cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen 5 built in wireless router channels

Freshman

Gen 5 built in wireless router channels

I have had the Gen 5 HT2000W for a couple of weeks now.  Happy with it so far but I do have one issue with the built in wireless router.   I need to change the 5ghz from Auto channel to a static channel.  Everytime I try to do so, wireless just stops working completely.   Even stops working if I try to change the 2ghz to a static channel.  Anyone with thoughts or suggestions on this?

10 REPLIES 10
Associate Professor

Re: Gen 5 built in wireless router channels

Have you attempted rebooting your HT2000w by unplugging the power brick from the wall (Don't unplug it from the back of the modem) to see if it will work with those changes?

Honorary Alumnus

Are you attempting to make these changes from a wireless device?

Always a good idea to perform "administrative" duties from a wired device.

What is your reason to make changes from the default?

2000 wireless.PNG

Associate Professor

@Gwalk900

Sadly, Auto isn't always the best...  If you have another AP in the house, setting both to Auto can cause them both to use the same channel.  So setting channels by hand if you know what all is in use in the area, can give better performance.

For instance, my 2.4Ghz Channels are 5 and 9, the least used, while my AP uses channel 11.  When selecting Auto, almost everything wants to use channel 7 or 6.

Freshman

I haven't tried that but I will.  

Thanks

Highlighted
Freshman

Making the change with wired laptop.   The auto 5ghz is using id 36 and it isn't very good upstairs.  Want to move it up to I think 149 was what my analyzer recommended.

Assistant Professor

It's like baseball... hit 'em where they ain't.

If you have an analyzer, you probably want the lowest channel that your neighbors aren't using. I'm using channel 40 as the base channel with 20/40/80MHz extensions.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
New Poster

Just found out this evening that my computer does not support Hug5 and that sucks!!!!  Now I have to discontiue my home phone because it is working horrible.  Guess I will use cell phone.  I can't believe there isn't something like add ons that would let hug5 work.  Two year contract sucks!!!

Assistant Professor

janjen, supporting 5 Ghz WiFi is a function of the computer card/adapter, not HughesNet fault. There are add-on adapters to support the 5 GHz band on personal computers.

Not sure what you mean about the phone but this thread is talking about the 5 GHz wireless on Gen 5 routers.

Bit confused by your short post.

Distinguished Professor III

@janjen wrote:

Just found out this evening that my computer does not support Hug5 and that sucks!!!!  Now I have to discontiue my home phone because it is working horrible.  Guess I will use cell phone.  I can't believe there isn't something like add ons that would let hug5 work.  Two year contract sucks!!!

They do make dual band USB WiFi adapters for your computer that will work with either band (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz).  Search "Dual Band USB WiFi Adapter" on Google and many pop up.  The first Amazon one that pops up appears to be pretty popular and is not very expensive.  They have other ones that have a maneuverable antenna, as well.

Edit:  Conversely, if you are experiencing slower speeds using the 2.4Ghz WiFi when compared to a direct LAN connection there are settings that can be adjusted to increase the speed while using the 2.4Ghz WiFi.  My laptop's and notebook's 2.4Ghz WiFi is now equal in speed to my desktop's direct LAN connection.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit