cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen5 ftp broken since 15 December 2018

Assistant Professor

Re: Gen5 ftp broken since 15 December 2018

Likely a latency thing affecting the protocol then. Maybe the FileZilla problem (also on Mac) isn't just FileZilla. Could be something lower level occurring in macos/ios and I've just never noticed it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Freshman

Could be latency.  BUT I never had this problem until 15 December 2018.  I've been on HughesNet since 2013 and Gen5 since 2017.  And I still see about 700ms pings, which has been consistent since 2013.

mweasner,

Could you please send me the FTP URL? I would like to escalate your issue to the engineers.

Thank you,

Jay

Freshman

Thanks.  The URL is www.weasner.com.  

I'm not ready to declare ftp success yet but yesterday morning, last night, and this morning ftp worked fine.  That's the longest period of time since this problem started on 15 December 2018 without ftp connection issues.  (And no, the Mac and iOS updates that Apple released on Tuesday do not factor in.  I have not yet done any of those updates.)

Distinguished Professor IV

@mweasner 

I like your site.  You've done some very impressive and exciting things in your life thus far.  Smiley Happy 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

Thanks!  I've had fun over the many years.

As to the ftp issue, still can't declare success.  Didn't work Wednesday night.  Two hours later still didn't work.  Two minutes after that it did work.  Worked this morning too.  So still hit and miss.

Freshman

ftp problems via HughesNet continue hit and miss.  Saturday night (MST) could not connect to my ftp server through HughesNet, but could using the AT&T cell network.  Sunday morning (MST) an ftp connection was made but then it dropped.  I reconnected and managed to get the small HTML and JPEG files uploaded.  I'm on the top tier service for residential.  So whatever problem that started on 15 December 2018 is continuing.

Freshman

ftp connections are still hit and miss.  Supposedly HughesNet was going to try an alternate beam but I never received a confirmation of that.

Highlighted

mweasner, 

I am still working closely with engineering on this issue and will reply back as soon as I have any update!  Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

-Jay

Freshman

Here's more information on this failed ftp situation with HughesNet.

As has been the case since December of last year, ftp connections continue to be hit and miss from multiple computers and handheld devices.  Many times the initial connection to the ftp server will fail, only to work a few minutes or hours later. Other times the connection will work, only to fail a few minutes later. It has even failed in the middle of uploading a small TEXT or JPEG file (10-200 KB) to the ftp server.

To make matters even worse, other connections are becoming unreliable.  I am seeing increasing random failures getting email (IMAP), web pages (HTTP), and even software updates (OS, applications).

The frustrations continue to build...