cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen 4 Performance is sub par

Gen 4 Performance is sub par

I've been using Gen4 since upgrading in late fall last year. Performance has never been fabulous, but of late its been bad enough that in the evening I've had to give up trying to browse.

I have an HT1100 modem S/N B30010598301 A8

I've pasted in images of my speed tests from this past Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

Considering the advertised speed of 12 megabits per second and even considering a performance hit at "busy" times, the numbers are a pretty big disappointment.

There doesn't appear to be a problem between the modem and my computers since we can see that when the speed is there, I get the performance.

I have four computers here, one running Windows XP, one running Windows 8.1, one running Ubuntu Linux 14.10 and one netbook running Ubuntu Linux 14.04. All four suffer the same with no performance improvement when connected directly to the modem.

I wasn't expecting cable performance when I upgraded but I'm pretty unhappy with what I'm seeing here.

Merritt
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Gen 4 Performance is sub par

I just had my HughesNet Gen4 hooked up. I purchased the best package they had, and I have to say, I am not satisfied with this at all. I download audio several times a day and upload the same audio to different servers for radio stations. My audio is 2 minutes in length, 20 minutes and thirty minutes in length. A total of 26 audio programs. On my telephone wired modem, it took me just over 20 minutes to get this job done. On this Gen4 it takes over thirty minutes. I just wish someone could explain to me why satellite is supposed to be better, faster, etc., etc. I do not see it at all. I probably will not stay with HughesNet, because I don't see paying for something that is worse than what I had been using.

Hi Daniel,

I've created a new thread to focus on addressing your concerns.

-Liz

Please reference the new conversation here: I purchased the best package they had, and I have to say, I am not satisfied with...
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Good morning Merritt,

Thank you for providing us the information needed to locate your account. I'm glad that you have already run several of our speed tests, which helps us even more. We'll be taking an in-depth look at your system to determine what would cause your poor performance and check back with you to report our findings. I appreciate your patience.

Thanks,
Amanda

Thanks Amanda. I appreciate your taking the time to give it a look.

Merritt

Amanda:

It's been a week now and I've heard nothing. I've been with Hughes since 2006 and have found phone support to be abysmal. This BBS is beginning to feel the same.

Merritt
Highlighted

Merritt: I wish my speeds were as good as yours. I keep hearing that mine are normal. As soon as I can find another provider, this excuse for an internet provider is gone! Unfortunately like so many others there is not a lot of choice where I live.

Hello Merritt,

I can assure you that we did escalate your concerns to a specific group of engineers who are looking into your concerns. Unfortunately we have not received an update from them, but we know that it is already in good hands. I have also placed an appropriate credit on your account until we can get this resolved for you.

Thank you,
Amanda

Thanks Amanda. I'll try to remain patient.

Hi Merritt,

I know this is over a week into your concern, however I would like to see how your performance is now. On 4/14 some changes were made to your route and should have improved your service. Have you had any change in speeds or browsing? Let me know!

Have a good weekend,
Amanda