unfortunately.  

I think the only option would be if someone has uploaded it to a file sharing service.  I tried, in the past, to upload files both through zippyshare and DropBox, but both ended up being more problematic than they were worth, at least for me.  I, personally, don't trust their programs being downloaded to my computer anymore.  

If you know of a trusted file sharing service that allows a person to just upload the file to their site without having to install anything on their computer, and it's free, I'd be happy to upload the 6.5.3 installation file that I have.  I always download the new file instead of doing the upgrade through the popup, and I've got all of them saved back through version 6.2.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

GabeU

@BirdDog

Does 4shared require anything to be downloaded and installed on your computer?  If not, I might try their file sharing in the future.  

Also, is that 6.5.3 that you uploaded?  It's considerably smaller than the file I have.  And, unfortunately, 6.5.3 is the earliest meter I could get to work with Gen5.  Previous ones wouldn't connect or show anything.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It is 6.2 and working on Gen4 right now, so don't know about Gen5. As far as I know 4shared doesn't require anything except maybe logging in with an account like Google, Facebook, etc. and maybe not even that for just a download.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Fairly large download as this contains multiple versions of the status meter, along with a few other files...

Use the modified files (stops the update checking) at your own risk, it's recomended you don't use older versions of the status meter.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fp35ou6jpo9ocdr/Status%20Meter%20Modification.zip?dl=0

Also, if I am not mistaken, the older status meter didn't display tokens when you would go to purchase them, it does in the latest version... You also need to use the latest version should you want to easily change video data saver options with out having to log in.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Gen4 so I don't have the video switch anyway in the meter. Only installed and uploaded the old 6.2 to see if it worked since the question was asked. Is nice to see the old "where you stand" bar on the bottom and the much better usage graph. Sure hope they get it together with the newer meter. It kind of sucks right now IMO.