Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen5 configure ftp

MarkJFine
Professor

Re: Gen5 configure ftp

very strange. Even in passive mode?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
borzoidd
Freshman

yes.  FWIW I also have issues connecting to certain sites.  Unfortunately they all happen to be my clients on the same host.  Hughesnet support sent a signal to my modem which was supposed to be a permanent fix but it wasn't.  I've found that to even view those sites I have to turn off mod_sec in cpanel for them - which I really don't want to do.  There is definitely something funky with my setup.

MarkJFine
Professor

Yeah, you don't want to do that because you'd be leaving them open to everyone. The way things are, people are pinging sites constantly scanning for security holes to instantaneously jump into.

It is possible that some kind of firewall is getting triggered somewhere. If you need to be whitelisted, just remember that your public IP isn't always the one that's seen. For example, Apache web logs seem to always pick up the static public one (e.g., Test Your IPv6), but other systems (e.g., APNIC Whois Search) show the dynamc one somehow. Go figure.

But just to make sure it's an isolated thing, can you ftp to other places? You can probably find some sites to test in Anonymous FTP Sites List

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
MarkJFine
Professor

I probably should have also asked what OS you're running... I know Windows does app-by-app firewalling of things, MacOS is more global and spread out in several areas, and I don't even want to talk about the mysteries of selinux.

Amanda

Hi borzoidd

I was reviewing your notes and saw that when you called in on 8/7 the Web Acceleration feature was turned off so that you could access a  few different websites. After trying private browsing it was notated that you could access those sites. I need to get a little more information about both the FTP and site issues to continue-

Can you tell me if you can get to those sites with Web Acceleration disabled or is that not working for you now?

Is UPnP enabled or disabled on your system?

Did the inability to use FTP and access these sites start from day 1 of having Gen5?

Thank you

Amanda

borzoidd
Freshman

Thank you for looking into this. 

I can access sites with web accelleration turned on. also I turned mod_sec back on and was able to view them too (this time).

Upnp is enabled.

I do believe the inability to ftp started at day one but honestly didn't try to use ftp until day 3.  

borzoidd
Freshman

oops forgot the operating system.  I am on Windows 10.  Let me know if you need to know anything else.

MarkJFine
Professor

Just in case, might want to see if Windows Firewall (if W10 still uses it) has disabled or blocked ftp for your ftp clients.

And Amanda brings up a good point: Web acceleration could causing port issues (or other things) that the host you're trying to connect to doesn't like. You wouldn't normally think it would, but you might want to try disabling it and see if it makes a difference with your ftp connection.

borzoidd
Freshman

Set windows firewall to let ftp through and even tried disabling it all together to test ftp.  Neither helped. 

Web accelleration is disabled.

MarkJFine
Professor

I'm stumped.