Hughesnet Community

Gen5 Signal Strength Dropping

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen5 Signal Strength Dropping

The past 2 days I have noticed my Signal Strength has dropped down below 30, and the internet was unusable.  I know there was storms in the area around the time my signal dropped.   When it dropped there was no rain or bad clouds around my exact location.   Last night we did not get a drop of rain at my house but still my connection was out for 10-20 mins.  I know DirecTV is slightly different but I only lost signal on DirecTV for a few seconds twice.  When my signal dropped below 30 my connection did not come back until it reached back up in the low 80s.   Tonight was the same way we barely got any rain, and cloud cover here was not really that bad.  I looked at a radar map when I lost connection and there was no rain / storm anywhere close to my area.  Closest storm that would have been a problem was like 40-50 MILES south of me.   I would imagine that far away the signal should be well over any storm / cloud cover in that area!   I know the weather at my Gateway can cause issues with connection also,  but I would think my Signal Strength should stay up if its a storm in the area of my Gateway.

22 REPLIES 22
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

There've been some pretty hefty storms over the last few days in a lot of the west and southwest, which could have affected many of the gateways.  Do you know which gateway you are using?  

On the System Status page of the System Control Center, what are the three letters after J2 in your IP Gateway Association State?  "Data IPGW - J 2 _ _ _" ?

Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD
Gateway ID14
Beam ID68
Outroute ID7

Data IPGW - J2SDO068HNSIGW0102

GabeU

Hmmm.  I don't know what, or where, SDO is.  Perhaps San Diego?  Not sure.  I don't know if San Diego would be a place they would have a Gateway. 

Sometimes it's easy to tell where the Gateway is by those three letters.  Like mine is ROS.  Probably Roswell, NM.  

Unfortunately, we don't have a Gateway map for the Gen5 gateways yet.

But, with that said, like Corrosive mentioned, storms at your Gateway can affect your signal, and there has been a lot of storm activity over the last few days.   

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It's wireless, not cable. Many things can affect signal strength. Not much different than cell phones. Instead of cell towers you have a Gateway location, the weather there will impact your service.

I have my local location and Gateway location saved in my Weather.com shortcuts.

GabeU

@BirdDog wrote:

I have my local location and Gateway location saved in my Weather.com shortcuts.

Me, too.  🙂  Mine, that is, not yours.  LOL.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

@BirdDog wrote:

Me, too.  🙂  Mine, that is, not yours.  LOL.  

Are you sure? Smiley Tongue

GabeU

LOTR.png

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Sure wish they'd start a BS page like I asked for awhile ago. I don't post much anymore simply because I'm bored with same problems. Talking with others in sub-forum may actually get me interested again. Sorry @wildcats198308 for rant on your thread.

Its cool  CHAT IT UP LMAO.... 

If I knew my EXACT Gateway Location I would add add it to my weather apps to check....  No one really knows what SDO stands for....  I guess ill go with San Diego for now.  Man Indifferent

Could start a BS chat through Facebook or something ....

Lettuce not beat around the bush, let's ask Liz .....

@Liz

Where is SDO located?

Better yet, how about another "Ask an Engineer"? 

Jack, can we have a beam/gateway map for Gen5 along with some tech tidbits about ES19?

maratsade

@BirdDog wrote:

Sure wish they'd start a BS page like I asked for awhile ago. I don't post much anymore simply because I'm bored with same problems. Talking with others in sub-forum may actually get me interested again. Sorry @wildcats198308 for rant on your thread.

Hear hear.  Let's have a BS forum!

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@maratsade  @C0RR0SIVE  

You both are on SDO Gatway?  Nice to know others with the same Gateway.  Where are you both located?  I am in South Central PA. 

If you havent had any issues Thursday and Friday evening around 5 eastern, my problems must have been local weather / storm or technical.

maratsade

@wildcats198308, I'm in Central VA.  We had some bad storms yesterday, and even then the signal was holding. I remember a decade ago when the smallest raindrop would stop the connection dead in its tracks. 🙂

No issues on Thu or Fri around 5 pm. Your issue might indeed be local.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

KY...

One thing I have noted, it may not be raining at my house, but, if the cloud cover is heavy enough and raining south of me, I can get knocked out... Being further north, you have more atmosphere that you have to cut through, so storms that may not be close to you, but a few miles away south of ya, could cause issues.

On Friday when I checked my local radar there was nothing that was real close to the south,  there was some heavy rain in just south of Reisterstown Md... which is about 45 miles or so from me.   There may have been other clouds in the area that didnt show on the radar that caused the signal loss.   I need to find a app that shows heavy cloud cover not just rain. 

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

@wildcats198308, I'm in Central VA.  

I lived in VA from 1993 through 2000, and I miss it terribly.  My brother still lives there, though he lives in the southern part of the state and I lived just outside of Washington.  I didn't grow up there, but hope to make it back there some day.  

maratsade

I've been here since 1991, was in New York City before (and London before that).  I love NYC and for many years I missed it terribly, but I've grown to love it here. It's certainly very different!  But it's such a gorgeous place, that I wouldn't want to move away now.