Gen5 lots of problems

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmorgil
Freshman

Gen5 lots of problems

Hello, my first post here. I am a new Hughesnet/Satellite user. A big learning curve. I previously had a static Ipv4 address with my prior provider. I am now learning the pitfalls of Dynamic Ipv6 address. My remote cameras will never work, no matter what I was told by the salesman for Hughes. The fact is Ipv6 does not utilize "ports". There are none. The cameras require Ipv4 to be visible on the internet remotely period. Also, location sensitive programs/apps that do not rely on GPS, won’t work. Hughesnet's Dynamic IP addresses assigned to us change sometimes by the minute. It will locate you all over the USA by IP address. Seldom near where you actually are. Most streaming services (e.g. Sling) need your true local USA address to stream you all those awesome local networks. None of those will now work.

Finally, the Modem. It doesn't hold a candle to my much better Linksys WT1200AC. Shutting off the wi-fi in the WT2000 and using the Linksys as an "extender" does not seem to be working very well. There is a lot of trouble hooking up some devices. Constant drops and finally, complete crash. It seems the trouble comes from the fact that even if the wireless is shut on the WT2000, you are still using the WT2000's LAN. It is not a Modem to Router connection. The added router causes problems with some things. It appears the Linksys must be the primary and only router for it to function correctly. My router to router set up is either incorrect or, router to router is causing strange issues and always will.  The WT2000 on its own is dropping connections constantly. I have to re-boot it 2 to 3 times a day to keep the wireless network running. It runs warm and there are no fans. Sometimes it simply stops transmitting altogether. I have 25 devices on my network.  2.4 and 5 GHz as well as direct wire to the modems LAN ports. I am not impressed with this WT2000 router at all. My Linksys never needed anything. Any ideas? Is this just Satellite Internet trouble I am not used to?

And regardless of what the salesman told me, it was awful during a thunderstorm. Speed dropped to nothing and all devices were dumped. I had to reboot every device as well as the Modem to get back up again! What a mess. Help!

13 REPLIES 13
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@bmorgil

Regarding the signal loss during a storm, this isn't unusual.  Unfortunately, just like satellite TV, satellite internet is susceptible to rain fade.   It can't be avoided.  And, the further north you are, the more susceptible the system is to such.

As for the router/WiFi problems, I can't help you with that.  I'm not very versed with routers.  Others on here are, though, and hopefully they can help.    

maratsade

When I first signed up with Hughesnet yonks ago, a gust of wind or a drop of rain would degrade the system.  It's come a looooong way since then, and now it's pretty sturdy and very rarely loses the signal. Still does with really powerful storms or when there's ice on the dish (I need a self-heating dish, lol). But then when I had a landline, I used to lose the connection during storms too (and when squirrels chewed through the wiring).

bmorgil
Freshman

Update:

I have been in communication with Tech service. They try to be very helpful but in the end, Most of my post information is indeed "The way it is". Ipv4 cameras will not work on Ipv6 when you try to view on the Internet. Managed DNS like no-ip.com will not work on Ipv6. Dynamic Personal Internet addresses do not allow some web sites (Sling) to locate you. The regional or location will not function properly. You will get no regional programing from Sling for instance. Searching on whatismyipadress.com will show the various locations you could be located at. I would think this could be resolved at Hughesnet. It seams correcting location may be possible with the IP's input. Hughesnet... can you help with correcting location?  whatismyipadress.com is able to do it. I want my regional sports back!

One thing I might have resolved. You must be shure to shut off the WT2000's wi-fi before you do anything. The WT2000 seems to be prone to channel conflicts. If you have 2 wireless routers, the WT2000 will not discriminate channels. It will assign things to the same channel. I have also found trouble with my wireless printer and conflicting channels with the WT2000 bieng to close. The Linksys has helped with the wireless LAN issues. The WT2000 still needs to be rebooted several times a week however. I will keep monitoring the Wireless issues.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Location services are a no go.

You have a dynamic IP, owned by Hughes. That IP is being shared with perhaps hundreds of other Hughes subscribers. You are behind a CGN web acceleration server. You have no public facing IP. At best your Gateway location may be picked up as your "location"

maratsade

@Gwalk900 wrote:

You have a dynamic IP, owned by Hughes. That IP is being shared with perhaps hundreds of other Hughes subscribers. You are behind a CGN web acceleration server. You have no public facing IP. At best your Gateway location may be picked up as your "location"

I don't understand this.  My location services pinpoint exactly where my devices are.  I must be misunderstanding what you mean.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@maratsade wrote:

@Gwalk900 wrote:

I don't understand this.  My location services pinpoint exactly where my devices are.  I must be misunderstanding what you mean.

Devices with GPS will use that and cell phones can use the towers. Because IP address with satellite jumps around, location service over the internet is a no go like Gwalk said.

Oh, and some sites where you have an account setup with your address will use that as default location.

LightWaveTech
Freshman

1st the WT2xxx modems do have power issues that cuase it to act funny. do not use splitters or surge protecters. plug straight in wall, and wall outlet must be wired right. you can check with outlet checker.

2nd if it was properly installed and aligned right you shouldn't have signal issues in rain or snow.

3rd the problem isn't with ipv4 or ipv6, it has both. the problem is Hughes uses NAT and you'll never get remote ip's to work. for remote access you need to setup P2P and use serial numbers to work.

4th the built in upnp can cause issues for things like xbox, disable upnp and should be good.

5th any router broadcasting on the same channel will crash and reboot, set auto channel on all routers.

I run two Gen5 systems at my location in Montana and never have weather related issues. I have a Dahua PSS camera system that runs full time with PTZ's and remote access is not a problem.

If you're behind any network provider that uses NAT you must P2P and use Serial Numbers of equipment you're trying to connect to.

Hope this helps
GabeU

@LightWaveTech

#2:  No installation is immune to weather if the cloud cover/rain/snow is heavy enough, including the gateways, no matter how well it's installed. 

#4:  The issue with UPnP has been resolved.  No need to disable.  

this is true but it takes allot to effect it.

good to hear about upnp fix.
GabeU

@LightWaveTech wrote:
good to hear about upnp fix.

It saved a lot of people from headaches, that's for sure.  

GabeU, since you seem to be the go-to guy here, I wonder if you can give me a hand. I'm a newbie with this whole satellite internet thing. My son is trying to hook up an Xbox One but because he has a double NAT, cannot connect with others. I've been on the phone for days with Xbox and HughesNet and no one has an answer. If I use a LinkSys, or something like that, and plug the Xbox in directly, do you think that would solve the double NAT issue? No one seems to have an answer for me. Maybe you don't but I'm trying every avenue. Thanks so much!

GabeU

@dzjboyle

Unfortunately, when it comes to networking, I'm woefully inadequate.  There are, however, a few "regulars" on here who do know quite a bit about networking and can probably help with the double NAT issue.  

Your best bet would be to start a new topic in the Tech Support section, which you can do here... https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/TechSupport

Sorry I couldn't be of any help.  😞