cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen 5 Compatibility with Mac Sierra

Assistant Professor

Gen 5 Compatibility with Mac Sierra

Recently upgraded to Gen 5 from Gen 4 (05 May) and am seeing some things that seem to be isolated to usage with MacOs Sierra.

1. Data usage appears to be a lot higher than expected. For example, I downloaded around 100MB of updates this morning, but the usage meter shows I used 350MB. Mac was only thing using the pipe and I waited about 10-15 minutes settling time after bootup to account for startup usage (ClamAV virus definitions, etc.). Difference in usage meter went from 6.50GB before downloads, to 6.85GB after downloads. Sorry, but I forgot to take screen shots of the usage meter.

2. Download speeds appear to be capped to around 12.3Mbps or less as measured in iStat - roughly half what's expected. There are little to few interruptions or even variations in the data stream, but I expect that being in Hughes' configuration for initial setups.

I see no high usage from other devices when I isolate them (e.g, TV, XBox, DirecTV boxes, or even iPhone/iPads), just Macs (we have 2 of them). I also have no way to measure speed on those other devices, but they appear to be ok for simple traffic within apps.

I seem to remember there was a problem previously with Macs on Gen4 that ultimately was resolved. Unfortunately I can't find the discussion of how it was solved in the new community system.

That said, I seem to recall it was something to do with the way packets were acknowledged (or their timing) in MacOS that caused multiple packet sends. This would seem to appear to cause higher data usage while resulting in lower throughput speed. Perhaps this problem crept back into Gen 5 software? - just guessing at this point.

Other than this, it seems to operating fine (other than the very occasional DNS error).

If Liz or Amanda could help me with diagnosing this that would be great.

Mark

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: Gen 5 Compatibility with Mac Sierra

Follow-up:
Not sure why it never occurred to me to try using the HT2000W's built-in router instead of the external Linksys EA4500 that I had been using. Doing that certainly resolved the speed issue! Smiley Surprised
Will continue to test to see if it solves the data usage issue as well.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Professor

Mark, that's cool that you were able to resolve the speed issue!  I had wanted to say that I experience no big differences between operating systems, though the Mac (with Sierra) seems a skosh faster than Windows.

Assistant Professor

Thanks maratsade. I actually saw a contiguous download stream hit around 50Mbps, but don't tell anyone at Hughes, 'cause they'll take it away from me. lol. Seriosuly though, Gen5 speed is quite impressive when it kicks in.

As a result, I've gone through and moved everything over to the internal router with the exception of an ancient game adapter I'd been using as the access point for one of my DirecTV boxes. It's not terribly compatible with WPA/WPA2 and TKIP/AES. Replacing that as soon as possible.

The downside of having the higher speed is that the data leakage can now slip by so fast you don't notice it if you're not looking. Usage jumped by 1GB in under 15 minutes around noontime according to the HughesNet iOS app (for me, it's more accurate and timely than the Usage Meter), so still trying to isolate that problem. Can't pinpoint when it occurred, so I can't correlate it back to an event that makes much sense.

Bottom line, it's most likely not the Sierra compatibility thing I thought it was. Something else is clearly going on.

Professor

Wow. I clocked 75Mbps once for a couple of minutes, but my speeds are much slower in general, though they do measure higher than Gen 4.

"Usage jumped by 1GB in under 15 minutes around noontime according to the HughesNet iOS app"

Yikes. Something's gobbling up data, for sure. Do you have any idea how you're going to catch the culprit?

Assistant Professor

The process of elimination procedure they recommend here is probably the best one: turn things off for a day and see if it does or doesn't happen again. I may have to modify that slightly by doing it in 'zones' to narrow it down, otherwise it'll take a lot longer than I have bandwidth for with all the devices I have hanging off this.

That procedure will only work if it's an issue with something intentionally 'phoning home' on its own. It could be something completely different from that, as I'm seeing a few uplink errors in the high-level diagnostic display. Can't quantify it though, since users can no longer can see the detailed diagnostic reports on these newer devices.

Sophomore

Not sure if this will help or not, but I had a similar "data loss" using my MacBook Pro after upgrading to Sierra.  Though I am not currently on Gen5 (waiting for my electrician to wire the copper conductor coax then to Gen5), I was getting a massive data loss around mid-day and I isolated it to my Mac.  On advice from my son (who worked for Apple), I turned off "Find My Mac" and the data loss stopped.  Turns out that Apple initiates communication with your system which moves lots of data up to Apple to support that feature.  I am also assuming you are not using iCloud Drive daily which can also cause massive data transfers depending on your set-up. 

Good luck and keep us Mac users up-to-date on what you find.

Cheers cybercycle1... completely forgot about that.

Turns out "Find My..."was turned on my iPhone and 2 iPads but not my two MBPs. So, that could have definitely contributed. All of those are now turned off.

Have also taken to looking at the Activity Monitor on both MBPs to look for Data Received spikes under "Network" to try and isolate those. One machine was on all day and didn't register anything close to a 1GB, so that's good to know. Forgot to check the other before it was turned off.

We only use iCloud for the simple things like notes, calendars, reminders and contacts. No drive, photos, backups or anything (and especially not keychain).

Sophomore

Happy you are narrowing down your data drain.  Turning the "Find My MacBook" (or an IOS device) off will stop a lot of that hidden data drain.  Other features to consider turning off are "Background App Refresh", "Share iPhone Analytics" (sends data to Apple), and limiting the number of Apps and Contacts that you share your location...under Privacy/Location Services.

Seems that when we upgrade the OS/OIS, Apple turns these features back on.  It can take a bit of time to track them down and turn them off...keeping a check-list helps too.

I almost forgot to mention that the latest iOS update (Ver: 10.3.1) has a feature that will switch ON your iPhone's WiFi if it cannot connect a call using just your phone service provider's connection.  Once done, your WiFi stays on even after the call is completed.  Unless you see the WiFi icon on your iPhone screen, you won't know that you are now potentially using your WiFi data bandwidth instead of your phone's data plan.  I don't know of a way to turn that feature off, but I learned that it was done to provide 911 calling in weak signal strength areas...assuming there is WiFi available.  Looks like just one more thing to check...it has happened to me several times since upgrading my iOS.