cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
divinIN
Sophomore

Gen 5 Connectivity Issues - North Idaho

Hello Everyone,

New to Gen5 but not to HughesNet.  Had Gen4 for a couple years then whatever was before that for a little bit.  I work from home and my primary business tool is Skype for Business.  Since switching to Gen5 I have noticed quite a bit of variance in service, which I believe is contributing to, or the cause of, my Skype for Business connectivity issues.  During one 30 minute screen sharing session I was disconnected from the presentation 14 times.  Prior to switching to Gen5 I never had those issues.  Sometimes download is <1M.  Sometimes it is great, but definitely not the consistent level of service I had with Gen4.  The new data plan is nice - I have the top plan in terms of data due to work.  What I have noticed is I have had to reboot my modem pretty consistently, which seems to help sometimes but not always. 

Right now my satellite signal receive strength is 62, gateway 15, beam 5, outroute 9 (not sure what any of that means, but I have seen others post similar info.

I would very much appreciate any help with troubleshooting this.

Thank you.

23 REPLIES 23
Liz

Hi divinIN, 

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting.  After running diagnostics on your site, I'd like to issue a dispatch before we do any further troubleshooting. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Thursday, Nov 9, 2017 between 8:00 AM-11:00 AM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #107337917 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank you Liz.  That time slot is fine.  May I ask what the diagnostics revealed or was it just not conclusive at this point?

Thank you again.

It looked like there may be a radio issue, so I'm replacing your radio (and modem while we're at it).

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

If that solves the problem, *virtual high five*!  This has been a difficult month.  I was working the issue through my corporate Help Desk and through two paths into Microsoft to try to fix the issue.  I will keep you posted, and thanks again.

Hello Liz,

Tech just finished replacing the modem and radio.  I will monitor and report back here with results.

Thank you.

Hello Liz,

Just got off a 30 minute screen sharing session through Skype for Business and was disconnected 15 times.  Smiley Sad

The most telling data point for me right now is this did not happen on Gen4 - very consistent service when I had that.  I'm on gateway 15, beam 5 right now.  Desperate for anything you can do to help here.

Thank you.

Hi divinIN,

Thanks for these updates. I've run new diagnostics on your site and they look fine so far. I've escalated your case to the engineers for their insight.

Hello Liz,

Still experiencing frequent disconnects on critical tools for my job.  Just got off an hour call and I was disconnected at least 15 times.  Every meeting I have I am forced to preface the call with something like, "I'm having frequent issues please forgive me for any delays on my side..."

My overall experience I have to say is pretty frustrating because it is so inconsistent. Things like getting applications from the Apple App Store is very slow, many times disconnecting just trying to download a 30MB or so app update.  Youtube videos are  very frequently buffering a lot more than they were on Gen4.  Any kind of video streaming is very problematic.  For example, I wanted to watch a highlight clip from Motogp.com on the last race and a small 1-2 minute video clip and it probably took 5-6 minutes to watch (buffering).  I ended up killing it half way through because it was so painful.  The strange this is that speed tests don't match what my real experience is.  I can be suffering from many issues with Skype for Business or other issues as noted above and perform a speed test and it is super fast.  I have not found it to be an accurate picture of real life experience at all.  

Liz if you can pass this info up to engineering please do.  I'm rapidly approaching a point where I have to make a decision on what to do next.  I don't have any other options for Internet here except to use a cell carrier like Verizon Mi-Fi.  Although it is expensive, it works.  I know I purchased this new plan on Gen5, but I'm being very honest and saying I actually cannot perform my job as it stands today.  This is impacting my day-to-day ability to function which is just not acceptable. 

Thank you Liz.  I appreciate your help.

Hello Liz,

Just a note in case it adds anything.  My satellite receive signal strength is 37 right now.  I saw it down to 32 just a few minutes ago.

Thank you.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@divinIN

With you being on beam 5, your gateway is located in the Seattle, WA area.  At present, the Seattle area is experiencing some inclement weather, and that can certainly affect your signal strength, similar to the way your signal strength can be affected by weather at your own location.  

@GabeU wrote:

@divinIN

With you being on beam 5, your gateway is located in the Seattle, WA area.  At present, the Seattle area is experiencing some inclement weather, and that can certainly affect your signal strength, similar to the way your signal strength can be affected by weather at your own location.  

Receive signal strength is still in the 30's and my day-to-day job is essentially impossible to do with the current state.  I do understand that some applications are more sensitive to connectivity related issues (I saw a recent thread about RDP).  What I don't understand is why my Gen5 experience is so much worse than Gen4.  I keep kicking myself for switching.  If I was worried about my ability to watch YouTube videos or other consumer stuff, I wouldn't be nearly as concerned, I'd just drop to the least data plan and run with it.  My issue is this is my job and every day is a disaster - every day. 

Is there any data I can provide to help troubleshoot?  Please let me know.

@Liz wrote:

Hi divinIN,

Thanks for these updates. I've run new diagnostics on your site and they look fine so far. I've escalated your case to the engineers for their insight.

Hello Liz,

I have been working this through other channels too, and finally got some more detailed information on my specific issue with Skype for Business.  Microsoft has provided the following details regarding a screen sharing meeting I just had in which I got disconnected probably 30 times in one hour:

About a minute into the viewing you got disconnect with the below error:

ms-client-diagnostics: 52164; reason="Appsharing session disconnected due to RDP stack closed the connection"

From your log, your client did not initiate the disconnection so the disconnection was either your ISP, Microsoft Online edge or the partner's edge server.

They have asked me to try my test in town to see if the issue is ISP-related, which I will do as soon as I can.  However, this is sounding very familiar to another post I read here in the Tech Support forums about a couple (husband/wife) who use RDP for work and get disconnected frequently as well.  I'll have to try to find that thread and see what came of that. 

Hello Liz,

This is the thread I mentioned which seems to have a similar issue that started with Gen5.  I know it's a different program, but the end user experience is the same, frequent disconnects:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Remote-Desktop-Connection-error-with-HT2000W/td-p/80...

I have posted a reply in that thread to bring the issue back up to the front and maybe provide some correlating data for engineering.

Thank you.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Anything that depends on RDP will have issues with Hughesnet right now... I don't think any of us are or was aware that Skype (this includes Skype for Business) may have used RDP in any fashion.  Are you using the remote control of features for Skype? Or?

From my understanding...

Teamviewer = Uses an implementation of RDP, they claim they use an inhouse brew, but others disagree with that.
Skype = Uses RDP for remote sessions, regular skype doesn't use RDP for regular messages
RDP = Well... It's RDP? lol

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Anything that depends on RDP will have issues with Hughesnet right now... I don't think any of us are or was aware that Skype (this includes Skype for Business) may have used RDP in any fashion.  Are you using the remote control of features for Skype? Or?

From my understanding...

Teamviewer = Uses an implementation of RDP, they claim they use an inhouse brew, but others disagree with that.
Skype = Uses RDP for remote sessions, regular skype doesn't use RDP for regular messages
RDP = Well... It's RDP? lol

Hello @C0RR0SIVE,

Can you clarify this comment: "Anything that depends on RDP will have issues with Hughesnet right now"?  Maybe I missed a previous post that provided more info on why that is the case.  Thanks in advance.

To answer your question on remote control, only rarely do I use that specific feature.  95%+ is just screen sharing (the presenter displaying either the entire desktop or one app like PowerPoint for example).  There is the option to use Skype for audio too, but I have not been using that because if I lose both audio and screen sharing during my meetings I become completely unproductive.  To separate out the risk I dial in via landline for audio.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Because there's an issue with the Remote Desktop Protocol (screen sharing, remote control, and so on) that some software products such as Skype may use.  Engineering has been working on it for ages...  Not sure why it's such an elusive thing to solve... One would think if it worked on SW3, and ES-17, that it would work fine with ES-19.

Thank you.  @Liz can you please provide an update from engineering on this?  If a fix isn't in the works and timely I will need your help in exploring my options to cancel the service until this is fixed.  Thank you.

Sorry to hear your having such a slow time with your service. I to am in North Idaho (spirit lake) and have had mostly slow usesless service during prime time. During the day when no one uses it its fine. I can actually do most of what I want to do on the internet. But during primetime or weekends its useless. This evening its 700kps not even a 1mb. That is useless with todays page sizes let alone trying Skype. I would never do that and expect it to work with SAT.

I have had the service since end of August this year. Since then they have been out twice at no charge and fairly quick. They seem to be trying. They have replaced the radio one visit. Then the second visit they replaced the modem and the radio. Each time it got better for a week or so then right back to uselss.. Its a heck of allot money to only be able to be usefull when I am not home since I am almost only home during primetime like everyone else that works outside the home.

I do think they are trying to fix the issue but I strongly believe they are over sold on our beam and there is not much they can do except load balancing. And that is a temp patch that just causes issues for others.

Good luck and I hope they get you working.

Untitled-1.jpg

Tonight is particularly bad.  I have performed three different download speed tests with a 25MB file between 5 and 10 PM and the results were 64KB, 112KB, and 47KB. 

Good morning divinIN,

Thanks for the update, do you have your testmy.net URL so we can track your tests? I don't have any updates yet regarding engineering's current efforts. 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.