Gen 4 slow down...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

Gen 4 slow down...

Has anyone noticed a massive slow down on Gen 4, starting about Sept 21st and continuing to today?  I'm getting about 20 % of my previous speed, and well below the contract speed I'm paying for.

4 REPLIES 4
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

To help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 12MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen4 Service Plan
-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hi Kirk, all good here especially during the daytime on beam 36. Slows down during peak time but still usable even for streaming at low definition on Netflix. Would help others to chime in on their experience if you posted your beam number.

YJexhil8V

In response to the comments that have been posted, I am on beam 14.  I am a participant in the Sam Knows study, which monitors my connection performance almost constantly, and provides up to the minute graphing and statistics over multiple time frames.  In my case, the graph drops like a rock about 9/21, and has stayed there ever since.  The degradation is very noticeable in overall performance.

Congrats for being a member of the Sam Knows study, I am also a participant, that doesn't change that if you wish to troubleshoot your speeds that you must perform the steps outlined above, once done, a moderator will usually start a case for you and forward your results to engineering.