Gen 5 slow speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2dturners
New Poster

Gen 5 slow speeds

I had Gen 5 installed today. The speeds are slower than the Gen 4 that was upgraded.  I was told this great Gen 5 with speeds up to 25 would greatly increase my internet. My wife is in college and needs  faster speed. Now I have to tell her it's slower.............What am I to do now?

10 REPLIES 10
bobvick
New Poster

I have been having very slow Gen 5 speeds for about a month or longer now. I kept thinking it would get better, but it doesnt seem that it has. 

I have the 50 GB anytime and 50 GB Bonus Bytes plan, I still have plenty of data but I am running somewhere in the neighbourhood of 3-5 Mbps down.

When I first got the service in September of this past year, it was great, downloads were often in excess of 40 Mpbs, many times.

Nearly always it was greater than the 25 Mpbs advertised speed.

I am not sure what has happened. 

I stumbled across this forum and have found others are having this issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Liz

Hi 2dturners,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. So we can begin addressing your speed concerns, please run 3 speed tests via the HughesNet speed test or speedtest.net. Post your test results here in your thread if you use a 3rd party speed test site (fast.com and testmy.net's tests are not recommended).

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)

-have the wifi disabled in the HT2000w HughesNet modem (manual for your reference)
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz I opened a new thread about sudden decrease in gen 5 speed, I've contacted tech support over the phone and did all you've suggested, still getting terrible speeds. I've not see any updates to my post about the same issues, I've tried 3 different devices, different types of connections, and no change, but tech support sez I'm getting good speed from Sat to Modem, I'm nto seeing it, can you assist?? 

Carmen Vitullo

Hughes Net.  lets get real!  you all know the speed is a known issue since September 2017.  And from what I understand there is no fix in sight.  we are all getting ripped off paying for speed we can't have while hughes net jerks us all around as if they didnt know.  even my local satellite provider knows about this!!.

@Pete_Vit wrote:

Liz I opened a new thread about sudden decrease in gen 5 speed, I've contacted tech support over the phone and did all you've suggested, still getting terrible speeds. I've not see any updates to my post about the same issues, I've tried 3 different devices, different types of connections, and no change, but tech support sez I'm getting good speed from Sat to Modem, I'm nto seeing it, can you assist?? 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@dconroy

If you would like help with your issue please start a new topic, which you can do by clicking on the blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right while within the Tech Support section.  

I already have, I'M using all avenues I have avaiailable to get my issues noticed

Carmen Vitullo
GabeU

@Pete_Vit wrote:

I already have, I'M using all avenues I have avaiailable to get my issues noticed

I know you have.  I replied to your other post.   My reply was to dconroy.  

@GabeU wrote:

@Pete_Vit wrote:

I know you have.  I replied to your other post.   My reply was to dconroy.  

:DUH! sorry - so, what next, a call to customer service gets me nowhere, a post to the support site, user community does nothing, Is this normal hughesnet customer service? If I had an open issue with a vendor this many days and no response, that vendor would be out of the door in days. I've worked I.T. for over 35 years, as tech support myself for many major companies, I know I would not have a job if I ignored an issue reported by a customer - what's up hughesnet? 

Carmen Vitullo
GabeU

@Pete_Vit

My tagging of the reps on your thread means they will get notice of the thread and reply.  

You aren't being ignored.  

Liz

Hi 2dturners,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. So we can begin addressing your speed concerns, please run 3 speed tests via the HughesNet speed test or speedtest.net. Post your test results here in your thread if you use a 3rd party speed test site (fast.com and testmy.net's tests are not recommended).

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)

-have the wifi disabled in the HT2000w HughesNet modem (manual for your reference)
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!