GEN4 Is Slow

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dacarrigan
Spectator

GEN4 Is Slow

Why, when I run speed test, they are always less than 59% of the highest number ( 12 and 1)?? This is in direct conflect with your adverstised claims, it is not fast.
14 REPLIES 14
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Run speed tests from where? Post some screen shots of results. Only third party test they accept is Testmy.net 12 MB manual download test and 3 MB manual upload test.

Speed is advertised as "up to" in all ads.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I ran a test this morning out of curiosity, and got 2.41 Mbps up and 4.2 Mbps down. Not sure if that's good or bad -- as long as the system does what I need it to do and it feels fast-ish to me, I'm OK.  I have the Gen4 15/50 plan, but it's no longer available in my area, so I don't know what the advertised speed is.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I still believe things are going on behind the scenes with beams and gateways getting ready for the new satellite, causing some unusual things. An upload speed of 2.41 is pretty high normally. Especially on the weekend.

Here are the plans,what is offered varies by area: (click on pic to enlarge)

dacarrigan
Spectator

It just took me 30 minutes to get logged in.  My test are made from my account "speed test" on Hughes Net. 
dacarrigan
Spectator

That up to crap is for the birds,  as I said it jus took me 30 minutes to get logged on
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Open the modems SCC at 192.168.0.1

are both the icon at the top of the screen green?

Are you in FAP?

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

dacarrigan, you have started you're own post here. It is where the official rep will reply probably on Monday. We (other customers) can also try to help until then as Gwalk is above.

Really fruitless to post the same thing, or almost the same, in other people's threads. This is where you can expect an answer from an official representative the first part of the week.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Yup, we have seen rhetoric but nothing factual.

For all we know the OP is in FAP or has a 30.1.1 code going that could be fixed in a few mouse click.

maratsade

Here are the plans,what is offered varies by area: (click on pic to enlarge)
I see that for my plan, the advertised speed is up to 10 down and 2 up.  Just tested again, got 17.2 down and 1.3 up.  Excellent!  ETA: that said, I tested the speed at work and it's a lot more, like 32+ down.  But I perceive it as being only a smidgen faster then HN.  It doesn't feel twice as fast .
maratsade

That up to crap is for the birds,  as I said it jus took me 30 minutes to get logged on
That "up to crap" is how it is advertised and it's how it works due to the way the technology works   So it took you 30 minutes to get logged on. Means there's an issue that needs to be worked on, which could very well be on your end.  You can provide the information people ask you for and get this worked on, or you can sit at home and whine that it takes you 30 minutes to log on.  Your choice, but you'd get better results if you actually did something about the problem.
GabeU

dacarrigan,

Here's what you need to do to address your speed issues.

Create an account at http://testmy.net/.  While signed into that account, and using a single device connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable (NO ROUTER), perform a batch of three download tests using the manual 12MB test size, spacing each test five minutes apart.  If you can, run a batch of tests a few times throughout the day, preferably in the morning, afternoon and evening.  After you have run some tests, click on the Results tab, then copy the URL in the address bar of the Results page and paste it into a post on here.  It will look like the following, but with your testmy.net user name where it says [yourusername].

http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

Most important points...

Create an account at testmy.net
Run the tests while signed into that account
Run the tests with a single device connected directly to the Hughesnet Modem with a LAN cable (NO ROUTER)
Use the manual 12MB sized file for download tests
Space each test at least five minutes apart
Post your results here by posting the Results page URL, which will look like this... http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

Amanda

Hi dacarrigan,

We all want to help but need a starting line to get to the finish line. GabeU has given you the right instructions to begin.

Thank you,
Amanda
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

So it took you 30 minutes to get logged on. Means there's an issue that needs to be worked on
Spot on. This is not a speed issue - it's a connectivity issue.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

So it took you 30 minutes to get logged on. Means there's an issue that needs to be worked on
Spot on. This is not a speed issue - it's a connectivity issue.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com