Gen 5 speeds extremely slow upload speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bknapp
New Poster

Gen 5 speeds extremely slow upload speed

I have followed the testing protocol and my results are here - https://testmy.net/quickstats/bknapp.  I need to get much closer to the 3 mbps speeds that are stated than the results I am achieving currently.

14 REPLIES 14
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The number of results you have isn't enough. You need to run 3-5 tests (spaced at least 5 minutes apart) during different parts of the day.  

The Hughesnet reps won't be back until Tuesday.  I suggest you run more tests today and tomorrow, at least to start. They may require more. 

bknapp wrote:

I have followed the testing protocol and my results are here - https://testmy.net/quickstats/bknapp.  I need to get much closer to the 3 mbps speeds that are stated than the results I am achieving currently.

Ok - thanks for the feedback

I have added additional tests - please let me know what can be done to resolve.  It obviously isn't meeting expectations and quite honestly isn't working for me as is.  https://testmy.net/quickstats/bknapp

GabeU

@bknapp wrote:

I have added additional tests - please let me know what can be done to resolve.  It obviously isn't meeting expectations and quite honestly isn't working for me as is.  https://testmy.net/quickstats/bknapp

As maratsade alluded to, the reps will be the ones to help you.  They will be back tomorrow, and they usually reply within a day. 

Hi bknapp, 

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting your speed test results, these help. I've run diagnostics on your site and am not seeing anything out of the ordinary with the equipment. I will be checking on it periodically to gather more data for our engineers. 

I see you've been a customer for over a year now; is there anything that changed recently in your home network that directed your attention to upload speeds?

What are you trying to do that relies on upload speeds?

Were you able to accomplish that thing before?

If so, when did you notice a change?

The answers to the above may be useful to engineering, so your cooperation and understanding are much appreciated. Looking forward to your reply.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz,

Yes - a customer for over a year now - with the service being provided to my Northern Az summer home.  So I use it infrequently.  What I am trying to use it for is an internet based phone (VOIP) so that I can conduct some business from our place.  Unfortunately - the upload speed is so slow that the party on the other end describes it as choppy and is unable to understand me.  I had previously noticed slow upload speeds, but it wasn't critical and I just deferred and work requiring an upload until a returned to my residence.  However, if I can't get closer to the stated upload speed of 3mbps with the $70/mth service that I use maybe 5-8 days a month - then I will need to seek other options that will be able to provide that level of service for me.  

While you state that the equipment seems to be functioning without issue - its obvious from my results that the Gen 5 network is not producing to expectations.  I am headed back up there this weekend and look to have this service available at the stated speed.  Please see what can be done to rectify the issue prior to end of day Friday.

Regards,

Brian

GabeU

@bknapp 

Though I'm reasonably sure Liz will mention something to this effect, you may want to consider looking into HughesNet's own Voice Service.  The higher latency inherent to satellite internet can cause issues with 3rd party VOIP services, and HughesNet's own Voice Service is specifically designed to mitigate those latency related issues.  That higher latency may, at least in part, be contributing to the issues you're experiencing, and quite possibly even more so than the upload speed issue.

It's just a thought.

Good morning bknapp,

Thank you for this helpful insight. As Gabe noted, 3rd party VOIP services won't work optimally on the HughesNet Voice service. Even if you did manage to have 3 Mbps in upload speeds, we can't guarantee that your 3rd party VOIP service will work well. 

Here's basic info and pricing for HughesNet Voice and our FAQs about the voice service for your consideration.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz,

I would consider it if I was even getting close to the stated 3mbps!  Why should I funnel even more money towards Hughes when I am not receiving even close to the stated upload speeds.  Who's to say that your voice product will work any better than the current internet product?  Before I go down the path of outlaying even more cash, I'd like to see that I am getting value for what I am currently paying for.  As mentioned previously, I will try again to utilize the service this weekend.  If it remains dissatisfactory, then it will be time to seek other options.

For what it's worth - the 3rd party VOIP solution I have is company provided.  Download speed and clarity is fine.  Upload speed at an average of 1/3 of what is stated is just unacceptable.

Thanks,

Brian

Good morning Brian,

As noted in the subscriber agreement, "Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. Actual speeds will likely be lower than the maximum speeds during peak hours." It's likely that the evening testmy.net results are due to overall increased usage during peak hours. The diagnostics I've just run and the ones I ran Wednesday both show good upload speeds being delivered to the modem, Upload speed (kb/sec): 2978.909/Upload speed (kb/sec): 2245.344, but considering your noontime testmy.net results I'll escalate your case to engineering for their input. Otherwise, the HughesNet system is working normally.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Hi Brian,

Good news, got a quick turnaround from our engineers. There was an adjustment made to your site and they're seeing good results on their end. Please check those speeds and let us know so we can review your testmy.net results page again.

Thanks Liz - I will check it out within the next 24 hours.  I appreciate the assist.

Sincerely,

Brian

Hi Brian,

The engineers are curious to hear how your system has been running. Please let me know.

Good morning Brian,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.