Gen5 - Signal Strength

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidwalters1
Freshman

Gen5 - Signal Strength

We just got Gen5 about a week ago.  Our signal strength in clear weather tops out at in the low 80's.  What is considered normal and acceptable? Our Gen4 strength usually topped out at aboput 125. With the Gen5 install, we moved the dish to the roof and it has a completely clear view of the sky.

25 REPLIES 25
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Depending on location in the beam, your signal on Gen5 will be lower or higher compared to Gen4.  However, if you are only ever seeing low 80's, then the install may need to be looked over...  I am only seeing ~105ish and center of beam.

@Liz can look at your diagnostics and see what the average signal is for your area when she sees this thread.

Hi David,

Thanks for posting, that's a good question! C0RR0SIVE is correct in that optimal signal strength varies by location, so for one area, a 75 signal strength is perfectly normal, wheras 100 could be the norm elsewhere.

For your location, the 70s are perfectly normal for a signal strength.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

OK, thanks!  I'm at 68 right now in heavy fog, and it's still showing as Associated, and seems to be working fine as far as I can tell.  

Liz, My zip is 38871.  When my dish was installed, my signal strength was running in the high 90s to about 105.  I have been away for about two weeks and am now running 65 to 70.  I have a tripod roof mount and the technician had difficulty leveling it for some reason.  While I was away there were high winds, so I wondered if maybe my dish was blown out of alignement.  What is normal signal strength for my area.

Many thanks,

Rspittsiii

Hi Rspittsiii, 

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. I pulled up your account to address your concerns; I see you have a business (SME) account and that your alignment is a bit off. Since we here can only support residential customers, I suggest contacting the business support line at 1-800-347-3272 for further assistance.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz,

Many thanks.  Will do.

Rspittsiii

Hi my gen 5 was installed 5-2-17 and worked well ,the installer got signal strength around 80.almost imediatly the strength went to around 50 and my streaming became unbearable with buffering every few minutes.i check the strength and with no weather issues here its been 41 to 54 for the last month when i check internet speed its all over the place but downloads seem ok but ive seen uploads of .24 to 1.22.the dish is on a pole in the yard,would re-aiming help.thanks D

I checked my internet speed last night and it was 2.4 download and .48 up its about the same this morning the ,the satellite signal strength is 50.i can't find a number to call to have someone fix it or take it back if that's the best I can expect

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

dgiz,

Those speeds make it sound like you are in FAP... Have you exhausted your data allowance?  That aside, if you need immediate support, you might want to call Hughesnet at 1 (866) 347-3292 or create a new thread to address your issues.

Thanks,
C0RR

Hi Corr nope I still have data left I spoke to customer service twice yesterday.the first time was during the day and I had good speed so they said to call back when I had problem which was in the evening when we were trying to stream a callled them when it started buffering and while talking to them speed was mid 2's and up just as bad they did a modem update and said to try it tonight and see if that helped.if there is still a problem she said they would send a tech.hopefully I'm ok 

Hello dgiz,

Your Dispatch is currently scheduled for Wednesday, Jun 28, 2017, between 11:00 AM-02:00 PM. It was assigned to Jupiter Communications LLC. Your work order number is 7745067. Please call the dealer directly at (240)-7801244 if you need to reschedule. Thanks.

-Aedan

-Aedan

Well tech came out Thursday and I had leaves that had grown out in the way. Yesterday I had the limbs removed and the signal strength went to up 80.i was hopeful all was well but last night streaming Netflix on its lowest resolution it was repeatedly buffering when I checked speed it was 750kps,a few minutes later it was 14 mps .im getting a little frustrated.this am sat signal was 85 and connection speed was 44 Mbps.help

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If you are still having concerns about speeds you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 12MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen4 Service Plan
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern, but with it being a Holiday weekend, probably wont be back in till Wednesday at the soonest.

I'm still on Gen4 with an upgrade coming next week.

Seems I have forgotten how to see my curret signal strength, presumably with System Control Center.

Pls refresh my knowledge, since I can't find reference to it here.

Thnx. 

Smiley LOL.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@deepdiver1 wrote:

I'm still on Gen4 with an upgrade coming next week.

Seems I have forgotten how to see my curret signal strength, presumably with System Control Center.

Pls refresh my knowledge, since I can't find reference to it here.

Thnx. 

Smiley LOL.

Yep, in the system control center.  If on the HT1100, go the the SCC and click on System Status.  It's listed on the lower left in the WAN info box.  

www.systemcontrolcenter.com or 192.168.0.1 

Hi I tried to get link to test results but can't figure it out.3.4 MBA this am and buffering every 10 minutes last night trying to stream low resolution Netflix.now what

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

dgiz,

Did you look at the in depth guide?  There are pictures there highlighting what all has to be selected, as well as where and how to get a results URL...

That aside, are you positive you haven't used all your data?

GabeU

@dgiz wrote:

Hi I tried to get link to test results but can't figure it out.3.4 MBA this am and buffering every 10 minutes last night trying to stream low resolution Netflix.now what

What's the name you used for your testmy.net account?  I can scroll through and find your results and your quickstats URL.  

But, a shot in the dark here...is this you?  

http://testmy.net/quickstats/dandef

No that's not me.I haven't used my data it reused on 7-2,I probably haven't registered on test my net although when I go to it my history is there I'll try again. 

GabeU

@dgiz

A lot of times when one runs tests at testmy.net without signing in, they can still see some of their previous tests in their history due to the cookies, but only they, and no one esle, can see them.    

Sometimes you can be signed out of your account, so be sure that you are signed in each time you run them.