cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen 4 Upgrade runs out every month

Freshman

Gen 4 Upgrade runs out every month

Ever since upgrading to the Gen 4 system a few months ago we have either run out of data before the end of the month or run very low, even when we are totally gone for a week or more out of the house.  We never had this kind of data problems under the old system.  I will have to use one or more tokens again this month to make it to the 1st of November.  We don't stream anything.  Liked the old system data availability better. 
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Gen 4 Upgrade runs out every month

When I first got onto Gen 4 I had little problem with staying within the limits. But soon I found that we were exceeding the limit in the last couple of months. 

My wife designs web sites. With the changes happening to the web, with the cloud and media demand the 20gb we pay for each month is easily exceeded by mid term. we try to use the extra 20GB at the off hours but as part of our business means we don't get to bed until midnight or later those hours are not practical as out brains is not quite functional with a lack of sleep.

The speeds are nice but we would be much happier to have 6MB  uploads with no limits that the higher speeds we have with Gen4. It seems as if Hughes comes up with an advance for what they had previously but by the time they have it in service it is behind the curve for what is happening.

I am committed to Hughes as I have no other alternative at present, but if one comes along with higher or no limits for up and down load for service, even if it doesn't have the speeds,  I will leave Hughes as quick as I can.
Freshman

We also have no other options, unless you consider dial-up an option.  We have had Hughesnet since 2006 and have been happy until this Gen4 upgrade.  Like I said, we rarely ran out of data on the old system.  Also with the Gen4, I have to constantly refresh to get a website to load.  I have deleted cookies and everything and the problem still happens.  Refresh, refresh, refresh.  In September we were gone for 2 whole weeks out of the month, and we still ran out of data.

Now today I have run out of date, but I can't even load a token.  Gives me an error message and so I try again.  But, still not able to load a token. 

Assistant Professor

You may have equipment problems. Are you connected directly to the modem or do you use a router?

I ask because of the refresh problem you mention and the inability to apply a token.
Freshman

No, we do not have a wireless router at this time.  Had a problem with the router so we disconnected it a while ago.

so I am new to hughesnet because I don't have any other option,I am concerned that my usage will exceed what I am allowed given the explanation that was given to me. Can you tell me a little bit about the amount of time you spend on the Internet and how that equates to the usage limits

The last couple of months we have exceeded our download limits. This month by quite a bit. I have 5 days left in our cycle and I may have to purchase another 2gb, which means we have exceeded our limit by over 12gb this month. Part of the reason is the new laptop which by the time I had upgraded to windows 8.1 as well as updating software I had used nearly 10 gb and we were only a couple of days into the new cycle. 

Also, now that my wife is using several programs on the Cloud to do her work we are eating through our limits far more rapidly than I would have expected.  At first 20gb seemed like a lot but now I don't see how we can stay within those limits. For much of what she has to do can't be done within the bonus bytes. 

The other problem is both of us have a tablet which also we download using Gen4.  Most of that is done during the off peak though. I have also been trying to figure out how I can stop the videos from loading on certain sites. Often I don't need to watch a video on those media sites that feature  the same information in the written page. 

It seems as if everyone is putting videos up on their sites that auto start. That means we are eating up mb at a rate we don't need to.
Assistant Professor

Folkmuse, using ANY cloud service is not wise with limited satellite allowance.

As far as ads and video blocking, there are AdBlock and FlashBlock plug-ins for your browser.
Assistant Professor

Britt, a network usage monitor program like Net Guard or Networx will help you see how much you are using in a day then you can multiply by 30.

Only works on the computer you have it installed on though unless you have a fancy router capable of monitoring different device usage.

Thank you