cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GEN 5 Upgrade Problems

Professor

Re: GEN 5 Upgrade Problems

"Are they going to fly up and fix it?    Or are you talking about the beam up?   I'm confused ,  Are people on different Beam IDs in different parts of the country?  I've been googling around to see if iI could find out, without much success though."

People are on different "beams." I'm on Beam 68, for example. I'm not sure if there's a reliable map anywhere.

What they're going to do is probably deploy a fix to the system that handles your "beam."

Freshman

Thanks, I switched source Eathernet went to "Status" and set as metered on. Three qwick tests: 7.84 Miami. 15.32 Dallas and 25.96 Chicago, definitly improvement.

@maratsade wrote:

What they're going to do is probably deploy a fix to the system that handles your "beam."

Thanks for your reply.

That's what's confusing  me.  I thought the system that handled my beam was my dish and modem.  I guess it's more complicated than that.

Years ago ( when you are my age ( 71 ) it seems like everything you remember was years ago )  I was having trouble, so I talked to a Directway CS guy, who although he was hard to understand, was very knowledgeable.  He talked me through some config changes to the modem that solved all of my problems. Did he have me change my beamid?  I don't remember.

Anyway I' still looking for some info on all this stuff.

Hello! I'm going to try to explain this as painlessly as possible.  I've stolen some graphics from our website and re-arranged them Smiley Happy

First, we build a cool satellite and shoot it into space. We test it out and make sure it's working as intended then open it up to the general public. Once it's on the rocket and blasting off, we can only make adjustments to the panel angles, position, stuff like that. Most of the time the birds go up with extra equipment on board for future implementations (like the 4x4 switch on a truck). When we refer to "beams", they are technically known as spot beams but do what you think they do - "shine" down a blanket of coverage over the US to provide our services! 

When you see us say things like "performance improvements" or "network changes", we're referring to changes being made in 1 or 2 places (sometimes both). One may be at the Gateway, which are manned buildings filled with hardware we use to move traffic around. There are many across America, Mexico and Canada. 

The improvements or changes can come in the form of a couple of common forms like updated hardware or coding changes made at the Gateway or deployed right to your modem through a firmware update that gets automatically downloaded to your modem. These are usually reserved for small tweaks and changes.

In your case, the improvements are being made at the Gateway. I hope I was able to get that across clearly!

Freshman

I think that was a great explanation. Thanks Amanda

Professor

Why are the ground stations on the opposite side of the country from the user?

Thanks Amanda.

Good morning!

Glad I got across well Smiley Happy @maratsade - it's not required, but to my knowledge this is considered a 'best practice'. Since a gateway has to be inside of the satellite beam, this means traffic is moving back and forth all the time. Combining traffic managed by a gateway and local traffic, you'd have more congestion. Essentially, assigning a gateway outside of the customer's beam helps to increase capacity.

It should be noted that there are extra gateways in addition to the ones we normally use, which are for the purpose of redundancy in case a fiber line is cut or something happens to cause that gateway to be otherwise unusable for a period of time. 

~Amanda

Professor

That's clever! Thank you, @Amanda.

Freshman

Here are today's test results for comparison.

Individual Results

ms          Mbps         mi     

Date/Time  Ping    Dn      Up   Distance    Server Location                Provider

6/25/2018
2:36 PM
~ 950
Chicago, IL
Speedtest.net
HughesNet

6/25/2018
2:35 PM
~ 200
Miami, FL
Speedtest.net
HughesNet