cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen4 upgrade has been just great

Gen4 upgrade has been just great

In contrast to all the whining here I must say that after 5 months I am Very Happy with the free Gen4 upgrade I got last August. For the same price as my previous service I get 10x the speed and 10x the bandwidth (USEABLE bandwidth vs the 200MB/day limit before) and it's actually improved the quality of my life. Instead of getting up at 1am and starting big downloads that sometimes weren't even finished by the end of the FAP-free period, I now can get-up at my normal time and do all my downloading in really just a few minutes before the Bonus Bytes period is up at 8am.

I still don't watch movies or TV with this service, but I do YouTube to my heart's content, and watch weather forecasts & whatnot without worrying about my daily or monthly allowance. Even downloads of updates to Windows, iOS, and my GPS device maps (1.5GB in size) are not a problem any more.

Finally today it is heavy overcast and raining, and still the service somehow works thru the clouds where before I'd always have interruptions. Maybe it's due to the improved angle to the new satellite but in any case I've had only a couple of occasions where I've had to use my backup ISP, a 3G service that is a tenth the speed (and half the bandwidth) of my HN Gen4 plan.

Perhaps compared to some others here I've been lucky to get another good installation (my previous system worked great for 8 years) but regardless my new Gen4 Power Plan is just terrific so Thank You Hughes.
17 REPLIES 17
Advanced Tutor

Re: Gen4 upgrade has been just great

Always nice to read it when someone drops by here to let others know that HughesNet service can and does work.

As to volume of problems and complaints you read here, keep in mind that perhaps 99% of posts in these forums are because someone is angry or has a problem they're trying to solve. Most people who aren't having problems aren't motivated to post here and go about their business.

Also, the total number of 7,100 users who have registered on these forums is around 1% of the entire number of current HughesNet subscribers. For sure, some don't get their problems solved but many do, and you often don't hear from them when something is fixed.

Just curious; did you go with someone locally to upgrade your system or did you upgrade directly through HughesNet? There seems to be a wide variance in the competence of installers, whether sub contracted by HN or employed by local retailers.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Alum

Good morning, Tomf, and thank you for the kind words.

Have a good day,
Blake

Tom f ,Give it time it will quit working just like mine. Gen 4 was installed and worked great for 4 1/2 mths ,now most times (day or nite) from .19 to 4.0 downloads. I've tried to work with "Blake" on this for close to a month with really no help. I guess my next step will be to reach out to some consumer agencies to get some resolution..
Advanced Tutor

Robert, You may be having problems with your system but that doesn't mean Tom, or most other users, will.

I have well over 200 customers on Gen4 since October 2012 and there have only been a handful of isolated problems that were easy to resolve.

Nonetheless, it would no more accurate for me to think "nobody will have problems" than for you to think "everybody will have problems."

To get your issue fixed, it might be better to update your main post covering the issues you're having. Makes it harder to follow your issue if it's spread across others' posts.
Honorary Alumnus

Robert,
I'll second Alan's thoughts to post your own thread with details outlining:

what plan you are on

The type of issue you are having

Perhaps screenshots of speed tests and web response tests if so related.

Screen shots of you modems advanced pages showing the state code monitor page.

a screenshot of your modems advanced diagnostic history page and any detailed reports from clicking on any red X's therein.

Alan, being an installer, will have some valuable insights not available to overseas phone support reading line by line from a script.

In addition to Alan, their are some experienced Hughes subscribers that just may have had a similar problem as yours and can share their experiences.

if you are unfamiliar accessing those aspects of the modems SCC there is a "How-To" written by a fellow Hughes user here that may help:

http://www.ricksyakshack.com/view_top...

As someone once said: "without data, its just another opinion"

Why is it that when I hit a nerve by finally getting tired of being jerked around for nearly a mth then I seem to get a response. If someone would truly address a customers problem.when they have one it wouldn't get to this point. If you are concerned then look at my previous posts, look at all the speed tests I've run on Hughes speed tests, all the times that Blake said he or an engineer would get back to me and never did and then tell me how you would feel if you were I.If these problems are easy to resolve, then do it.

http://community.myhughesnet.com/hugh...
This is my original post and I did everything I was asked. I don't work for Hughesnet and don't get paid for troubleshooting their system problems, I pay for a service that I am not receiving. It''s up to them to troubleshoot and repair it.
Advanced Tutor

Neither Gwalk900 or I are employees with HughesNet or forum moderators. We're forum members like you, and just responding to your posts to try and steer you in the right direction to get your problem resolved. Gwalk offered good advice. Take it or leave it, but don't shoot the messengers.
Advanced Tutor

See my above reply.

Better to continue posting in your own thread; http://community.myhughesnet.com/hugh..., rather than posting here.