cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen 4 Upgrade runs out every month

Re: Gen 4 Upgrade runs out every month

For the first time since being on Gen 4 I still have bandwidth left with 6 days left before it re-sets.  You would think I would be thrilled but I am far from thrilled.  I use Firefox and I've turned off the Shockwave Flash that prevents all the videos from playing when I'm, for instance, reading a news article on Yahoo.  I will never understand all the rules that HughesNet has in place in order to stay within your bandwidth.  You would think that 10gb would be ample to do "normal" browsing of the internet.  Bottom line is HughesNet AND all these other satellite companies know they have us over a barrel and we can either go back to dial up or throw our computers in the trash.  You would think that ONE of them would want to step up and make their customers happy and thereby taking away all the customers.  If you will notice in the comment section of the Community, EVERYBODY is basically complaining about the same thing but WE are the one's doing something wrong not the satellite companies.  Since they know there are videos on these news articles and other places, they should adjust their usage for such things.  WE don't ask to see the videos and WE cannot help that they are there but WE are being screwed and NOT the satellite companies.  I could still spit nails over the way we are all being treated.

Robert,
A lot of folks that have W-8-8.1 don't think about the data that is used up from the fancy start screen constantly changing. They leave the computer on but wonder where the data went since they were not using it. Microsoft realizes that many folks have metered connections so they built a metered connection set up into it that you can use to save data much easier than doing all the piecemeal bits required in W-7.
Complete directions are on their site.
Don't let others that haven't bothered to learn W-8 scare you off.
Ron
Assistant Professor

I've had 8.1 Pro 64-bit for quite some time. All is good except a system wide problem I believe exists. Download not counting for a period right after refill, then too much being deducted near zero allowance left or when using token bytes.

Robert,

If you intend to use W-8.1 as a desktop computer interface, like W-7 with 2 simple clicks in the "Taskbar Navigation tab" you can have W-8.1 open directly in the desktop mode instead of the tiled UI. That alone saves time as well as data usage.

There was an additional update to Windows last Tuesday, only a little over 5 MB.

Quick Time had about 44 MB Your virus program undoubtedly downloaded updates a number of times and the browsers had some update activity.

Even though you have most things set to manual you would be surprised at the activity going up and down in the background. If you haven't installed a Usage meter on your pc yet you might want to try something like "Net Guard" which is free and will give you an indication of what programs are using the net and how much. It also can give you a .pdf report of any period. I've used it for over a month now, thanks to Gwalk's suggestion, and find it very useful. It does report back to the vendor but uses very little data allowance to do so.

Ron

Alum

Robert,

We are still awaiting the results from your data usage screenshots. Can you please post your screenshots from the usage test we posted above? This will help us troubleshoot to identify the cause of drain.

We are eagerly awaiting your results.

- Warren.