Gen5 ftp broken since 15 December 2018

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mweasner
Sophomore

Gen5 ftp broken since 15 December 2018

Since 15 December 2018 ftp access to my web server has stopped working reliably day and night. Sometimes I can get a reliable fast connection, other times a connection but very slow, and many times no connection at all.  I tried a friend's ftp server that uses a different host in a different part of the country and still have the ftp problem.  I searched the Forum and see that over the years many users have had ftp problems with HughesNet.  http access to the server works fine.  I have rebooted the HN modem and one of the computers used to access ftp but that didn't help. I see this problem on multiple Macs and multiple iOS devices so it would appear that the common source of the problem is HughesNet.  Why?  What's the fix to get reliable HN ftp again?

54 REPLIES 54
MarkJFine
Professor

I use sftp and ssh daily to maintain the security on two web sites.

I've had no issues whatsoever.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

HN Gen5 modem/router was rebooted Saturday, 22 Dec.  Problem is still occurring.  ftp connections are unreliable, but only through the HN modem.  ftp via a cell network connection work fine.  Definitely a HughesNet problem.

ftp working again.  I tried multiple times every day since 15 December.   It wasn't until 26 December that I had reliable connections.  Wonder what was wrong.  Certainly not my ftp server as it was accessible via AT&T LTE and another user who was on a cable Internet system.  The only culprit could have been HughesNet or the HN Gen5 modem/router.

Or the upstream provider at the ground station.

Or anywhere in the path from the upstream provider to wherever you were trying to ftp.

IOW: It doesn't necessarily have to be HughesNet or their equipment, especially if AT&T uses a different path.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

That's true.  Anywhere along the line that HN uses which could be different than AT&T or a cable provider.  But a search for "ftp" in this HN user forum does show a lot of problem reports with failed ftp connections over the years.  Might be a pattern there...

I do have to wonder about HN for business users.  For their modem/router to not have a configuration backup/restore capability should be a killer for businesses who require reliable services.  I reported this concern directly to HughesNet over a year ago.  Still nothing.

I can do a search for the term "bleep" on here and come up with a tremendous amount of hits, but that still doesn't mean the majority use foul language.

I still maintain that my sftp connections are fine, and I use it a tremendous amount for server administration. Considering that's secure ftp, not even regular ftp, it tends to point to a problem with your particular situation. That could include your particular beam/gateway and upstream path, but not generically HughesNet.

I spoke too soon about the ftp issue being fixed.  ftp became totally dead last week.  I contacted the host provider; no issues on their end.  I called HughesNet Tech Support this morning.  The rep tried a few things, but nothing worked.  Still no ftp access via HughesNet.  Other Internet protocols (http, https, LDAP, IMAP, DNS) still work fine.  She has elevated the call to their advanced technical suppport.  Unfortunately, she said it could be 2-3 days before they reach out to me.

Today (Saturday) I got a phone call from HughesNet Technical Support.  Unfortunately, their call was to be made to me on a business day.  Unfortunately, the call was flagged as a "Telemarketer" by AT&T, so I didn't answer it.  The caller did leave a voicemail message with a callback number and pin to use.  However, the pin was not valid.  I also tried calling the phone number that was used by the caller.  It was disconnected after two rings.  Too bad that HughesNet doesn't use a valid caller ID when returning phone calls.  Now I have to call Tech Support on Monday and probably start all over again.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Well, that stinks.  Can you try chat?  They may be able to do something. Could be worth a try.

@mweasner wrote:

Today (Saturday) I got a phone call from HughesNet Technical Support.  Unfortunately, their call was to be made to me on a business day.  Unfortunately, the call was flagged as a "Telemarketer" by AT&T, so I didn't answer it.  The caller did leave a voicemail message with a callback number and pin to use.  However, the pin was not valid.  I also tried calling the phone number that was used by the caller.  It was disconnected after two rings.  Too bad that HughesNet doesn't use a valid caller ID when returning phone calls.  Now I have to call Tech Support on Monday and probably start all over again.

I called back to the Tier 4 advanced support Monday morning.  The "advanced" support person I spoke with did NOT understand what ftp is.  I had to explain it to him.  He then reported that speed was OK and explained to me about the number of device limitations with their service.  When I asked where that was documented for customers, he could not give me any specifics other than to check the HN legal web pages.  He did say that he was seeing a large number of packet errors (which do not show up in the modem web page on my end).  He decided that it would be best to send a technician out to physically check the system. That tech should come on Wednesday, 9 January.  I hope that technician understands about ftp...

HughesNet technician came today.  He was awesome (even though he didn't know what ftp was).  He saw errors on both the modem AND the dish.  He replaced both and now my ftp access is working again.  (Hope I'm not speaking too soon again.)  For what it is worth, this is my 4th Gen5 modem.  The previous ones were each replaced for different problems.

Again, I spoke too soon about ftp working.  It worked all day every time I tried after the tech left.  Then worked once at night.  Then 3 hours later it stopped working.  Will see what happens on Wednesday.  Looks like I may have to consider Viasat (formerly Exede).

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@mweasner

Just out of curiosity, do you know which Gateway you're using?   I'm just wondering if it's San Diego, which seems to be having some issues.  

You can see in the "IP Gateway Association State" on this page.  It will be the three letters after the J1 or J2, as in like mine, which is J2ROS051HNSIGW0104, with the ROS corresponding to Roseburg, OR.  You can see the full instructions on how to determine your Gateway on Corrosive's personal site, which is here.  The site can take a bit of time to load.    

I'm on the same gateway.  The plot thickens...

Hello mweasner,

Are you still experiencing issues with this?

-Jay

ftp is still hit-and-miss via HughesNet.  Had a lot of problems Monday morning.  Would get a connection to the ftp server and a directory listing.  Uploaded some small files (HTML and JPEG) successfully.  Then a few seconds later upload aborted mid-upload.  Had a lot of problems getting reconnected.  Had to give up.

This morning connected to the ftp server and uploaded several small files.  No issues.

Since my modem and dish electronics have been replaced (and my local devices rebooted many times since 15 December 2018), maybe the Gateway needs to be rebooted.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

They can't really "reboot" a gateway without knocking everyone on it off air. Doubt they are going to do that.

I'm wondering if they could put you on a different Outroute ID just to see if it makes a difference. I know from experience it can greatly affect an individul's system performance.

What ftp client are you using (if any), and are you using secure (sftp) or regular?

If you're using Filezilla, there's an issue with reconnecting after a curtailed send. Killing FileZilla and restarting it usually fixes the reconnect problem.

I use several ftp apps.  On the Macs I use CaptainFTP and Cyberduck.  On the iPhone and iPad I use EasyFTP Pro.  On one of the Macs I also use a CURL ftp terminal command at times to upload a single char file.  Sometimes these all work fine.  Other times they all fail.  Sometimes one will work when the others fail.  But there is no consistency as to what works when.  There seems to be no pattern with the failures.  Time of day doesn't matter.  Happens with multiple computers and handheld devices.  BUT doesn't happen when I use the AT&T LTE cell network from the handheld devices.

Likely a latency thing affecting the protocol then. Maybe the FileZilla problem (also on Mac) isn't just FileZilla. Could be something lower level occurring in macos/ios and I've just never noticed it.