Gen5: Issues with Two Web Sites Loading

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrindleStudio
New Poster

Gen5: Issues with Two Web Sites Loading

We upgraded to Gen5 earlier this month and so far, so good. We are happy with the performance and reliability so far; and had been reasonable satistfied Gen4 customers for awhile before that.

There are just two perplexing issues:

1. Since moving to Gen5, my own WordPress-based Web site won't load in Firefox, Chrome, or Safari on any device in our house (my iMac, an iPad Mini, husband's Windows 10 laptop). This never happened on Gen4. When I try to load the site now in any of those browsers, I get a 403 Forbidden error. However, I have verified that all file/folder permissions on the site are correctly set and have tested to ensure that the .htaccess file is not corrupt. And my Web host tech support cannot find any issues either. Oddly, the site DOES load on Opera on my iMac and iPad Mini. Even more confusing, I can load the site's WordPress Dashboard on all four browsers with no issues, make and save changes to the site, etc. UPNP is disabled in my WiFi settings, but I am hardwired into the modem on the iMac anyway; it doesn't use the wifi. The iPad Mini and Hubby's laptop use wifi. I'm at a loss to understand this fickle behavior. 
  2. The other issue involves a gaming forums site I visit frequently. This issue was a problem on Gen4 also. The weird thing about that one is that the site will load on my iPad Mini about 95% of the time, across all times of the day. But on the iMac it will only ever load in the mornings before about 11 AM, and almost never after 11 AM until sometime later in the evening. This is true across all browsers. When this site fails to load, the message I get is as follows (example is from Chrome; but similar message is displayed in other browsers):
This site can’t be reached

The connection was reset.

Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

Every other site I've navigated to works great, service is speedy, games run fine, twitch streams play nicely, etc. For problem #1, I am pretty sure it must somehow be related to the modem/router settings or something on HughesNet's side. For problem #2, it's a complete mystery why the site loads sometimes and not others during fairly predictable times of the day. 

So...any ideas what could be the problem with these two sites and how I might resolve it?

7 REPLIES 7
Liz

Hi BrindleStudio,

Welcome and thanks for posting and providing these details, they really help. Our engineers are looking at why your wordpress site isn't loading. They found that if you disable Web Acceleration, the site will work. Your site should work without having to do this, so this is why our engineers are investigating. I'll let you know once we have any updates on that front.

As for the gaming forum, it appears to be broken on IPv6, so if you were to disable IPv6, the forum should work.

Here's how to do the above tips:

Disabling Web Acceleration

How to Disable IPv6 on Mac

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Cheers, Liz, I will try your suggestions and see what I discover on my end and report back!

Thanks! I got an update from engineering about needing to disable Web Acceleration: they have a new release they're testing now so that you don't have to disable it to access your WordPress site. If the test results are good, the release should come sooner rather than later (like mid-August).

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

@Liz when I connected to the customers wordpress website, I could connect just fine with Web-Acceleration on earlier, and still can as of right now.  I guess they are on a different system? (J2 vs J1 or similar).

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

@Liz when I connected to the customers wordpress website, I could connect just fine with Web-Acceleration on earlier, and still can as of right now.  I guess they are on a different system? (J2 vs J1 or similar).

I gave it a try for the heck of it and with Web Acceleration on it was a no go.  Turned it off and it connected without issue.  Back on and a no go again.  At least there's the temporary workaround for those who need it.  

J2 here, too, of course.  🙂 

@C0RR0SIVE Nope... you're both on the new satellite. I don't know the details about how WAS isn't consistently working as intended, just that this upcoming release should resolve this.

kruegs1982
Spectator

I have been having the exact same issue with Canvas, the LMS that I teach on.  It's been extremely frustrating because I cannot do my job without having access to this website and it's the only one that doesn't work.  I have found a workaround that works 99% of the time but it's not working today.  In the command prompt type:

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

Not sure if this'll help you today since it's not helping me anymore but it's worth a try.