cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen5 **ridiculously** slow during normal human hours

Highlighted
Freshman

Gen5 **ridiculously** slow during normal human hours

This is basically a repeat of what I added to the "solved" post here.

I'm a new (about 6 weeks in) Gen5 customer that has not been able to use the Hughesnet service at all.  So far just money thrown away.  Would have been gathering data sooner, but recently moved, unpacked, sold house... life stuff.

My service is absolutely unusable except during the wee hours of the morning.  I can stream Netflix at less than 240p, and it cuts out constantly.  To watch an hour-long program, you should probably set aside a good 3-4 hours.  I use a roughly 6 Mbps DSL connection (which I have for reliable upload connections for WiFi calling) as my primary right now, and I can stream at 480p with that (sometimes even 720p!).

Here are my TestMy.net results, which are ongoing right now.  Should give a pretty good picture though:

http://testmy.net/quickstats/JonMc

I have no leaks.  Running GlassWire, and nothing but the basic Windows processes.  The biggest network hog is the TestMy test packets.  No other devices are on the Hughesnet network.  My computer is hard-connected to the modem.

Please help make this usable so I don't waste more money.

Thank you,

Jon

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Gen5 **ridiculously** slow during normal human hours

Hi JonMc,

Thank you for your post. I was able to locate your account and while I am not sure how much, if any, data was left on your account before you began testing but there is no data at this moment. It appears that 30GB was used by an ASUS computer, last 4 of the MAC address is "f2:ae" however your monthly data allowance is 20GB. Having exceeded your data will cause your speeds to become lower, which appears to be in line with the results you are seeing.

~Amanda

Highlighted
Freshman

If that is the case, I was horribly mislead when I signed up for this service.  I thought I had additional data available with the bonus data.  No sense in having this service for only 20GB a month.  I'm better off bringing in a secondary DSL connection for half the price.  I swear the salesman I spoke to on the phone told me I was getting way more data a month than 20GB.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

JonMc, 

You do have 50GB of Bonus data, but that can only be used between the hours of 2AM and 8AM (in your time zone).  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Freshman

I recall the salesman mentioning that 50 gigs of bonus data, but I was never clearly informed of that 2-8 am part.  That should have been made very clear in my opinion, as that was a big factor in me signing up for this service.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor I

You should perhaps request that your sales call be reviewed -- the company may have a recording of it and they can verify what the salesperson told you.