Gen5 configure ftp

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
borzoidd
Freshman

Gen5 configure ftp

Just upgraded to Gen5 last week and have not had ftp since.  Can anyone please tell me how to configure the modem so ftp connections are allowed?  I have disabled upnp, disabled web accelleration, tried to map port 21 in the control center (unsure of the IP address they want for this).  There are no instructions anywhere.  Out of minutes so can't call but when I tried the online chat support I was challanged as to "why" I needed ftp connections (I use it to work online as if it's any of their business).  As soon as I told her why - the tech stopped talking to me and kept posting "we have limited resources on chat support - please call", no matter what I asked.  

All I want is instructions for setting up ftp on this modem.  It shouldn't be top secret or banned.  

34 REPLIES 34

Technically, it's really multiple proxies, NATs, "gateways", etc. (could be up to four, last count), but not really the traditional proxy we think of in a corporate network environment. They may need to know from the standpoint of their firewall, which is where knowing the right IP comes into play. The plublic one should work, if not you may have to provide new ones (the dynamic one) every time the modem re-associates.

Interestingly enough, my test didn't say this. I'm on J2SDO068. Wonder if your Gateway/Beam has a slightly different configuration or software.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Just spent over an hour on the phone with hughesnet support.  Even after I was able to get transferred to "advanced technical support" the tech I was talking to didn't even know what FTP was.  Come on you are supposed to be "advanced" technical support.  The final answers were "we cannot do that" and "it's your software"

Can anyone who knows ftp and the system control panel for the modem help?

Another 3 hours on and off the phone with hughesnet technical "support".  Since I spoke with advanced technical support yesterday and they were supposed to call back - I asked to be connected with advanced technical support and/or a manager.

Once I was transfered to "In home technical support" a pay for service company and I was not told in advance I was being transferred to them.  3 times when I asked for a manager I was hung up on - never did get a manager.  I have been told that advanced support tried yesterday - but all she did was try to map port 21 with no success.  She did not know which of the many ip addresses we were seeing should go in the port mapping page.  She said a manager would call me.  Now ATS refuses to take my case.  Manager's refuse to call or take a call and the only option I've been given is to pay $100 in advance for the "in home" company to give it a try with no assurances that they know what their doing or if they can do it. 

I've also been told by first line support that it is not possible, that it is vpn related or that it is software related.  I would be happy to stipulate to any of these if they could back it up (which they haven't).  Others on Gen5 have gotten ftp connections (as stated in this thread), and, in the port mapping section of the system control panel FTP is given as an option.  

Guess I will call corporate tomorrow and see if they answer the phone or can connect me to someone with the technical knowhow to help.

If Hughesnet refuses to give support - where am I to turn.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Port Mapping and Port Forwarding are for if you want to access your equipment that is on Hughesnet, from an outside source, it has no bearing on you being able to connect to your hosting provider.

Curiously, who is your hosting provider for those FTP servers you're trying to connect to?

Thank you for your response.  multiple hosts (innohosting, godaddy, etc...) for maintaining and building websites.  Currently Wordpress' update function is glitchy at best and often needs to be updated manually via FTP.  I also work with other applications online such as cpanel and whm.

Lol... yeah, WP is kind of a special word for some of us. I just had an entire site go batty with an overloaded database because the WP Hide Post plugin has a serious problem with 4.8, then got worse when 4.8.1 "installed itself". Fun times.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Well it doesn't matter who the host is.  I can't get a connection with any host.

@borzoidd

I know that's got to be frustrating. Hopefully someone can uncork 21/22 for you.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I am willing to bet that the hosts are either not detecting the users IP correctly (we have been seeing that with random sites it seems?), or have the users IP on a blacklist...

I know that my host (where many of these sites are) does have automatic IP blocking in place.  I do have the means to check that and remove the block myself when needed.  One of the things tech support at my host said was the proxy issue.  Is it worth it to get a static IP?

too bad - would have solved things quickly.

Resolved!!Cat Very Happy

I contacted executive technical support.  The tech there sent data to my modem to reinstall all of its operating software.  Basically, a clean install.   Issue fixed and I am connected.  Latency is much more of an issue than with Gen4 but that is another topic.  

It is sad that the front line support either could not think of this or did not have the resources to do this.  The problem would have been resolved much sooner and I would have been a happy customer.  For now I am satisfied but tired and worn out by the endeavor.

Hindisght's always 20/20. Quite frankly, I never would have thought there was a problem with the modem software.

Nevertheless, glad to see you up and running. As a former Gen4, now Gen5 person myself, and one who has just processed and sftp'd a weekly podcast (~55Mb), I am certain you will appreciate the new upload speeds immensely.