Hughesnet Community

Gen 5 actual speeds Vs Gen 4 actual speeds (at point of use)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LarryDarden
Freshman

Gen 5 actual speeds Vs Gen 4 actual speeds (at point of use)

Case# 107397144 & 107427877 I upgrade to HT2000W using Windows 10. Since upgrading to Gen 5 my actual web-page browsing has been slower than my Gen 4. I understand that "the" reports show I am getting the "promised speeds"; but the actual actionable click link to the next page/action is slow. What actions can I take to improve this condition? (since going back to Gen 4 is not an option)

Now after reviewing the community I see this a common problem with the Gen 5 upgrade... (which should have been revealed when ordering - I would have okay with the truth and respected the company more) Has the problem been isolated and what is the current time line to address this problem for customers with this issue?

EchoStar-19-NAD

Gateway ID 1

Beam ID 84

Outroute ID 1

Satellite Receive Signal Strength 105

31 REPLIES 31
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

LarryDarden,

Something you can try is changing your DNS server settings from Hughesnet's (obtained automatically) to Google's (specifically set to Google's DNS settings).  This sometimes helps. 

How to change DNS settings on a Windows 10 PC.   The "Control Panel" method is easiest.    

Google's IPv4 and IPv6 settings.

GabeU Thanks; but no improvements.

GabeU

Hmmm.  Have you tried a different web browser?  If not, I would try that.  I did a Google search about this and a suggestion I saw was reinstalling the browser.  

A couple of other things to try...

Flush your computer's DNS.  Open a Command prompt and type "ipconfig /flushdns", without the quotes.  Hit enter and it should flush your DNS.  This may help, and it won't hurt anything doing this.  

You could also try cleaning your computer's registry, though you should be careful when doing so, as deleting the wrong thing can cause substantial issues.  CCleaner is pretty popular for doing this.  I clean what it finds using the default settings and have never had any issues, but, like anything, when you do something like this there is always a risk.  If you do use CCleaner, make sure to follow through with the backup of the registry it asks you if you want to do before cleaning the files.  That backup can come in handy in the future.  It prompts you before you actually clean anything.      

I have flushed DNS, used Ccleaner, defrag hard drives, tried updated browsers firefox/edge/chrome, stopped unnecessary applications and conducted multiple speed/web response tests with no improvements.

http://testmy.net/db/nyHUJi4mc.fW0Dw5dVZ

I read on another thread that upgrading to different GB serivce plan will change the outroute ID and/or IPGW string... Is this an proven theory that may correct the issues I am experiencing.

GabeU

Regarding upgrading, there's no guarantee that this will improve service speed or browsing speed.  

With that said, are you sure that you aren't out of data right now?  That speed is quite low, though that's only one download speed test.  For future reference, though, when testing speed you should use the manual 25MB size for download tests and the manual 4MB size for upload tests, and the download test is the more important of the two.  But, again, are you sure you aren't out of data right now?  

Not out of data. Nothing obstructing the satellite. No changes on the web use. Only changes is I upgraded to Gen 5 on Nov. 8. Contacted Hughesnet via phone that night about my concerns. I truely didn't expect to 25mbps but I thought I would be a little faster then Gen 4 not slower than both previous updates. Any other ideas or hardware changes I should try?

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

GabeU

I didn't see the other posts while I was typing, but the speeds you posted from Hughes' test indicate there may be a speed issue at times.  

With that said, that red X on Association...I'm not sure.  Hopefully someone with more knowledge of errors like that can give an idea of what that means and whether it could be a part of the problem(s) you're experiencing.  

The reps also may chime in because of that, though I don't know for sure.  

Team I need help... Looking at some of the speed test numbers I should have great access but I do not. Can anyone make figure this out?

http://testmy.net/quickstats/larrydarden

Capture4.JPG

@LarryDarden

This test is a little out there and not standard, but can you do the following?

1: Make sure Chrome is fully updated, should be version 62.0.3202.94
2: Head to the Chrome Extensions Store and install Page Load Time https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/page-load-time/fploionmjgeclbkemipmkogoaohcdbig?utm_source...
3: Visit a known series of websites a few times, and log the minimum, maximum, and average time it takes for the page to load.
4: Report back with the websites visited, and the times you logged using that extension, if possible, get screenshots of the extension after a page has loaded so we can see all metrics. Similar to below.

Community Load TimeCommunity Load Time

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE

Sorry for going a little off topic, but I had no idea an extension like that existed for Chrome.  It will certainly come in handy.  Just installed it to try.  Your own site (basix) takes quite a while to load (42.3s).  LOL.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I dunno and not trying to stir the pot but my speed and browsing is fine on Gen4. I have periods of very low speeds during prime time also. It doesn't last for long though, maybe a few hours. 

Anyway, just a Gen4 user input for comparison.

Capture.PNG

My result stats. As you can see, periods of very slow speed. I've learned to deal with it, it is satellite.  http://testmy.net/quickstats/BirdDog2017

Funny thing is, I can usually stream Netflix at low definition even when speed is bottomed out.

I am actually alittle excited with using updated google chrome on the laptop with the LAN line but other browsers/ connected devices via wifi (cell/tablets) are still struggling to load pages. (firefox is current browser of choose with Windows 10)

All using Chrome

MSN com

msn1.JPGmsn2.JPG

GOGGLE com

google1.JPGgoogle2.JPG

ESPN com

espn.JPG

CNN com

cnn1.JPG

GabeU

No doubt about it, you have some kind of issue going on there.  For ESPN to take 90 seconds and CNN to take 99 seconds...that's not good at all.  😞  

I don't know if ad blockers would help, but Adblock Plus and uBlock Origin are what I use with Chrome.  

My ESPN and CNN results.  

ESPNESPN

CNNCNN

Yeah, something is horribly wrong, but I am not exactly sure...  It looks like you are hanging at DOM for some reason...
https://www.w3schools.com/js/js_htmldom.asp

That seriously makes me think and feel like Web Acceleration is broken for you for some reason, but you have already tried disabling it to see if it helped, correct?

Do you get similar Page Load Time results when WAS is disabled?

Since it's a holiday weekend, we probably wont hear till Monday from the reps, however, @Liz or @Amanda will have to forward this to engineering...  It seriously feels like a Web Acceleration issue of some form as everything DOM handles should be pre-fetched by WAS if I am not mistaken.

@GabeU yes my website takes time to load... You know why as well.

EDIT:

After looking through this topic, it doesn't appear anyone may have suggested disabling WAS to see if performance improves, could you please try this, see how browsing feels, and post back with some results with page load time?

Please follow the directions below to disable Web-Acceleration.

1: Visit http://192.168.0.1 in your web-browser.
2: Click the "i" icon at the top of the HT1100/2000w System Control Center (also known as the SCC).  It is highlighted in red in the image below.
photo skUivVb.png

3: Click on "Web Acceleration" then "Control" outlined in red.
photo jnchLQt.png

4: Click on "Web Acceleration Enabled", this will change to an orange button that says "Web Acceleration Disabled".
photo mQGk0j9

5: Restart your browser and try using the service that isn't working, please let us know how that works for you.

MSN com without web acceleration on speed check

msn-wo.JPG

will reseting the mbx help?

reset mbx.JPG

Unlikely, but, it's worth a shot...  Curious, when was the last time you physically power cycled your HT2000w?

Also, just an idea... It appears you might be using a laptop?  Is it on Wireless right now?  Could you tried a wired connection if so, just to rule variables out.

It's been a couple days since I cycled the HT2000W

Yes I am using a labtop with ethernet and WIFI disable

Really wish I could be of more help, but it appears engineering is going to have to get involved when the reps get back into the office.  Hopefully there's enough information here to work off of for them (page load times, speedtests, WAS being toggled and so on).

The only other question I can possibly think of that they might ask... Does this happen on multiple devices?