GEN 5, Beam 5 DO NOT BUY GEN 5!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swissvalleygal
Freshman

GEN 5, Beam 5 DO NOT BUY GEN 5!

I upgraded to Gen 5 November, 2017 from Gen 4.  I had Gen 4 since 2009.  I have run a business on Gen 4 since 2009.  Sometimes not great, but most of the time adequate.  I upgraded because they told me I would get 25 mbps down.  THEY LIED.  I have been reading posts on this community for a couple of months.  I was talking to support for over 6 months.  I kept months of speed records on mytest.  i have struggled through my business work in tears sometimes.  I was sent to enhanced support many times.  They cut my fee in half, but still, after over 8 months - NO SOLUTION TO THE SLOW/DISAPPERING/NON EXISTENT internet connection.  I never know from one minute to the next if I am connected or not.  I have a business that has been hugely impacted financially, I have no other service available and I have been stuck with driving every day to the nearest city or working for 3x the hours to complete a project.  I believe this is fraud.  Hughesnet is still selling this service in our area and it is apparent by the community response that almost NO ONE is getting even close to what they are buying.  It is not worth the half price I pay.  It has been the most frustrating experience of my life (besides divorce).  I see no solution in the future so I recommend to EVERYONE do not buy this service.  Adding my gas bill to town to the loss in business income, I should be charging Hughesnet over $2500 per month.  What to do?  Someone tell me because I am losing a business I have run for over 25 years!

11 REPLIES 11
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Do you have a business or a residential account?  This support community is for residential users -- if you are a business user, you need to call 800-347-3272.

I am one person with one account installed in my home.  I do work from my home, but I have no employees, no other connections and no other devices besides my laptop and my cell phone.  I am a residential customer who uses the internet about 6 hours per day.  I have the largest package available, paying almost $100 per month.  I had Gen 4 and below since 2009 and it worked fine.  I am a single person, with a single computer connection working out of my home.

maratsade

If you're a residential customer, you've come to the right place.  I'm going to tag two Hughesnet employees who monitor these boards, but they are off on the weekends, so it's likely you won't hear till sometime next week.

In the meantime, there are many customers on the boards with impressive technical expertise and knowledge of the system, and I'm sure one or more will chime in and attempt to get you started. 

@Amanda

@Liz

GabeU

@swissvalleygal wrote:

I kept months of speed records on mytest. 

It would be a good idea to post your test results URL as those test results will surely help the reps.  

gokartergo24
Tutor

Sorry to correct you.. But I'm pretty sure Gen 4 started in late 2011. To maybe the first part of 2012. I might be off a little.. But Gen 4 was not around in 2009.. Spaceway 9000 was.

GabeU

@gokartergo24 wrote:

Sorry to correct you.. But I'm pretty sure Gen 4 started in late 2011. To maybe the first part of 2012. I might be off a little.. But Gen 4 was not around in 2009.. Spaceway 9000 was.

From what I could find, the official Gen4 launch was on Oct 1st 2012.  

Capture.JPG

@GabeU

Thanks. I knew it was the end of a year. Just missed be a year.. I'm getting old...LOL

maratsade

@gokartergo24 wrote:

Thanks. I knew it was the end of a year. Just missed be a year.. I'm getting old...LOL

Not yet -- you didn't use expressions like "In my time" or "kids today, huh?"

Sounds like you might have a physical problem with your installation, that's just now showing up with Gen5.

I agree with your subject though.  I wish I was still on Gen4.  My problem is data usuage. but that's another story.  I get speeds of over 28

Liz

Hi swissvalleygal,

Thanks for posting, we can certainly look into this for you. I ran remote diagnostics on your system and found everything to be working properly. If you have current testmy.net test results, please post your results URL here so we can evaluate.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!