Gen 5 Unusably Slow Every Evening

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AngryCockroach
Freshman

Gen 5 Unusably Slow Every Evening

No, I do not have a solution yet. From 3pm-after midnight, my connection is unusable: under 0.5Mbps. I performed the tests per your instructions (and more). 

Here is my test data again. The testmy url is below the data in this email. Thank you for your help!

Test Environment:
HT2000w: wifi SSIDs disabled - 2GHz disabled, 5GHz disabled, 1 laptop directly connected to HT2000w by ethernet cable
Laptop: Windows10, Chrome browser
Weather: clear
Location: 14505 Stetson Road Los Gatos, CA 95033 - about 20 miles south of San Jose/SiliconValley.
              testmy.net      HN Speed Test       http://speedtest.xfinity.com/
1 8:16   20Mbps         0.21Mbps
2 8:19   27                  0.16
3 8:24   26                  0.29
4 8:32   16                  0.19                         4.79Mbps
5 8:37   10                  0.17                         2.86
Netflix test: 5min to load before start, heavily pixelated, rebuffer at 2:30m, loading indicator, gave up

9/13/17 - following morning to my prior tests
Weather: cloudy, light rain
# Time(PDT)  testmy.net     HN Speed Test      speedtest.xfinity.com
1 8:11am         32Mbps       38Mbps                  37Mbps
2 8:16am         45                40                           44
3 8:21am         43                20                           30
4 8:26am         45                20                           44
5 8:31am         45                29                           41

Several "share your results" url's are surfacing in the testmy.net ui so I'm not sure which one of these is right.
40 REPLIES 40
gokartergo24
Tutor

Are you in the Willows, mobile home park?

I called Customer Service today 3:30pm, to predict slow speeds for 8pm.  

I'm on hold now having made an accurate prediction.  

At 8:35 PST  37.1 DOWN  2.3 UP 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

You seem to be getting speeds with in what is acceptable...  You might want to disable the Video Data Saver option in the Hughesnet Usage Meter if you're having issues streaming Netflix.

I don't use the HughesNet Download Meter.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@AngryCockroach

Make sure you're running the tests while signed in to your testmy.net account.  The test results they will need are shown under this URL...

http://testmy.net/quickstats/AngryCockroach

At this point, there are only five tests from that account that are from the 12th, with four of the five showing very good speeds.  Again, make sure that you are signed into that account when you run your tests as it is with that URL that your test results will be viewed by the reps and/or engineers.  

Please explain why the HughesNet Speed Test and the xfinity speed test that I performed (and my unusable speed) are not reflected in my testmy results? Sure the testmy results are good, but they do not correlate with the HughesNet and xfinity results and my reality. So, any normal customer would question the accuracy of the testmy results or that it is actually testing my network. Please explain.

Here are the 3 TEST RESULTS again, run one right after the other. Please explain all 3 test data columns. Thanks.

testmy.net      HughesNet Speed Test       http://speedtest.xfinity.com/
1 8:16   20Mbps         0.21Mbps
2 8:19   27                  0.16
3 8:24   26                  0.29
4 8:32   16                  0.19                                     4.79Mbps
5 8:37   10                  0.17                                     2.86
GabeU

@AngryCockroach

To put it in the most basic terms, Hughesnet's own test has been known to be wonky at times, and the Xfinity test may not be set up to take into account the parameters of a satellite based internet. 

Testmy.net is set up in such a way that it takes those parameters, including latency, into account.  Testmy.net is not recommended or requested because it favors Hughesnet, but because it is found to be the most accurate.  

If it's worth anything, I have a little iStat Menus thing on my Mac that shows the current instantaneous download speed. I don't know anything about the speed test on HugheNets's CMC or the one provided by xFinity (as if I'd trust Comcast for anything), but TestMy concurs 100% with the display in my iStat Menu every time.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Mine Rates (F+)
Slower than 81% of US
Download 6.37 Mb/s
Upload 0.51 Mb/s
Ping 1226 ms
GabeU

@cdwr4 wrote:
Mine Rates (F+)
Slower than 81% of US
Download 6.37 Mb/s
Upload 0.51 Mb/s
Ping 1226 ms

Speedtest (Ookla), if that's what you're using, is not known to be accurate enough with satellite internet.  The only two speed tests accepted as accurate by Hughesnet are Testmy.net (using the manual 25MB download test size for Gen5 and the manual 12MB download test size for Gen4) and Hughesnet's own, though the latter is a bit wonky at times.  

AngryCockroach
Freshman

You wrote in email:

To put it in the most basic terms, Hughesnet's own test has been known to be wonky at times, and the Xfinity test may not be set up to take into account the parameters of a satellite based internet. 

Testmy.net is set up in such a way that it takes those parameters, including latency, into account.  Testmy.net is not recommended or requested because it favors Hughesnet, but because it is found to be the most accurate.  

My Reply is:

What counts is an unusable customer experience every evening. Why is this and what is the fix??

I can see this problem, the unusable customer experience every evening, with my own eyes - they are not lying. You're trying to tell me that everything is ok because testmy gives acceptable numbers - don't "gaslight" me by telling that I'm not seeing what I am indeed seeing: a useless internet in the evening.

Again: give me the fix.

GabeU

@AngryCockroach

All I said was that testmy.net was accurate and explained why, while also explaining why the others, especially the xfinity test, may not be accurate.

Hughes' test is wonky at times  Testmy.net is accurate.  Xfinity, who knows?  Do with it what you will.   

Don't be casting aspersions on people that haven't said what you claim.  

I hit the wrong button, I DON'T ACCEPT these explanations since no SOLUTION has been given. Nevertheless, I didn't intend to cast aspersions. Rather I just have to trust my own eyes - seeing evening slowsness/unusability - in a totally predictable pattern: starts about 3 or 4 pm and lasts until after midnight, every day. So, using my eyes are the most accurate test tool I have, regardless of what testmy is telling us.

Ok, having said that, is there anything different about testmy than my home environment that might lead us in a constructive direction?

What about the guy who might be "familiar with my beam" "at the Willows mobile home park"?

Thank you for your help.

Youu lie.

GabeU

@SlowEddy wrote:

Youu lie.

Please follow the Community Terms of Service.

Capture.JPG

Since that comment did not mention who lied, cannot judge it. However, the problem with Prime Time usage speeds has been a daily ritual here at my location. I have repeatedly reported it to Tech Support ever since my Gen 5 system was installed. I own my Gen 4 and Gen 5 systems, and both are still installed. If this speed issue is not resolved to my satisfaction, I will be reverting my account back to my Gen 4 system. I went with Gen 5 with the promise of higher speed and a greater monthly data usage for the same price. What good does greater data usage do for me when the service is too slow to use? I was referred to the community today, so this is my first post here. I have been a Gen 4 subscriber since Gen 4 was being offered. I'm not so keen with Gen 5 so far, and if my experiences does not fit in with the RULES of this community, so be it. I am not one to conform to rules that prohibit my ability to express myself.

Bob

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Unless your Gen4 system is still active, you won't be able to go back to it.

Yes, my Gen4 is still active. My Gen5 has an issue with an intermittent RX after reboots. The modem needs to be rebooted several times until it works fully, otherwise it sits there with a 2.1.1 state code. The installer had the same issue and should have resolved it before leaving. He just kept rebooting it until it worked, then he left. They are sending a tech out to resolve the issue next week, meanwhile I have my Gen4 to fall back on. I'm not doing a lot of speed tests daily because I'm concerned about wasting my data allotment doing too many speed tests. Here are testmy.net results from Wednsday and today.

@Wed Sep 27 2017 @ 5:15:07 amDallas, TXUSarrow43.1 MB36.03 Mbps
@Wed Sep 27 2017 @ 10:24:13 pmDallas, TX  USarrow1.3 MB1.7 Mbps
@Fri Sep 29 2017 @ 1:03:19 pmDallas, TXUSarrow97.5 MB15.4 Mbps