Hughesnet Community

Gen5 Slow Download (speedtest: 0.18Mbps down 2.79Mbps up) [related?: Double-NAT and IPv6]

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bustedrover1234
Freshman

Gen5 Slow Download (speedtest: 0.18Mbps down 2.79Mbps up) [related?: Double-NAT and IPv6]

Hello all, we upgraded to Gen5 at my parents house a few months back, and at first service seemed to be very good. There were a few minor issues like Double-NAT with hooking up our home router behind the Hughesnet modem, and a seaming problem with automatic IPv6 on my home router. The problem seamed to solve itself by telling my home router to link-local-only for IPv6, and by simply ignoring the Double-NAT.

For the most part service has been good, although I occasionally have to fiddle with IPv6 to get the internet to start working again. Recently though, the service has become slow, and stayed slow. My mom first mentioned this 1-2 weeks ago, and I have been trying to fix it for the past 2 days now(all without success). I have tried using different computers in the house, and connecting to the Hughesnet modem wifi, instead of my home router wifi; I have also tried connecting directly to the back of the modem with an ethernet cable. Every time I get the same result: slow page-loads and slow streaming.

ALSO, I have run the speed-test for each configuration (home wifi vs Hughesnet wifi vs direct ethernet and IPv6 link-local vs automatic). Speed-test always gives similar results: 0.2-0.8Mbps download, 1.5-2.7Mbps upload.

My parents had the Gen4 satellite for a long time and I know they had the dish repointed at one point, and that help service a lot. could alignment be an issue? then why is upload seemingly unaffected?

3 REPLIES 3
bustedrover1234
Freshman

I think i should also mention that we currently have 45% left on the monthly cycle, so that can be disregarded.

also I havent changed any of the settings on the Hughesnet modem(other than turning off and on wifi); when i say i fiddled with IPv6 i mean i only changed it on my home router, and my laptop. 

and DNS is still set to obtain-from-isp

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@bustedrover1234

To get started in getting help with your speed issues, some speed tests will need to be run, and using a certain protocol.   

You should create an account at testmy.net (if you do not already have one) ( http://testmy.net/ ).  While signed into that account, and with a single device connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable (no WiFi), you should run a batch of three to five download speed tests using the manual 25MB test size.  You should space the tests at least five minutes apart (if you know how to set up automated speed tests at testmy.net, and using the correct test sizes and spacing, you can do that, too, if it makes it easier for you).  You should, if you are able, run a batch of tests a few times a day, preferably in the morning, afternoon and evening.  Again, though, they know that everyone can't do this (people work and whatnot), so just try and get a batch a few different times a day when you can.  

After you have run a few batches of tests, please post your Results page URL (click on Results in testmy.net and copy/paste the URL) in a reply on here so the test results can be viewed.

One other thing:  to make sure that nothing is sapping any of the bandwidth via WiFi, it's best to disable the WiFi while performing the speed tests.  The default password for the HT2000W's WiFi access is "admin" (without the quotes).  If you do not know how to do that, here's a link to the sheet that shows how.  The section in question is titled "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem", and the part you want is under the letter c.  It's a PDF...  http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1041318-0001_a.pdf 

Below is a macro containing the protocol for the tests, much of which I already prefaced.  

To help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

Service is much better today. I did followed your procedure, and did some speed tests: http://testmy.net/quickstats/HughesVAtest1234

I have since plugged back in my home router and service continues to be good on my double nat wifi.

still some slight issues keeping up with 480p, although that seams to be getting better. There is now no problem with 360p. I am streaming on Youtube, I have not tested Amazon Prime yet.

Not sure what caused the problem. Everything is configured basically as it was, and service is good. I will continue to run speed tests at testmy.net to monitor if the problem returns

Thanks