Gen5 Not Working with VPN/RDP Connection when previous setup worked fine

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jessie735
New Poster

Gen5 Not Working with VPN/RDP Connection when previous setup worked fine

Hi.  I've been reading threads on here for a couple days now trying to troubleshoot the issue I'm having and I've seen a lot of similar stories, but not one clear resolution.  Sorry ahead of time, this is a long story...

A couple weeks ago I started having issues with my service going out on my older satellite internet setup.  They sent a tech out and I was told I needed to upgrade my modem, preferably to the Jupiter 2, Gen 5 system.  After being talked into an upgrade being told it would be faster and that my old system wasn't being used anymore, I'm having extreme difficulty getting my VPN and RDP connections to work for my job.  I know, I know satellite and VPN and/or RDP are not necessarily compatible, but up until two weeks ago I have been doing this for over three years with only occasional issues.  I'm literally losing income (and hopefully not my job!), my employer is losing income and I'm super stressed out.

So I've been online trying to troubleshoot every component I can find to see if I can dial in settings on the Gen 5 to make this work.  Tech support at Hughesnet has not been helpful AT ALL.  I have changed my DNS IP and also disabled the Web Acceleration.  Here come the questions...Are there any other suggestions for how to get Gen 5 to work with VPN and RDP?  Is there still a known issues that was escalated to the engineers last year and not resolved?  For the sake of checking everything I can, can I find out if the beam I am using is really the right beam for my area or if I'm in an area that has overlapping beams?  It shows that I'm still on the EchoStar-17-NAD, Beam 51.  Should I be on the EchoStar-19 with Gen 5?  Please help with any and all suggestions as I really don't want to lose my longtime job over this internet issue.  I live in a very rural area, with a young child and traveling to another location to work is not a realistic option.  I don't have a technical background so I've been scouring the internet the last few days to try anything and everything I can to make this work.  I'm really feeling like I was manipulated into an upgrade that does not work for me.  Thank you so much for any and all insight!

9 REPLIES 9
Liz

Hi Jessie,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! This has been escalated to engineering previously, and they have a fix that should address the RDP error. However, the fix needs to be rolled out on the network and we don't have a time frame for when this roll out will occur. I haven't heard from engineering about this in a while so I'll ping them for any updates on this roll out. I'll let you know once I have any news to share.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank you Liz!  I very much appreciate your quick response.

Liz,

I have an additional question for you.  Is it possible to go back to my prevoius service to see if that resolves the issue until the release of the fix you mentioned is complete?

Has this known issue been communicated to the Hughesnet tech support, sales and installation crews?  I'm disappointed that this wasn't disclosed when it was suggested that I upgrade after being clear about my primary use for the internet service.

Thanks again!

Jessie735
New Poster

Adding also that I just tried disabling both Wireless options so it's just my one computer connected through one of the LAN ports.  No improvement.

Jessie735
New Poster

Adding also that I just tried disabling all the wireless options and only having one computer connected through one of the LAN ports to the modem.  No improvement from that either.

Liz

Hi Jessie,

Thank you for your patience, engineering got back to me and pointed out that since you're on a different satellite, there shouldn't be an issue with RDP. I ran diagnostics on your site to check on the HughesNet equipment and everything looks fine. I would suggest posting more details about what happens when you try RDP, such as screenshots of any error messages. I can only troubleshoot the HughesNet equipment, but luckily since you're here in the community, there may be other users who use RDP and can give troubleshooting suggestions for that.

Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I'll send you a PM shortly to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

If I'm still on the same satellite signal, does anybody know if there have been any changes that would impact performance over the last couple weeks?  Something distinctly changed on Thursday night, 3/29 and I have been having trouble since that day when I good service before that date.  Thanks!

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Jessie735

Just so it's on here, I did try to do a 24 hour test to see what would happen to my speeds.  The speeds started out great Sunday morning (I never really get those speeds if I'm actually trying to use the internet), but progressively got worse to the point that the upload tests would repeatedly fail and then the whole thing failed by Sunday night.

Hi Jessie,

Thank you for your update.  Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.