cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen 5 Compatibility with Mac Sierra

Assistant Professor

Re: Gen 5 Compatibility with Mac Sierra

Yup. I've had most of those things turned off, especially the background refresh. I only use that for things that I need to use in the background, such as Runkeeper and other excercise trackers, and some music/podcast players that I use while I run. Everything else I also ensure are not even loaded by swiping it out of the background.

Good to know about the wifi calls too, since cell service in my area is real spotty.

As for the leaks themselves, so far so good. Not to jinx myself, but have only used ~250MB today with no unexpected surprises. It could very well have been the four devices phoning home to Apple all along, but I'm still waiting to see what happens when some other devices are used to rule that in as the solution.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Distinguished Professor III

@cybercycle1 wrote:

Not sure if this will help or not, but I had a similar "data loss" using my MacBook Pro after upgrading to Sierra.  Though I am not currently on Gen5 (waiting for my electrician to wire the copper conductor coax then to Gen5), I was getting a massive data loss around mid-day and I isolated it to my Mac.  On advice from my son (who worked for Apple), I turned off "Find My Mac" and the data loss stopped.  Turns out that Apple initiates communication with your system which moves lots of data up to Apple to support that feature.  I am also assuming you are not using iCloud Drive daily which can also cause massive data transfers depending on your set-up. 

Good luck and keep us Mac users up-to-date on what you find.

I bookmarked this.  It's good to know when people are having data issues and have a Mac, as many of us don't have Macs and aren't aware of what hidden things can use data.  This is good to know.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

@GabeU wrote:

@cybercycle1 wrote:

Not sure if this will help or not, but I had a similar "data loss" using my MacBook Pro after upgrading to Sierra.  Though I am not currently on Gen5 (waiting for my electrician to wire the copper conductor coax then to Gen5), I was getting a massive data loss around mid-day and I isolated it to my Mac.  On advice from my son (who worked for Apple), I turned off "Find My Mac" and the data loss stopped.  Turns out that Apple initiates communication with your system which moves lots of data up to Apple to support that feature.  I am also assuming you are not using iCloud Drive daily which can also cause massive data transfers depending on your set-up. 

Good luck and keep us Mac users up-to-date on what you find.

I bookmarked this.  It's good to know when people are having data issues and have a Mac, as many of us don't have Macs and aren't aware of what hidden things can use data.  This is good to know.  

Happy to help!  I was very active in the "Old" Community and enjoyed lending a hand to the Mac/iOS users along with a bit of help on networks.  It sure looks like the "New" Community and format will be fun and look forward to hanging out from time-to-time.

@cybercycle1 wrote:

Happy you are narrowing down your data drain.  Turning the "Find My MacBook" (or an IOS device) off will stop a lot of that hidden data drain.  Other features to consider turning off are "Background App Refresh", "Share iPhone Analytics" (sends data to Apple), and limiting the number of Apps and Contacts that you share your location...under Privacy/Location Services.

Seems that when we upgrade the OS/OIS, Apple turns these features back on.  It can take a bit of time to track them down and turn them off...keeping a check-list helps too.

I keep the "Find my iPhone" utility turned on because I think it's very helpful -- I haven't noticed huge data drains on that.  I keep the background app refresh turned off because it eats battery.  I turned off location services for a lot of them too, also to save battery.  I keep some on though because they're actually quite helpful at times. 

I will have to be more vigilant about checking whether sneaky Apple has turned them back on, though.  I've noticed Microsoft also reverses settings when it updates.  I hate that.

Assistant Professor

GabeU - For MacOS, the Network section of Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities) is a great tool to see what running applications are using what bandwidth, as well as how much has been used since boot. Good for isolating it from everything else. It's actually how I determined the big 1GB leak wasn't coming from my machine. iOS devices have something similar, but only for cellular bandwidth (Settings/Cellular), so a little harder to detect.

maratsade - Yes, it is frustrating when they change your settings. Apple not only reset the settings to default in the latest rendition of iOS 10, they actually moved "Find my..." when they moved the iCloud settings under your name at the top (in addition to Privacy->Location Services). This makes it that much harder to even find it to turn it back off.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Distinguished Professor III

@MarkJFine

I agree that the Network section of the Activity Monitor is a very good tool for the Mac OS, and I've been recommending that to people with Macs, as it's really the only thing I could find for Macs that could help in determining data usage.  

But, as you inadvertently alluded to, it has a weakness, and that's the fact that it starts anew when it's rebooted.  It sure can help, as is evidence by your experience in using it, but for a long term, slow burn problem it surely lacks.  

It's too bad that Apple doesn't give the ability to monitor data usage long term with it.  Perhaps, in the future, they will change it so one can do so.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

Just to add a point of reference for the native Apple Activity Monitor, here is a link to their Support Document:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201464

@GabeU- Very true. There should be a way to rotate access logs for these things like you have in Linux (which MacOS is based upon). And, just to add to this thought, MacOS has several crons that it kicks off for maintenance purposes where things just start and end on a regular schedule. Some may use internet bandwidth that gets zeroed out in the top part of the display after the process ends so you have no idea how it's been added to the total data received in the bottom part - just that something "happened".

Another Apple-ism that I'm thinking about this morning are dealing with app updates on the various iDevices we have. At some point iOS decided it wasn't going to allow users to copy apps that was originally downloaded/installed on their iDevice back to their computer's iTunes repository during a sync. This is problematic because say you installed an app on your iPhone that you now want on your iPad, and the provider (stupidly, imo) updates that 200MB app on a weekly basis (looking at you, LinkedIn). This becomes a 600MB update as you are now independently having to download it once on your computer, once on your iPhone, and another time on your iPad.

The ultimate solution is to refrain from doing anything with app maintenance on either iDevice. This way you just update it once on your computer then regularly sync it to your iPhone and iPad so you're not wasting bandwidth. Even if you've used your phone's new unlimited LTE to download it, you still don't have a copy of it on your computer's repository, so you end up having to download it again ayway - still wasteful. Been trying to get my wife used to this procedure to no avail and have just spent about 5GB of Bonus allocation to fixing some of this.

Except, I just found this out today... A word of caution if there is an app (or apps) on your iDevice that isn't also on your computer and you download it/them to your computer to try to do a "bulk sync": This might not initially work until you physically tell iTunes to update each specific app on that device. Just to make this process even more annoying, you have to connect the device, go into that device's application list in iTunes on your computer, and click "Update" for each of these silly things that you just downloaded, then hit Apply - it won't be done automatically by just hitting Sync from the Summary.

Remains to be seen if this is just a one-time thing or this persists ad nauseum.

If this isn't the most painful thing ever...

Assistant Professor

Ok, so after disabling "Find my..." on several devices (as well as a few other adjustments) the big drops in data have stopped. It's all pretty much manageable again.

Only a couple of other weirdness items still (e.g., several hard reboots to get the 2000W's internal wifi routers working properly and why I see several transmission errors a day), but those are another topic and not nearly as critical.

Thanks all.

Sophomore

@MarkJFine wrote:

Ok, so after disabling "Find my..." on several devices (as well as a few other adjustments) the big drops in data have stopped. It's all pretty much manageable again.

Only a couple of other weirdness items still (e.g., several hard reboots to get the 2000W's internal wifi routers working properly and why I see several transmission errors a day), but those are another topic and not nearly as critical.

Thanks all.

Happy to see things are getting back to normal.  My Gen5 will be hooked up next week and I'll start the process of learning its kwerks and fixes.  So, I'm guessing I'll probably be seeing you down the road as I get the 2000W set up and working with my Mac's, and I can't wait to see what fun my Sono's subnet system will have with the HN modem.