cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen5 ftp broken since 15 December 2018

Assistant Professor

Re: Gen5 ftp broken since 15 December 2018

With the weird network delays that have been occurring, 60 would be an extreme minimum and would likely time out 10-20% of the time initially and the odds would go up exponentially over time. I'd be surprised if 30 would work if at all.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Freshman

Those 60s and 30s settings worked fine until mid-December 2018.

Assistant Professor

The approximate time when the CenturyLink/Level3 backbone started going bananas.

I'm seeing other things timeout that never did before, and none of them have anything to do with HugheNet. What they do have in common is CL/L3 involved at some point in the trace. That includes oauth timeouts between my server in Pennsylvania and Twitter (2 hops from one to the other - all CL/L3), as well as between a regular web site I use and their content delivery network in Los Angeles (also only 2 hops from one to the other - all CL/L3).

Just so happens, looking at hop 5 in your traceroute, guess what backbone your gateway is going through?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Freshman

ftp still hit-n-miss on 25 April and 26 April.

Freshman

It has been several months since my last update on this issue.  The ftp protocol connections are now mostly a "miss" via HughesNet.  And to make matters worse, other protocols have become problematic.  Web access, email, and software update downloads are now experiencing significant issues.  Most of the problems appear to be with the Internet routing servers 216.6.33.133 and 107.162.79.2.  I realize that this is not a HughesNet issue.  I suppose that if HughesNet were a significant player on the Internet it might have some clout with the owners of those servers.  But I assume there is nothing HughesNet can do to improve its service to its customers when Internet routing issues like this continue to occur for months.  So I have to live with the deteriorating service.  At some point, it may become unusable.