Gen 5 speeds have taken a tumble

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ricky
Tutor

Gen 5 speeds have taken a tumble

My Gen 5 speeds have taken a serious tumble from what I was getting. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

39 REPLIES 39
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I've noticed that my speed has dropped a bit, especially during the evening, but not quite that low.  On the 7th, though, I was seeing speeds in the mid single digits, ranging from about 5Mbps to 8Mpbs.  

I don't know about anyone else, and it could just be a coincidence, but I noticed that my speeds starting being affected on the 2nd, the same day that I received the updated modem software.  

With this said, my overall download speeds are still above the advertised plan speed.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Gabe, you noted your speeds tanked on the 2nd?

That's exactly when I noted my speeds tanked!

My speeds have been... All over the place...

Gen5 Speedtests: http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&l=250&z=30&q=C0RR0SIVE
Make sure the Identifier is Location 5 and that you change 25 results per page to "Max" so you can view back far enough... 
There are a LOT of test results there, but if you look close, you can see where I have been mostly been doing automated runs for awhile now, as well as this starting on the 2nd for me as well, or just prior...

I have also been noting other metrics during some of my tests...

9999.JPG

One last thing to note, I am  J2SDO066 (Jupiter 2, San Diego, Beam ID 066)....  So this seems like a system wide issue, have talked to several friends that are on Hughes, many semi-local to me, but on another beam/gateway, and they have all shown the same symptoms...  Evening speeds are in the dumps, but any other time they are all over the place.

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Gabe, you noted your speeds tanked on the 2nd?

That's exactly when I noted my speeds tanked!

Wow.  Your speeds truly did tank on the 2nd.  Mine didn't really tank until the 7th, and not since, but they've definitely been affected since the 2nd.  Everything was pretty good until then, but since then, especially in the evening, my speeds are dropping. Not terribly, but enough to notice.  The 7th, though, is another story.  

My speeds haven't been affected nearly as badly as yours, but it's still noticeable.  I haven't really noticed it, though, unless I'm watching a Youtube video or downloading something larger, and it was a Youtube video that clued me in to the problem on the 7th.  I'd had virtually NO buffering since getting Gen5, but it was certainly buffering like crazy, on any video, on the 7th.  Again, though, I don't know if the problem starting on the same day as the software release is just coincidence, but it's definitely noteworthy that both your speed issues and my speed issues, though not as bad as yours, started on the same day as that release.  

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972

Oh, and I want to stress, in case the reps read this, that my speeds are still, overall, quite good in comparison to the plan speed.  It's nothing like what was happening for me on Gen4.  At least....not yet.  😛  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I can't really complain either...  It's not the worst thing in the world to happen, but it is annoying seeing such varriances between tanked speeds, plan speeds, and then those over provisioning speeds in the middle of the night...

I know everyone is thinking "Congestion already?!" but, latency with Hughes has always been a good indicator of congestion...  I would always see a large increase (150ms or more) on previous birds when congestion has actually hit during those peak hours... That doesn't seem to be the case this time around...  Latency hasn't really changed at all, note the Gen4 latency averages and compare to Gen5, notice that large hill like increase? THAT'S a sign of actual congestion... 

Gen5 LatencyGen5 LatencyGen4 LatencyGen4 Latency

http://testmy.net/quickstats/bloodhound

Mine happened on July 30th.

My Gen speed is anywhere from 3meg to 49 meg. Does not mater what time of day.

As for the YFI if I get more tham 20 ft. away from the modem it cuts in and out. WI FI light blinks all the time.

GabeU

@billk17 wrote:

My Gen speed is anywhere from 3meg to 49 meg. Does not mater what time of day.

As for the YFI if I get more tham 20 ft. away from the modem it cuts in and out. WI FI light blinks all the time.

Though you should start a new topic if it becomes more involved than what I suggest, the WiFi issue could be due to the 5Ghz band not having much range, if it's the 5Ghz band you are using.  You could try switching to the 2.4Ghz band.  Most devices can connect to the 2.4Ghz band, and when it comes to range 2.4Ghz is much better, especially going through walls and such.    

Hope this helps.  

maratsade

Speed has always been very erratic for me, since the install.  The below speed is from a test a few minutes ago.  I'm on Beam 68, which is apparently a troublemaker.

HNspeed.PNG

One of them, and seems to be erratic. This was J2SDO068 outroute 4 just half an hour ago using the 5GHz wifi.
Untitled.jpeg

I should point out that using the 2.4GHz wifi will be considerble slower.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

The speeds are pretty much the same overall for me using the 5GHz network.

GabeU

Just now.  Beam 51.  Outroute 3.  IP Gateway Association State last four of 0103.  Direct connect (not WiFi).   

rAtFZVC45.png

@MarkJFine wrote:

Though I don't have a device that can utilize the 5Ghz WiFi to see how it performs, when I use the 2.4Ghz WiFi my speeds are the same as being directly connected.  No slowdown to speak of.  

I should also add that I'm using the LA testmy server, since it's the closest to the SDO gateway... fewer hops.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

I should also add that I'm using the LA testmy server, since it's the closest to the SDO gateway... fewer hops.

I've always wondered about that.   I've been using the Colorado Springs, CO server just in case, as it's the closest one to my Roseburg, OR gateway.  

maratsade

Wow. Great speeds.  Clearly I'm on the wrong beam. LOL

@GabeU wrote:

Just now.  Beam 51.  Outroute 3.  IP Gateway Association State last four of 0103.  Direct connect (not WiFi).   

rAtFZVC45.png

@MarkJFine wrote:

Though I don't have a device that can utilize the 5Ghz WiFi to see how it performs, when I use the 2.4Ghz WiFi my speeds are the same as being directly connected.  No slowdown to speak of.  

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Wow. Great speeds.  Clearly I'm on the wrong beam. LOL

To be honest, I've considered myself to be quite lucky over the years, at least in regard to some of the problems I've seen.  Just prior to my upgrade to Gen4 in Feb 2016, I was getting download speeds of 1.6Mbps on my legacy plan with an HN7000s modem.  From what I understand, a speed like that in 2016 on the old system was fantastic.  

When I upgraded to Gen4, my initial download speeds were about 20Mbps.  I actually thought this was a mistake with the first couple of speed tests I did, as I had come to the decision (just before the upgrade) that I would be happy if I got 60% of my 10Mbps plan speed with Gen4.  I was thrilled, to say the least.  

Then, about five months in, my speeds jumped up to around 30Mbps.  I was even more thrilled, as you can imagine.  At that time there were slowdowns in the evenings, but nothing major.  That did change toward the end of my Gen4 service, though, as it was getting down into the low single digits, sometimes even getting to sub 1Mbps while in the thick of the peak usage period.  

Then, I upgrade to Gen5 and get speeds like in that example.  Up until last week the evening slowdown was nearly non existent, and would only go down about 10% or so, if it went down at all.  Since then, though, it's been going down a little more on occasion, and considerably on the 7th, though it was only that one day that it was like that.  

So, yeah, I consider myself to have been pretty lucky with HughesNet over the years.  Again, though, this is only in comparison to some of the problems I've seen.  Still, the posts we see on here are only from a small number of customers, especially when considering they have over a million of them, and growing.  I imagine that most customers have gotten anywhere from acceptable to great service.  

I hope that your speeds eventually pick up.  And, of course, sooner than later.

maratsade

Well, obviously satellites like you, Gabe. LOL

ETA: I'm sure this will get fixed sooner or later. In the meantime (and for now at least), I can use the web and stream just fine, so it's not a huge deal.

Funny you should bring that up. I just changed my setting from 2.4GHz to 5GHz and the speeds picked back up. Not sure what all that says about my setup, beam or outroute. But it is faster. Lets see if it holds.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/bloodhound

5GHz wifi has the potential to expand to 4 channels (80MHz) wide, whereas I believe the 2.4GHz channel is only limited to one (20Mhz). The 5GHz wifi will potentially always be much faster because of it.

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

5GHz wifi has the potential to expand to 4 channels (80MHz) wide, whereas I believe the 2.4GHz channel is only limited to one (20Mhz). The 5GHz wifi will potentially always be much faster because of it.

I should have mentioned that, in reference to my 2.4Ghz WiFi experience and the speed being the same as direct connect, when I use WiFi it's almost always only connected to one device at a time.  I rarely have both my laptop and notebook connected via WiFi simultaneously.   

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@MarkJFine wrote:

2.4Ghz, on my Nighthawk at least, has options for 20, 40, and 20/40.  If using the 40Mhz, you can see pretty good speeds.  Remember, Wireless-N has pretty high speeds and most devices support N, but needs that 40Mhz option there.  Pretty sure these modems have 40Mhz as an option