Gen5 - a little excited & a little nervous

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
M_
Sophomore

Gen5 - a little excited & a little nervous

Ok so I bit the bullet and have signed up for an upgrade to Gen5. Hopefully it will go well and I will see 25mbps after 5pm versus the less than 1mbps I am getting now. I guess I have nothing to lose really unless it just completely fails. 🙂 Keep your fingers crossed for me - new install happens Thursday.

8 REPLIES 8
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I can tell you that your speeds with the ES19 will most likely be very good around the clock for a while, as it is very lightly loaded, at this point.  I used to have a VERY noticeable difference in speed between peak and off peak times with Gen4 on the ES17, but have not noticed any speed degredation to speak of with Gen5 on the ES19 at any time of the day.  With that said, of course, all beams are different, but I have a feeling you will be very pleasantly surprised.

I don't blame you for being nervous.  The install can make all the differnce in the world.  Here's hoping you get a cracker-jack of an installer!  I just completedd 5 speed tests starting at 10:45 tonight.  Used testmy.com.  HN accepts their results.  Here they are in order:

51Mbps

Those are great download speeds but I wish my browsing improved as much as my downloads.  The browsing speed improvement is detectable but nothing to write home about.  I'm hoping when the installelr comes back next week to install a new pole and re-points the dish, he can lock into a a better signal strength.  He said it was 102 right before he walked out the door.  I've never seen it more than 92 and as low as 86

Prior to 3-4 months ago, my Gen 4 download speed was about 10Mbps.  Then all of the sudden it jumped to about 28-30Mbps. 

Gen 5 has been between  35 and 50Mbps 😮

Good luck!

@GabeU the "for a while" part is a little worrisome, but realistic I suppose. I hope they don't overload this like they did with Gen4. I feel really bad because i was really bragging it up how great the speeds were - enough that a friend signed up. She loved it too. then boom...no more data for you after 5pm! 😞 I felt really bad that I had convinced her to spend the money and then she doesn't get the great speeds when she's normally home. She's getting Gen5 on Friday too so maybe we will both be happy again.

@monicakm - thank you so much for the testing results. Those numbers make me very happy! Crossing my fingers that my results will be similar. If it's the same tech that came a few months ago, he was pretty good. So we'll see. After reading some of your earlier posts, I know some of what to look for before I let him leave, so thanks for that! Where do I find the info that shows signal strength & satellite? I meant to check last night and forgot. I assume it's in the modem portal somewhere, just never looked before.

I'm thrilled with the download speeds too but I'd rather have faster browsing.  They are a little faster.  Google only takes SEVEN minutes to open vs 11.  Why does www.google take SO long to open?  Have you ever looked on the HN System Control Center page?  It's the same link.  With Gen 5 it will look different tho.  At the top of that page, click on "System Status".  Look at the bottom of the page for Satellite Receive Signal Strength.  Good luck!

GabeU

@monicakm wrote:

Google only takes SEVEN minutes to open vs 11.  Why does www.google take SO long to open?  

Say what?  SEVEN MINUTES to open Google????????????

Is this on a computer?  A tablet?  Everything?  

Sheesh!  If that's really the case I would create a post on here addressing that and asking for help (I don't have any ideas).  That's crazy.  Even with the latency, Google shouldn't take more than a couple of seconds to load, even when first opening the browser.  Something is definitely wrong, but I have a feeling that resetting the pole and fine tuning the aim of the dish isn't going to make any difference, though I could be wrong.  With the speeds you are presently getting Google should be opening very quickly.

Well it seems like minutes!  Actually it's 7 seconds 🙂  Just opened a new window (Goolge is homepage).  Took 9 seconds.

Install went well 🙂 Speeds are indeed faster. True test will be tonight, but this afternoon, I'm very happy. This install actually came at a good time. This morning while working I kept getting dropped from internet. So far, after new modem install, no drops. 🙂 Installer was very nice. Install was fast. He showed me how to access the wifi setings and gave me more info about the Gen 5 features. He explained how the throttling is different (I didn't ask he just told me). Good experience 🙂

GabeU

@monicakm wrote:

Well it seems like minutes!  Actually it's 7 seconds 🙂  Just opened a new window (Goolge is homepage).  Took 9 seconds.

Are you using Chrome?  If so, I might have an idea that could speed your browsing up, especially the opening of new pages.  

If you do use Chrome, you could try disabling prefetching.  To do so, when on Chrome.....

1. Click the “Menu” button in the upper-right corner, then select “Settings“.
  2. Scroll down and select the “Show advanced settings…” option.
  3. Scroll down to the “Privacy” section, then un-check the “Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly” option to disable Prefetch.

That may help.  It did for me.