cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen 5 speeds have taken a tumble

Assistant Professor

Re: Gen 5 speeds have taken a tumble

I should also add that I'm using the LA testmy server, since it's the closest to the SDO gateway... fewer hops.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Distinguished Professor III

@MarkJFine wrote:

I should also add that I'm using the LA testmy server, since it's the closest to the SDO gateway... fewer hops.

I've always wondered about that.   I've been using the Colorado Springs, CO server just in case, as it's the closest one to my Roseburg, OR gateway.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Professor

Wow. Great speeds.  Clearly I'm on the wrong beam. LOL

@GabeU wrote:

Just now.  Beam 51.  Outroute 3.  IP Gateway Association State last four of 0103.  Direct connect (not WiFi).   

rAtFZVC45.png

@MarkJFine wrote:

I should point out that using the 2.4GHz wifi will be considerble slower. 

Though I don't have a device that can utilize the 5Ghz WiFi to see how it performs, when I use the 2.4Ghz WiFi my speeds are the same as being directly connected.  No slowdown to speak of.  

Tutor

Funny you should bring that up. I just changed my setting from 2.4GHz to 5GHz and the speeds picked back up. Not sure what all that says about my setup, beam or outroute. But it is faster. Lets see if it holds.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/bloodhound

Assistant Professor

5GHz wifi has the potential to expand to 4 channels (80MHz) wide, whereas I believe the 2.4GHz channel is only limited to one (20Mhz). The 5GHz wifi will potentially always be much faster because of it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@maratsade wrote:

Wow. Great speeds.  Clearly I'm on the wrong beam. LOL

To be honest, I've considered myself to be quite lucky over the years, at least in regard to some of the problems I've seen.  Just prior to my upgrade to Gen4 in Feb 2016, I was getting download speeds of 1.6Mbps on my legacy plan with an HN7000s modem.  From what I understand, a speed like that in 2016 on the old system was fantastic.  

When I upgraded to Gen4, my initial download speeds were about 20Mbps.  I actually thought this was a mistake with the first couple of speed tests I did, as I had come to the decision (just before the upgrade) that I would be happy if I got 60% of my 10Mbps plan speed with Gen4.  I was thrilled, to say the least.  

Then, about five months in, my speeds jumped up to around 30Mbps.  I was even more thrilled, as you can imagine.  At that time there were slowdowns in the evenings, but nothing major.  That did change toward the end of my Gen4 service, though, as it was getting down into the low single digits, sometimes even getting to sub 1Mbps while in the thick of the peak usage period.  

Then, I upgrade to Gen5 and get speeds like in that example.  Up until last week the evening slowdown was nearly non existent, and would only go down about 10% or so, if it went down at all.  Since then, though, it's been going down a little more on occasion, and considerably on the 7th, though it was only that one day that it was like that.  

So, yeah, I consider myself to have been pretty lucky with HughesNet over the years.  Again, though, this is only in comparison to some of the problems I've seen.  Still, the posts we see on here are only from a small number of customers, especially when considering they have over a million of them, and growing.  I imagine that most customers have gotten anywhere from acceptable to great service.  

I hope that your speeds eventually pick up.  And, of course, sooner than later.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Professor

Well, obviously satellites like you, Gabe. LOL

ETA: I'm sure this will get fixed sooner or later. In the meantime (and for now at least), I can use the web and stream just fine, so it's not a huge deal.

@MarkJFine wrote:

5GHz wifi has the potential to expand to 4 channels (80MHz) wide, whereas I believe the 2.4GHz channel is only limited to one (20Mhz). The 5GHz wifi will potentially always be much faster because of it.

I should have mentioned that, in reference to my 2.4Ghz WiFi experience and the speed being the same as direct connect, when I use WiFi it's almost always only connected to one device at a time.  I rarely have both my laptop and notebook connected via WiFi simultaneously.   

Assistant Professor

@r3wt

All 100% correct. I'm biased, because I'm only about a few feet from the modem, so I used to the word "potential" a lot. lol

I'd use ethernet cable, which as you say is preferable, but Apple's made that completely undesirable anymore.

@MarkJFine wrote:

@r3wt

All 100% correct. I'm biased, because I'm only about a few feet from the modem, so I used to the word "potential" a lot. lol

I'd use ethernet cable, which as you say is preferable, but Apple's made that completely undesirable anymore.

Only a few feet away, here, too.  I do have a 25' cable, so if I needed to be a bit further away, like sitting on my front porch or something, I could use it, but the WiFi is just easier.  A couple of weeks ago I took my laptop out to my driveway, which is about 70 feet from the modem, and a speed test with the WiFi gave me the same result as if I was directly connected. If I had gone another 25 feet it most likely would have been a much different story.  This is going through an outside wall, of course.  If I put the modem, or my Netgear router, on the nearby window sill, and I'm in sight of it, I can get out to about 100 feet before my signal starts being affected.  That's plenty of range for my little house.  Smiley Happy