cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen 4 Upgrade runs out every month

Freshman

Re: Gen 4 Upgrade runs out every month

Well, that article was no help on data drainage.  We don't have any streaming service like Roku, we use Windows 7 Home Edition, Kindle Fire is set on manual updates only (so I update it at another place on my terms). 
Alum

Robert,

Thanks for the reply and we appreciate your cooperation. Let us proceed to the next step of data usage testing. Please follow the instructions below:

- Warren
Freshman

I will try and do that over the weekend.  Question is:  how do I take a screen shot?

I don't think there is a Gen 4 customer anywhere that doesn't have to buy tokens to get through their reset time.  But according to HughesNet, WE are to blame and it has nothing to do with them.  I've been told that cell phones, iPad, X Boxes, television and even the refrigerator can use your bandwidth!!  If that's the case, then HughesNet needs to take into consideration for these extras and increase our bandwidths.  Apparently you cannot read the news online because of the videos, the same with FB and just about any page you read!  This is ridiculous so why even have internet if you can't use it for enjoyment.  I spend so much time worrying about what's eating my bandwidth, it's hard to enjoy anything.
Alum

Robert,

You can use the Snipping tool.  Depending on your operating system, a quick Google search should help you. Please let us know if you need additional assistance.

- Warren

Robert,  I don't know if Windows 7 had the snipping tool but Windows 8 does.  Just go to your control panel and type snipping tool in the search box to see if you have one.  But, let me say this first.  What they are having you do is exactly what they had me do and, of course, there will be NO useage.  Next they will want you to plug your computer directly to the modem with a LAN line.  At some point they will offer their Home Technical Support to help you and I've been warned by other Hughes customers that they CHARGE for this service!  This is a no win situation with HughesNet.  They will never admit that Gen 4 has some sort of flaw that eats everybody's bandwidth.  Read all the comments in the Community section and you will see no favorable comment and the complaints are all the same but, of course, the whole issue is OUR fault.  All we do is read Yahoo email, read news and visit Facebook and we still have to buy at least 3 tokens to get through our month.
Honorary Alumnus

Yes, Win7 has the snipping tool.

Robert,

A year or so ago I too had to switch from my trusty HN7000s to a Gen4 system.

Needless to say there are some major differences.

We have, posted at the Shack a number of FAQ's and How-To's posted.

Snipping Tool:

http://www.ricksyakshack.com/view_topic.php?id=9238&forum_id=73

Usage monitoring tools:

http://www.ricksyakshack.com/view_topic.php?id=9361&forum_id=73

The differences between system platforms and plans:

http://www.ricksyakshack.com/view_topic.php?id=8945&forum_id=73

Understanding your modems SCC (System Control Center):

http://www.ricksyakshack.com/view_topic.php?id=9263&forum_id=73

Hopefully some of that information will ease the pain of the transition.

Freshman

Well, folks, we are now to the 21st of November.  I have turned off all devices overnight for the past week.  turn them on again between 6  or 7 am to get any automatic updates. Every night before turning off, I note what my data meter reads, and then at 8 am I have verified that the data usage meter is at the same percent as when it was turned off the night before. 

This morning I had 17% data remaining.  As I type this I now have 10 % remaining.  The computer was also turned off for over 5 hours during the day today.  So, as of right now, it has only been used for about 12 hours total.  So, here is what I have figured out:

The speeds are great.  BUT, because of the numerous dropped pages due to the speed, we constantly have to refresh pages, which takes up data.  I was unaware until reading some other posts that uploads count against data usage also.  This is unacceptable!

So, under our old plan before the forced "upgrade" to Gen4, we were able to upload for "free" and we rarely ran out of data doing the exact same stuff we do every day now.  It was never explained to us that even though we were getting a higher data usage plan, that uploads would be counted toward the limit.  I actually thought that I would be able to edit some photos and send them off to be printed from my computer, like I used to do with the old system.  Silly me. 

Now I get mailings and ads on the HughesNet home page about getting phone service through our internet service?  I don't think so.

Now I am having to go to a public hotspot, or to another house that has Verizon internet, to do things such as simply surfing Ebay, or looking at some photos in DropBox, or heaven forbid, look at a one minute video on You Tube. 

Not a happy customer at all as I don't believe was I am getting is what was described when I was forced to upgrade. 

Assistant Professor

Robert, if you upload a lot, especially large photo and video files, you will not be happy with Gen4. Just a fact. ALL usage counts on Gen4, download and upload.
Freshman

Nope, we do not upload any photos anymore.  We learned not to do that a few months ago.  I have to go someplace else to do that.

I wanted to get a new computer system, but everything comes with Windows 8, which I understand eats up data even faster than my Windows 7 Home Premium.

If I had a choice for internet, I would dump HughesNet at this point.  But, I have no choice other than going back to dial-up.