Gen 5 Unusably Slow Every Evening

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AngryCockroach
Freshman

Gen 5 Unusably Slow Every Evening

No, I do not have a solution yet. From 3pm-after midnight, my connection is unusable: under 0.5Mbps. I performed the tests per your instructions (and more). 

Here is my test data again. The testmy url is below the data in this email. Thank you for your help!

Test Environment:
HT2000w: wifi SSIDs disabled - 2GHz disabled, 5GHz disabled, 1 laptop directly connected to HT2000w by ethernet cable
Laptop: Windows10, Chrome browser
Weather: clear
Location: 14505 Stetson Road Los Gatos, CA 95033 - about 20 miles south of San Jose/SiliconValley.
              testmy.net      HN Speed Test       http://speedtest.xfinity.com/
1 8:16   20Mbps         0.21Mbps
2 8:19   27                  0.16
3 8:24   26                  0.29
4 8:32   16                  0.19                         4.79Mbps
5 8:37   10                  0.17                         2.86
Netflix test: 5min to load before start, heavily pixelated, rebuffer at 2:30m, loading indicator, gave up

9/13/17 - following morning to my prior tests
Weather: cloudy, light rain
# Time(PDT)  testmy.net     HN Speed Test      speedtest.xfinity.com
1 8:11am         32Mbps       38Mbps                  37Mbps
2 8:16am         45                40                           44
3 8:21am         43                20                           30
4 8:26am         45                20                           44
5 8:31am         45                29                           41

Several "share your results" url's are surfacing in the testmy.net ui so I'm not sure which one of these is right.
40 REPLIES 40
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The tech never should have left if 2.1.1 was present... Rebooting isn't really resolving that either...  Either the coax is crap and needs replaced or reterminated, or the ODU is flaky and needs replaced...

2.1.1 = IDU cannot establish communication with ODU over the IFL cable.

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

The tech never should have left if 2.1.1 was present... Rebooting isn't really resolving that either...  Either the coax is crap and needs replaced or reterminated, or the ODU is flaky and needs replaced...

2.1.1 = IDU cannot establish communication with ODU over the IFL cable.

I agree. The dish itself was from an existing second Gen4 system that was leased. My sister had it installed here while she stayed in my guest room until her contract expired. I removed the radio (ODU) from the dish and she returned the modem and radio a few weeks ago. Her system had no issues with the coax that is now being used on the new Gen5. My Gen4 system dish is on the other end of the metal building. The installer spent twice as long as it should have taken because he was not getting signal while trying to re-aim that existing Gen4 dish to the new Gen5 bird after putting another radio on the dish and setting up the gen5 modem inside. After rebooting the modem several times, he was finally getting a response from the ODU and was able to get it aimed.

The slowing down of speed every afternoon has been a problem from day 1. Every time Tech Support had me do an unplug and replug of the modem (due to slow bandwidth), it would come up with the dreaded 2.1.1 state code. It would take 5 or 6 repeats before it would come up properly. I finally had enough and called today and told them if this is not resolved, I'm dropping my Gen5 service. My Gen5 service has been operating for exactly 1 week today, and I am not happy with the evening performance. Today, I had a Tech Support guy trying to tell me that my problem was caused by me disabling both WiFi radios. I explained to him that I'm using a wired LAN. He tried talking me through enabling the WiFi radios, and I told him that I am not about to turn on WiFi. He said he could not help me then, so I told him to transfer me to a supervisor. The supervisor agreed that my disabling of the WiFi radios has absolutely nothing to do with the speed problem that I am having. I'm a retired aerospace engineer with satellite experience. Something simple like networking is a walk in the park in comparison to designing and launching the birds.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@BobBoyce

Hrm, when Monday rolls around, I hope @Liz or @Amanda can run diagnostics on your terminal...  Typically I suggest creating a new thread and put the information there, but I think they will split this part of this topic off and open a case for you.

For now, don't reboot your modem so it can collect diagnostic data and it be available on Monday, however, you might want to get a screenshot of the state code when it occurs again and post it here...  Pretty sure you said there is a technician visit scheduled, let us know how it goes, and the moderators will check diagnostics again.

As far as performance goes, what beam are you on?  There are a few beams from my understanding that are having some strange performance issues.

Your most recent tests are interesting, a few dipping below threshold.

One of the moderators will probably forward the results to engineering, however, you may want to build up a history of test results during the time periods where you see horrible performance, and results where you see good performance.

Again, I will ask. Are you in the Willows mobile home park?

Yes. Why?

Any insight into this evening slowness problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Yes, I am aware of the park.. I have been out there at least 10 times. Thou I think I have only done two installs there. Due to line of sight issues and power issues. I have never done a Gen5 up there.  Two things I would look at before blaming Hughes. First,  When your system is up and running fine. Check your signal level.  Note it down..  Then  when you are having problems. Check your signal level again..  That can show if it is a line of sight issue.  Second. I did not do two installs there because of electrical issues.   You could be having voltage drops in the evening when everybody gets home..  I would double check these first.. And to add to this.  My Gen5 system is on the same beam has you. Beam 54. And I am not having these issues..

Hi,

Thank you for your reply - good suggestions. I have a couple of simple questions:

1) Where can I find the Signal Strength (I looked through the ht2000w admin tools and nothing jumped out at me)?

2) When checking power, I guess I'm looking for wattage out of range or too much variation (noise), poor/no ground, anything else? Have you heard that the ht2000w is more sensitive to power uncleanliness (I was a Gen 4 customer with just the Hughes modem and my own router and everything was fine at any time of day.)?

Thanks again!

AC

Click System Status to see the Signal Strength.

I don't know about the power but I've had my equipment, including the HT2000W, on an APC SmartUPS 700 since 3 years ago, which was Gen4 for most of that time.

On my first call to support, I was immediately sent to the next level of support.  Then I was told that my channels were congested.  After several times being put on hold, he was unable to find a clear channel and put in a request for 3rd level support to give me a callback.  That call didn't come as promised so I called Hughesnet back after the time passed.  Then I was "guaranteed" I would receive a call from 3rd level support yet that day.  I didn't want to miss it so I didn't go to bed until midnight but no call.  I called again the next day and was told the callback was still in effect but it said now it would be no later than Sep 27th.  That has come and gone with no callback.  I attemped to talk to a supervisor on my second call but he refused to talk to me.

at 192.168.0.1 click on system staus   down towards the bottom is signal strength.  Yes on all for the electrical..  That park is wired very poorly.. I don't now if these are your issues.. But it is good to elimante everything you can at your end.. Like I said.. I am on the same beam has you.. And do not have the issues that you are..

@gokartergo24 wrote:

at 192.168.0.1 click on system staus   down towards the bottom is signal strength.  Yes on all for the electrical..  That park is wired very poorly.. I don't now if these are your issues.. But it is good to elimante everything you can at your end.. Like I said.. I am on the same beam has you.. And do not have the issues that you are..

Hi,

I checked my signal strength twice as you suggested actually on Friday night and Saturday afternoon. Both readings were exactly the same at 113. 

- Is 113 a decent signal strength?

I noticed something else STRANGE: I am receiving 49 TIMES the number of Control Packets vs. Data Packets

- (Control Packets Received: 30,883,744 vs. Data Packets Received: 625,391)

- Is this amount of overhead normal?

Thank you,

AC

Like I said. I have never done a Gen 5 in that park.  I am about 45 miles south of you and my SQF averages around 118.  You are closer to the center of the beam. I would ask one of the reps here. To run a OVT and SHP on your site..

Thanks. Does 50-times MORE CONTROL packets than data packets seem normal or does it indicate a problem? See last screen shot in the one attachment. Thank you!50x more control than data pkts!50x more control than data pkts!

HNdiag100117.jpg

Also, I don't see any documentation for these diagnostic codes. Are these a problem? Thank you all again.

I have the same problem in the evening with Gen 5 slow speeds. I live in Corona, CA, about 60 miles SE of Los Angeles.

The speeds during the day are nothing to brag about.

Tech service has been extremely poor.

I am sorry that I signed up for this service.

Hi AC,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. I've pulled up your account to run diagnostics, but I'm running in to an unusual error that's preventing me from getting a complete review of your site. I've already escalated this so that we can get full diagnostics run. Otherwise, current status and history appear to be OK. no indication that a dispatch is needed to repoint or replace anything.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@AngryCockroach

Regarding your Data and Control Packets Received, that's nothing unusual.  At present, my Control Packets Received are 131 times my Data Packets Received.  I've also seen this question asked a few months back, though I can't find the post.    

AngryCockroach
Freshman

No this topic is NOT SOLVED, NOT ACCEPTED, I clicked the wrong button. 

Anyway, please read all the pages of these posts - there are so many customers with the same problem! I didn't see a solution offered to anyone - if I'm wrong and a solution was offered to someone that works, please provide it here as well. Short of that, since so many customers have this problem, have provided volumes of test data, further testing of individual installations is silly - the problem is widespread either at the sattellite, data center or multiple HT2000w's firmware. Is Engineering looking at this problem and what is the status: no action, in-progress, have a possible fix, have a fix? With dates.

Thanks.

frankvrba
New Poster

I have the same issue except I can add that while I was testing with a Hughesnet support tech, testmy.net ran at 7.5Mb.  I've also found that my speed in the morning is much better.  In fact, it's the same as it was when I first signed up. 

Using the Hughesnet speed test in the morning always ranges from 22 Mb to 44 Mb.  Testmy.net gives the same result in the morning as the evening.  At 7:30 AM today; 22 Mb, 25 Mb, and 7.6 Mb.  I only ran two Hughesnet tests; 22 Mb and 35 Mb.  At all times, my upload speed is about 3 Mb.  I just now, 8:20 AM, ran two more Hughesnet tests; 13 Mb and 42 Mb.

In the morning I can stream Pluralsight videos, youtube videos, CNN news videos, etc.  In the evening, I can stream nothing!  In the evening I might see a news article with a video I'd really like to see but I usually just give up after a few minutes because its broken into 2 to 5 sec spurts with 45 to 60 sec wait time in between.  This only started in Aug.  I have a history of test results to prove it.

There's no way we are the only two people that have this issue.