Gen 5 FAP Speed not 3 Mbps

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ilmontgo
Sophomore

Gen 5 FAP Speed not 3 Mbps

Hello, I was a Gen 4 customer for a year and then was convinced to upgrade to Gen 5 when I called to cancel my service. One of the reasons I upgraded was that the sales person told me that after I used up my data, FAP bandwidth would be 3 Mbps. I ran out of anytime and bonus data early this month and have been in FAP mode 24/7 since. During this time, about 4 days now, speeds have been very slow (faster than Gen 4 FAP but not 3Mbps).

I've been testing with testmy.net randomly over this time period and the fastest I have observed is 1.5 Mbps, no matter whether during peak times or the middle of the night. I've read many topics here on speed testing and am aware of the standards requested:

• multiple tests with more than 5 minutes between them, throughout the day and especially during reduced performance.
  • 25 MB download test and 3 MB upload test.
  • Connected by ethernet.

These were not connected by ethernet and I reduced download sizes to 8 and 12 MB because the 25 MB test would take several minutes. I understand the reason we are told to test through ethernet - to eliminate a variable. But I would argue that this variable is already eliminated since I do get (faster) speeds comparable to other subscribers when on wifi but not in FAP. Although the "congestion" factor does seem to affect me more than others describe... but that's a different topic. I'll schedule auto tests over ethernet through the night for the exact data that will inevitably be requested.

I'd like to believe there is something that can improve this speed but I doubt it and am once again feeling misled. Wondering what speeds others are observing in FAP with Gen 5? If you're compelled to respond with "it says 'up to' 3 Mbps",  please offer a possible explanation as to why it is so consistently less than half of the "up to" speed.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No problem, I will PM you 🙂

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16