cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen 4 upgraded but still have the old modem, HN9000?

Gen 4 upgraded but still have the old modem, HN9000?

We upgraded to Gen 4 several months ago but we are still using the old modem we had.  I thought that we would see faster speeds but unfortunately we have not.  I still can't watch a video without it buffering forever.   I live in South Carolina and I have seen the map about the new modems etc for Eastern part of the US.   Do I need to contact Hughesnet about this?    The speeds are less than stellar especially after more than doubling our monthly cost.   
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Gen 4 upgraded but still have the old modem, HN9000?

Thanks Mordacious!   Our # is SAN#DSSXXXXXXX
Assistant Professor

You can't connect an HT1000/1100 modem to the 9000 radio plus takes re-aiming to the Jupiter satellite beam versus Spaceway satellite.

Will take new equipment and installer visit, plus new 2 year contract I'm sure.

So, why did this not happen when we called and upgraded?  It took 15 minutes after the phone call was made and then we were Gen 4.  I assumed that was all there was too it.  Obviously, they skipped some steps?
Assistant Professor

There are two different levels of Gen4. The one that uses the Spaceway satellite and the one that uses the Jupiter satellite. Some areas are covered by both such as you, others only have one or the other.

You would have had to tell them you wanted the newer satellite service. Again, that will take an equipment change and service call.
Alum

Hi Lori,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I was able to pull up your account and see that you are currently subscribed to our Max plan with our HT1000 modem. From your case history you have always had the HT1000 modem. However what I can do is upgrade you to our newer modem.

Many users have seen an improvement in overall performance with this change. I'm confident with our latest equipment you should see some difference. Once you receive it, please test out your system for a few days and keep us posted on your performance. You should receive the modem in a few days. We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we help to address your concerns. 

Thank you,
Chris

Oops...I thought I knew what modem we had.  I was at work so I couldn't confirm.  Thanks for your reply.