cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen 5 speeds have taken a tumble

Assistant Professor

Re: Gen 5 speeds have taken a tumble

I realize you were kidding, but there's a debate about what constitutes inferior that I really won't get into.

Some of their design choices (like the thunberbolt connector for anything, and gluing the battery where it could interfere with bottom of the trackpad) are a bit unwise. But all in all, the MBP is built like a brick s***house and has been for well over a decade.

It's been very reliable, and the OS is the first to legitamately use a form of Linux in a commercial box. I've been quite pleased since I gave up Windows over 13 years ago. I have a VM that I can run Windows in any time I need to - which is really quite rare.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Distinguished Professor III

@r3wt

Linux Mint fan, myself.  Great OS.  If there isn't a specific need for Windows, one really can't go wrong with Mint.  Have it on an alternate HDD in this desktop and have it as my main OS on my first desktop build, though I don't use it.  

BTW...I've never heard of Eluktronics, but that laptop is pretty packed for that kind of price, and it's got great reviews.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Distinguished Professor III

For comparison...

Desktop.JPGDesktop Direct Connect

Laptop.JPGLaptop 2.4Ghz Wifi (HT2000W)

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

I can talk this stuff as the day is long, but we probably should move this convo to General Discussion.

(not during Arsenal matches tho)

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
JAS
Freshman

My speeds are VERY erratic - as advertised during the day but AWFUL at night. Tonight my speed is UNDER 1mbps. Yes that is under 1 

This system sucks, I wish I had stayed with gen4. 

Associate Professor

@MarkJFine wrote:

5GHz wifi has the potential to expand to 4 channels (80MHz) wide, whereas I believe the 2.4GHz channel is only limited to one (20Mhz). The 5GHz wifi will potentially always be much faster because of it.

2.4Ghz, on my Nighthawk at least, has options for 20, 40, and 20/40.  If using the 40Mhz, you can see pretty good speeds.  Remember, Wireless-N has pretty high speeds and most devices support N, but needs that 40Mhz option there.  Pretty sure these modems have 40Mhz as an option

Assistant Professor

@C0RR0SIVE

Forgot you can actually set the 2.4 to n, which can go 40MHz wide. I've had it stuck on g-only for compatibility issues with XBox, etc. I think somehow the 'b' part of the b/g/n option confused them.

Professor

@JAS, do you know what beam you're on?  They're having some trouble with inconsistent speeds on beam 68. My speeds go all over the place all the time, and in the evening they can go under 5 Mbps. They're working on it, and they'll fix it.

@JAS wrote:

My speeds are VERY erratic - as advertised during the day but AWFUL at night. Tonight my speed is UNDER 1mbps. Yes that is under 1 

This system sucks, I wish I had stayed with gen4. 

Assistant Professor

We could start a beam 68 working group
UmSczQrjB.png

Professor

Working group, or support group..... 

pEeHnUfZ1.png

crying.jpg