Gen 5 will not work (Slow / No Browse)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mizzmo
New Poster

Gen 5 will not work (Slow / No Browse)

I am trying to post the following, on my own thread, but I keep getting some red highlighted crap that makes no sense, so I am going to try to post to a reply and see if I can get an answer.

Upgraded to gen 5 because I was shooting thru trees, and I am thinking of going back to gen 4 and just deal with a little slower internet. Gen 5 is horrendous. I do not recommend anyone upgrading. Do your homework or find someone else. Pages don't alway load, or server not found, is often what I get. I honestly don't know what the signal strength is supposed to be, but with gen 4 I was getting 90-115. Last thing they told me was to unplug it for 20 minutes a couple times a week. This internet is so hit or miss, I don't know what to do. We will more than likely never even be able to use half of our 50g a month, because it just doesn't load. We upgraded at the beginning of the month, and it says we still have 82% left. Really? If you want to watch a you tube, go to the vid, when it loads enough to pause it, then go do some dishes or laundry, come back and check to see if its loaded. Half the time it does not. Right now I have this on my status. 12.1.9 -- A transmit problem has occurred. What am I supposed to do? Oh, and my weather is clear as a bell.

13 REPLIES 13
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I have zero problems with Gen 5.  There may be an issue with your set up.  Hopefully someone here will help you troubleshoot. 

GabeU

@Mizzmo wrote:

I am trying to post the following, on my own thread, but I keep getting some red highlighted crap that makes no sense, so I am going to try to post to a reply and see if I can get an answer.

Upgraded to gen 5 because I was shooting thru trees, and I am thinking of going back to gen 4 and just deal with a little slower internet. Gen 5 is horrendous. I do not recommend anyone upgrading. Do your homework or find someone else. Pages don't alway load, or server not found, is often what I get. I honestly don't know what the signal strength is supposed to be, but with gen 4 I was getting 90-115. Last thing they told me was to unplug it for 20 minutes a couple times a week. This internet is so hit or miss, I don't know what to do. We will more than likely never even be able to use half of our 50g a month, because it just doesn't load. We upgraded at the beginning of the month, and it says we still have 82% left. Really? If you want to watch a you tube, go to the vid, when it loads enough to pause it, then go do some dishes or laundry, come back and check to see if its loaded. Half the time it does not. Right now I have this on my status. 12.1.9 -- A transmit problem has occurred. What am I supposed to do? Oh, and my weather is clear as a bell.

First, "the red highlighted "stuff" that makes no sense"  is the requirement to add a label.  The labels are on the right hand side and you can click one to choose it.  Labels enable your post to be found when people search specific issues and it groups it into a category of like posts.  

Secondly, there is no going back to Gen4, so it's important to address the issues you are experiencing with Gen5.  

Now that you are aware of the cause of the issue you were experiencing when creating a new post, you should do so to address your issues and keep them separate from the OP's.  

I'm more concerned with the comment "shooting thru trees". I'm in Viriginia where trees are only outnumbered by mosquitoes and gnats.

I had a problem pretty similar to what you're describing. The dish was aimed perfectly, but the transceiver was a little weak and was replaced by a tech. Making matters worse, there were some nearby branches with leaves that were reflecting the signal back to the dish causing a tremendous amount of standing wave interference. It was even worse after it rained, because the branches would get heavy and drop deeper into the periphery of the signal's path.

The signals used by these dishes are highly subjective to being reflected by nearby stuff, especially at the sides and from above. If you also have a lot of trees nearby (as it sounds), you may want to make sure that the area the has as wide an unobstructed view as possible - even if it doesn't appear to look like it's in the way, it might.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

I'm more concerned with the comment "shooting thru trees". I'm in Viriginia where trees are only outnumbered by mosquitoes and gnats.

Absolutely.  I actually had to remove a tree prior to upgrading to Gen5, having determined exactly the direction the dish would point.  

BTW, I used to live in Manassas.  I miss VA terribly.  It's not my home state, but I would love nothing more than to still be there.     

I was shooting through some branches with gen 4. Since, we have had a tech move the whole dish system to a different location where I have a clear shot of bright blue sky. I have called a couple of times, and they have done whatever it is they do on the their end. One tech told me to unplug system for 20 minutes, 2 times a week. I have done so more than that. I'm not sure if excede is better or not. I don't know what I am going to do, but for now I take many braks because I am so sick of the politics so am finding other means of entertainment.

lblsy
Spectator

I am having the same problem and am not getting any real help from Hughes Net either! I've only had our service for about 3 weeks and have called to cancel twice already! Of course, they can't just do that either!  So incredibly frustrating because this service isn't cheap and we can't even use it! In 3 weeks we've only used 4Gig of data but have managed to use 20Gig on our phones because it is so awful! Can't stream movies because it keeps buffering and it takes forever to even load a basic shopping page with minimal graphics.  Just to say I feel your pain and if anyone has any suggestions I am open to hearing them! 

Same story here. Went to Gen 5 because they promised higher speed. Pay more for less. 

Yes we have 209 live oak trees here ... I do not feel the need to take some down for having internet. 

Customer support ? After being on the phone for an hour going to the same **bleep** as usual , they just hang up .

maratsade

"I do not feel the need to take some down for having internet. "

Looks like satellite is not for you, then.  It does require an unobstructed view of the southern sky, which in some cases may mean taking some trees down. 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@Toffee and @lblsy

If you guys need assistance, please, create your own threads and try to stick to them if you haven't.  That way you don't clutter and confuse things in another persons topic.

Whatever worked for the dish location/positioning for Gen4 may not necessarily work for Gen5.

1. Gen5 uses a completely different satellite on a different azimuth, takeoff angle, and polarity in some instances. Those vary tremendously depending upon your location wrt the satellite.

2. When techs come out, they will first see if your receive signal quality (not necessarily transmit quality) is sufficient by re-aiming the dish at it's current location. They will only move the post to a location that will 'see' the satelllite with as wide a sky as possible if it is not, and about 40 degrees on either side is needed.

3. Most techs aren't even there long enough to determine if there is an intermittent transmission error (12.x.x series codes) that are indicative of nearby tree branch interference (blowing, water weight, etc. moving branches too close).

4. Most techs will not trim any interfering tree branches and I'm pretty sure none will take any trees down for you. You're pretty much on your own for that. However, if you get a good one, they might give you some advice on what needs trimming.

Interestingly enough, you should know that DirecTV techs are actually forbidden to even discuss trees, which is in sharp contrast to Hughes-contracted techs who will.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I hate this service. It just doesn't work. I can't use my Alexa or watch videos and it is so frustrating. Hughes net is very unhelpful.

maratsade

@Beowulf22, you should maybe create your own thread to post your issue -- you may be able to get help fixing your network.

Beowulf22
New Poster

The same thing is happening to me. Hughes net is horrible