Hughesnet Community

Gen4 Slowing Down - Is This Intentional To Push Us To Gen5?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mk2
Sophomore

Gen4 Slowing Down - Is This Intentional To Push Us To Gen5?

Hello everyone. We have been Hughes customers since it was Direcway. Overall we have been very satisfied with service and support. We are on Gen4, the old Ultra Plan which gives us 50 GB of everyday data and 50 GB of extra data plus some tokens per month. It's a great plan and we have never been FAP slowed down. We figured that when Gen5 launched, Gen4 would be less crowded. Our download speeds on the "Testmy" site sometimes got up to 29 MBs, but usually stayed around 15 to 20 MBs down. Upload was slow, sometimes not even  getting to 1 MB, but this did not interfer with our streaming and system use. We watched movies and streamed many of the latest shows and sports with no issues.

Over the past couple months, download speeds have decreased, and the speed is erratic. Starts out on the test site as very fast, then comes to a stop, then starts again, etc. When the results get averaged out, speed is sometimes less than 1 MB. This does stop our streaming, ordering online, etc. 

When I look at plans available in my area, the plans are much smaller, albeit cheaper as well. Since the Gen5 satellite is in a different location than our Gen4, we would need to move the dish and pole farther from the house and lay new cable underground. This would be the third Hughes/Direcway pole we would cement into our yard. We live in a wooded area, which causes this issue.

Bottom line question; Is Gen4 being slowed down and is it going away? We were very satisfied with it, with no need to move to Gen5. However, if it keeps going downhill, we will need to do something. BTW, I believe we have an HT 1100 modem. Maybe that is the issue? Is Gen6 coming?

Thank you for your patience and support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi mk2,

Thanks for your update, that sounds great! Glad the tech was able to confirm that the tree growth was also a factor. I had an inkling that could be it too since you mentioned this issue started a few months ago. When it gets warmer out, we tend fo get more cases like this, all because the leaves are growing back. I'll leave this thread open for a bit to let you post any further findings.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12