Did you mean: 

Gen5: Is it really better?

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Gen5: Is it really better?

@maratsade wrote:

Which one is the Ultra plan?

The Gen4 50/50 plan for $99.99.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

@maratsade wrote:

Actually it is $89.99 so I pay around $101 after lease and taxes. Again, no reason for me to change at present.

Highlighted

@BirdDog wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

@maratsade wrote:

Actually it is $89.99 so I pay around $101 after lease and taxes. Again, no reason for me to change at present.

Ah.  My bad.  I thought I had seen it for $99.99.  Interesting.  Well, $89.99 is even better, and ever more unfair!  Smiley Tongue  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

@Gen5 consistently over charges you for data usage.

Gen5 allegedly over charges you for data usage.  Still haven't seen any convincing evidence of this.  

Well, I posted two months of spreadsheet  data that convinces me. 

The amount of data reported by iftop through my ethernet port is consistantly less that what Hughes data usage reports.

I've been waiting for some one here to point out the error in my procedure.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Absolutely. I wouldn't change either in that case.   The 50/50 with Gen 5 is a bit more expensive than that.

@BirdDog wrote:

Highlighted

@gaines_wright wrote: 

The error in your procedure is that what you posted is first, difficult to decipher, and secondly, just numbers.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they aren't legitimate numbers, but proof requires things like screenshots of directly comparable data, with something like a clock/calendar in the shot(s) to show legitimacy. 

As an example, were I to be having a problem with data, in my setup, which is primarily a desktop computer connected with a LAN cable, I can show directly comparable screenshots of the before and after HughesNet data, and before and after Glasswire data.  Or, to be even more precise, screenshots of before and after HughesNet data, like from the MyAccount site, which breaks the data down further than the Status Meter, and instead of Glasswire screenshots as the comparison, I'd use screenshots of the data tally from my 3rd party router, as that would actually be the more accurate thing to compare to the HughesNet data, as I can run everything through my 3rd party router and everything would be tallied by it.  And with each screenshot would be the calendar and clock from the bottom right corner of my desktop.  And the reps would be able to verify that everything was going through my router from the modem logs.   

Again, I'm not saying what you posted is not legitimate, but the burden of proof is on the user, and there has to be verifiable proof.  Listed numbers is not verifiable proof.  

Highlighted
Freshman

OP here. We have decided to stick with Gen 4 and just upgrade to the next higher plan under Gen4.  I also checked into Gen5 and it isn't even available in my location!  So much for that decision, should have checked into that first.  Thanks for all of your replies!

Highlighted

@Robert Hoffman

Good choice.  Smiley Happy 

It may be that the Gen5 beam in your area is saturated, so they've shut down any new sign ups or upgrades.  That's actually a good sign, as it shows that they are actively trying to keep to the satellite, and beams, from going over capacity.  And if it is saturated, it may also be a blessing in disguise that you can't get Gen5 service, as a saturated beam can often result in slower speeds, especially in the evenings. 

Highlighted

@GabeU wrote:

@gaines_wright wrote: 

The error in your procedure is that what you posted is first, difficult to decipher, and secondly, just numbers.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they aren't legitimate numbers, but proof requires things like screenshots of directly comparable data, with something like a clock/calendar in the shot(s) to show legitimacy. 

I may do that later.  I doubt it though.  BTW I can think of at least a couple of  ways to fake a screen shot.  Smiley Embarassed)>

I'm amazed that no one has pointed out the biggest problem as I see it, IE:  Who do you believe,  Linux iftop or Hughes?