Gen 5 speeds have taken a tumble

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ricky
Tutor

Gen 5 speeds have taken a tumble

My Gen 5 speeds have taken a serious tumble from what I was getting. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

39 REPLIES 39

@C0RR0SIVE

Forgot you can actually set the 2.4 to n, which can go 40MHz wide. I've had it stuck on g-only for compatibility issues with XBox, etc. I think somehow the 'b' part of the b/g/n option confused them.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

For comparison...

Desktop Direct ConnectDesktop Direct Connect

Laptop 2.4Ghz Wifi (HT2000W)Laptop 2.4Ghz Wifi (HT2000W)

@r3wt

All 100% correct. I'm biased, because I'm only about a few feet from the modem, so I used to the word "potential" a lot. lol

I'd use ethernet cable, which as you say is preferable, but Apple's made that completely undesirable anymore.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

@r3wt

All 100% correct. I'm biased, because I'm only about a few feet from the modem, so I used to the word "potential" a lot. lol

I'd use ethernet cable, which as you say is preferable, but Apple's made that completely undesirable anymore.

Only a few feet away, here, too.  I do have a 25' cable, so if I needed to be a bit further away, like sitting on my front porch or something, I could use it, but the WiFi is just easier.  A couple of weeks ago I took my laptop out to my driveway, which is about 70 feet from the modem, and a speed test with the WiFi gave me the same result as if I was directly connected. If I had gone another 25 feet it most likely would have been a much different story.  This is going through an outside wall, of course.  If I put the modem, or my Netgear router, on the nearby window sill, and I'm in sight of it, I can get out to about 100 feet before my signal starts being affected.  That's plenty of range for my little house.  🙂

I realize you were kidding, but there's a debate about what constitutes inferior that I really won't get into.

Some of their design choices (like the thunberbolt connector for anything, and gluing the battery where it could interfere with bottom of the trackpad) are a bit unwise. But all in all, the MBP is built like a brick s***house and has been for well over a decade.

It's been very reliable, and the OS is the first to legitamately use a form of Linux in a commercial box. I've been quite pleased since I gave up Windows over 13 years ago. I have a VM that I can run Windows in any time I need to - which is really quite rare.

GabeU

@r3wt

Linux Mint fan, myself.  Great OS.  If there isn't a specific need for Windows, one really can't go wrong with Mint.  Have it on an alternate HDD in this desktop and have it as my main OS on my first desktop build, though I don't use it.  

BTW...I've never heard of Eluktronics, but that laptop is pretty packed for that kind of price, and it's got great reviews.  

I can talk this stuff as the day is long, but we probably should move this convo to General Discussion.

(not during Arsenal matches tho)

GabeU

@r3wt wrote:

Wouldn't you know it. The ssd in question failed last night. Thankfully, still under warranty. I can say this, their 24h support is legit.

That's too bad.  😞  I hope you're able to get the replacement quickly and, if you had it backed up, it won't be much of a hassle getting it going again.  It's also good that their 24 hour support is that helpful.  So many manufacturers' support isn't.   

I create a system image once a month, keeping three month's worth (on a rolling basis), for each of my three PCs.  It certainly helps when something like that happens.  

Hi folks,

Earlier an engineer confirmed that network adjustments have been implemented and have improved performance overall. I skimmed through the recent testmy.net test results links in this thread and see that speeds are well over plan offerings. Is this in line with what you're experiencing?

@JAS, I don't think I saw any test results links from you. Can you please let me know if you're seeing these improvements? If not, please run testmy.net speed tests so that we get a proper evaluation of your system performance:

http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem
-use the 25MB test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Mine are awesome.

Just now.......

Capture.PNG

GabeU

Good here.  I've noticed that my evening speeds, though not having been very low (except for Aug 7th), have been great lately.  

Qi5EpKrWC.hZ6lYKCy2.png

Forgot to post these yesterday. Little better on J2SDO068, if it applies.
1907 22 Aug2015 22 Aug
Just now, though daytime hasn't been an issue thusfar.

Noted that TestMy is uniformly recogizing Hughes now as well.

maratsade

@Liz,

"Earlier an engineer confirmed that network adjustments have been implemented and have improved performance overall. I skimmed through the recent testmy.net test results links in this thread and see that speeds are well over plan offerings. Is this in line with what you're experiencing?"

No changes for me. Still experiencing slow speeds at times, especially in the evening.

JAS
Freshman

My speeds are VERY erratic - as advertised during the day but AWFUL at night. Tonight my speed is UNDER 1mbps. Yes that is under 1 

This system sucks, I wish I had stayed with gen4. 

maratsade

@JAS, do you know what beam you're on?  They're having some trouble with inconsistent speeds on beam 68. My speeds go all over the place all the time, and in the evening they can go under 5 Mbps. They're working on it, and they'll fix it.

@JAS wrote:

My speeds are VERY erratic - as advertised during the day but AWFUL at night. Tonight my speed is UNDER 1mbps. Yes that is under 1 

This system sucks, I wish I had stayed with gen4. 

We could start a beam 68 working group
UmSczQrjB.png

maratsade

Working group, or support group..... 

pEeHnUfZ1.png

crying.jpg

maratsade

@C0RR0SIVE,

Yep, I'm on Beam 68.