Gen 5: Upload Speeds. What is Normal?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
monicakm
Senior

Gen 5: Upload Speeds. What is Normal?

My download speeds are pretty good.  No real complaints (except that the system doesn't work during severe thunderstorms and tornadoes 😉  But, my upload speeds have always been slow.  Last three testmy.com upload speeds have been mid-upper 2Mbps.  This week I bought a Wyze Cam Pan.  It works on wifi.  There is a lot of buffering espeically when I try to stream the camera via Google Home Hub.  When I'm out and using mobile data to view the Dingo I also have buffering issues.  I think if my upload speeds were just a little faster, I'd have no buffering problems.  Download speed is usually in the 40+Mbps range.  Right now it's 46Mbps on testmy.  Surely my upload speeds should be faster than 2.5-2.9Mbps

13 REPLIES 13
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The max upload speed for HN is 3 Mbps. 

Geeze, I think it's time they upped the upload speed  for  us 😮   Is anyone here using security cams and satisfied with the way they work?  I'm taking a pretty big hit on my data limit.  I thought I could keep the dat local by using a SD card but I  must be doing something wrong! 😮  Looking like this is going back to Amazon.  

The 3Mbps speed is sufficient for security cams. The problem is the latency and possibly the double-nat. As I understand it, cam systems that attempt to use a direct remote connection will not work well because you're essentially behind a firewall. You have to use a system that uploads to an intermediate cloud and remote-view from the cloud.

Edit: And then you may have the issue of delays caused by the ground station's upstream provider, which seems to be everywhere nowadays.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Skiporgnk
Freshman

It is common knowledge that security systems DO NOT WORK with satellite systems because of the latency.
maratsade

This should be on a t-shirt. Smiley Happy

Skiporgnk wrote:
It is common knowledge that security systems DO NOT WORK with satellite systems because of the latency.

Thanks everyone.  I realize a security camera isn't recommended for use with our systems.  I bought this mostly for "fun" to see what the Dingo does when I'm away from the house.  But with the major hit my data is taking, the drain on my phone's battery and the fact that it kills my car's Sync media center, I've decided to send it back to Amazon.  I think it was more of an impulse buy more than anything.  Internet latency...The price one pays for having horses and cows for neighbors instead of people 😉

If it were common knowledge I wouldn't have to constantly repeat my spiel on latency. 😉

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
rsanderson
New Poster

I remain disappointed with the upload speed and am going to start to consider cost to terminate contract / move to ViaSat.  The download speed is sufficient (my speed tests come back with ~45 Mbps).  Upload however, isn't even proving to be sufficient to carry the Voice over IP (VoiP) audio upload over Microsoft Teams (Voice only, no video upload).  People have a hard time hearding me talk on the VoiP call.  My upload speeds are only averaging 0.239 Mbps!!

Today, a tech ran a connectiivty test, and the results were:

DL Speed (Mbps): 45.1

UL Speed (Mbps): 0.239

Round Trip Ping Time (msec): 614

Packet Loss: 20%

Their response was "everything checks out OK" and I don't need dish realignment.  I remain concerned by 20% packet loss and the fact that UL speed can't push past the 0.239 Mbps range.  I'm not expecting major speed on upload, but I need it to be sufficient to carry VoiP, and HughesNet seems to fail to deliver on that.

chat.PNG

maratsade

To have speed issues addressed in this community, you will need to follow the procedure described here: 

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

As for VoiP, HughesNet doesn't support it unless it's HughesNet Voice, which is designed to work with HughesNet.

I'll proceed to follow up on the speed test proceed to collect information and will also be following up with regards to cost of contract termination.

With regards to VoiP not supported / Microsoft Teams not support, thanks for admitting that!  You heard it straight from the source folks (HINT:  Call ViaSat)

GabeU

@rsanderson 

The reps here may be able to help you regarding your Microsoft Teams issue.  I still recommend starting a new topic.  

https://support.hughesnet.com/en/faq/internet/supported_business_applications

GabeU

@rsanderson 

If you'd like help with your speed issue, please start a new topic in the Tech Support section, which you can do here

maratsade

Additionally, you are posting in a thread that's old -- you should open a new ticket under Tech Support by going to the Tech Support page and clicking on "Start a thread."  You can copy/paste what you posted here. It is unlikely that you will get any further replies on an old thread.