cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen 5 very slow evening speeds

Assistant Professor

Re: Gen 5 very slow evening speeds

For some reason some beams appear like they're overbooked based on the slowness alone. Yet, many times that slowness is accompanied by still failrly low lag times (~350ms) indicating there is a much different problem at hand.

Given the capacity of the satellite, and the nature of signal delivery, there's very little chance that the satellite is operating even close to 40% capacity. Even if it were close to 50% it would be an incredibly remarkable marketing success, given the short time it's been active (we'd be talking massive bonuses the BD crew could retire on).

More than likely it's a silly distributed processing bug that is more sensitive to the resource demands of streaming voice and video that weren't originally anticipated.

I have no doubt they'll find it and kill it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Distinguished Professor IV

Last 25.

Capture.JPG

Gen5 average.  

And, as has been noted in one current and other past occasions, beams and gateways can have issues that have absolutely NOTHING to do with the number of subscriptions, and assuming that a gateway or beam has been oversold in less than six months on a system with more throughput per beam (and overall)  than the ES17 is a tad bit misplaced.  But, with that said, there are people who always assume data being used quickly has nothing to do with their devices, so misplaced assumption of oversubscription isn't surprising, either.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Distinguished Professor I

"More than likely it's a silly distributed processing bug that is more sensitive to the resource demands of streaming voice and video that weren't originally anticipated.

I have no doubt they'll find it and kill it."

Engineers are awesome. They'll find it, kill it, revive it, and repurpose it for something amazing. 

Distinguished Professor I

@GabeU, showoff!  LOL

@maratsade wrote:

Engineers are awesome. They'll find it, kill it, revive it, and repurpose it for something amazing. 

ROFLMAO!!!!  No doubt!  Smiley Tongue

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Sophomore

@MarkJFine, this is the single most-satisfying response I've seen regarding this issue. And I'm laughing because this essentially says that all the rigamarole of speed testing, remote equipment testing and dish realignments are probably providing important data for the engineers but are a complete waste of time for the customers that clearly experience the exact same symptoms and state those symptoms clearly from the start.

I'm only here tonight because the Thanksgiving holiday has dropped my FAP'd speeds to horrid levels at peak times (avg 320kbps).

So your statement gives me a little hope but after almost 2 years of 10% speeds during peak hours on two different birds... I'm not holding my breath.

@MarkJFine wrote:

For some reason some beams appear like they're overbooked based on the slowness alone. Yet, many times that slowness is accompanied by still failrly low lag times (~350ms) indicating there is a much different problem at hand.

More than likely it's a silly distributed processing bug that is more sensitive to the resource demands of streaming voice and video that weren't originally anticipated.

I have no doubt they'll find it and kill it.

@ilmontgo

When someone has a speed issue, including evening slowdowns, the requested speed tests are needed because those speed issues may not have the same cause, even though the symptoms may be the same. 

If the cause is determined to be the same as others and it is something on HughesNet's end, the reps will then let the customer(s) know that further speed tests are not required, as has been evidenced on this Community.  At that point, whether a customer continues with the speed tests is up to them.   

Edit:  Additionally, any data that helps the engineers working on a collective issue ultimately helps the same customers.  

Junior

@GabeUDayum! Those speeds are ridiculous! I maybe had that kind of speed the first month of switching to Gen5 back when it came out and then that's it. You must be on a beam with just a handful of people surely not the Central/Northern California beam that seems to have millions on it,lol. Heh, who needs cable with speeds like those, lol.

I must admit, I do get very good speeds.  I've been pretty lucky in that with HughesNet, with my only real speed issue occuring for a few months back in 2007 or 2008, when I upgraded from my DW7000 to an HN7000S.  It cleared up, though.  My speeds with my legacy plan would top out at about 1.6Mbps, which was quite good for my plan, and my speeds with Gen4 topped out at about 30Mbps, which, again, was quite good, though the evening slowdowns toward the end of my Gen4 service were getting pretty bad, often times at sub 1Mbps levels.  Beam and/or gateway saturation with that, I imagine.  

I truly do hope that they are successful in figuring out the issues on the noted beams, as speeds that low are extremely frustrating, I'm sure. Smiley Sad  

And no, I'm nowhere near Northern California, thankfully.  That's concerning the beam issues, of course, not Northern California in general.  Smiley Tongue   I'm completely opposite of your area, in Western NY.  Go Bills and Sabers!!!!  LOL.    

Assistant Professor

In context, I was disputing the blanket assumption that the slowness on some beams were caused by them being oversold.

This should not be confused as a reason for not providing speed tests, which should always be used as the first part of diagnosing a speed problem:

1. It verifies and validates there's a problem, because 'slowness' is a subjective term.

2. It quantifies if it's happening all day or at specific times of day, which can be correlated with other events like weather, problems upstream from the gateway, etc.

3. It quantifies the nature of any short term slowness by virtue of the way each individual graph looks - is it bursting, is it constant, does it start exceedingly high and roll off very quickly, etc.

...each one of these tells a different piece of the story.

Having this from as many individual users on the same IPGW as possible is incredibly helpful to those that are trying to see the big picture - something each individual can't possibly see.

So, although you may perceive doing speed tests as being useless and a personal inconvenience, I can guarantee you, it most certainly is not.

If you think its an inconvenience, consider that if it were me, I don't think it's enough data being collected. I think other things need to be taken into account wrt:

1. What the individual's home network looks like in order to rule out competing devices.

2. How the device was connected (wired or wifi) during the test and if via wifi with what protocols. Note that you're not really supposed to use wifi for the speed tests to eliminate that factor, but many still do anyway.

3. A photograph of the condition/environment the dish is in to rule out speed problems due to surrounding foliage, although that might really be a secondary thing, not triage.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.