cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen5 router - mesh network capable?

Gen5 router - mesh network capable?

Is it possible to create a mesh network with third party routers (Asus) using the Gen5 router? is there some additional software that the Gen5 router can use to extend the network to other routers in the house?

3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Gen5 router - mesh network capable?

@mth

Not sure about a mesh network, but I can tell you that there is no additional software that can be added, or changed, with the Gen5 modem/router.  Whether it actually can be done I don't know, but I do know that any attempt to do so will void any warranty on the modem, and would probably be considered a violation of the service agreement.  

With this said, people do use 3rd party routers with the Gen5 modem, and you can turn off the radios in the Gen5 modem so that they don't interfere with any setup you may have or try to make.  I don't know if will help, but figured I'd mention it.  

The following HT2000W User Guide gives the ins and outs of the modem.  It's a PDF... 

https://support.hughesnet.com/sites/support.hughesnet.com/files/inline-files/1041264-0001_a.pdf

Edit:  Others on here have considerably more knowledge than I do when it comes to networking, and they may be able to give advice about what you're looking to be able to do.  They may reply to your post.  Smiley Happy  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Associate Professor

I don't know who came up with the idea of "Modern Mesh" nor "Mesh" wifi... But they shouldn't have, as it complicates an otherwise simple task...

Before this whole craze for Wireless Extenders, or "Mesh Wifi" the easiest task was the following...

1: Grab an Access Point (Or, another router if that router lets you disable DHCP, and put it into nothing but an Access Point Mode!)
2: Connect the LAN (NOT WAN if using a third party router!) port of the access point to the LAN port of the HT2000w
3: Set the access point SSID and password to match that of the "Base Unit" (HT2000w)
4: Set the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels on the two units at opposite ends of the spectrum so that they don't clash.
5: Leave the LAN cable attached and throw the access point where you have that dead zone, yes the cable is required when doing this.
5: Here's the part that modern mesh supposedly fixed...

Some devices would hop between the access points with ZERO issues, however, some devices would recognize a different MAC address and would require that they have the password re-entered at least during the initial hop to the other access point.  In my case, I have two access points, I had to enter in the password (same password) when going from one access point to the other, but that was only once during the initial setup.

Modern Mesh supposedly simplifies that, and makes the network appear as if it's just one big wifi network, which it isn't, it also removes the need for a LAN cable, which, IMO, can cause more issues than it's worth.  To be fairly honest, it's more of a marketing gimmick than anything where they use wifi repeaters with a router.

But yes, ANY decent router is capable of a "Mesh Wifi" network, but every manufacture has a proprietary idea as far as the "Mesh" user interface appears as, or how it works for end consumers.  In our case, there is nothing "Mesh" aside from what you make it.

Hi mth,

Great question! In my opinion the best way to go about this is to turn off the radios on the HT2000W, hook up a primary router, set it to AP (access point) go from there. I do know that Eero mesh system works as I helped someone set one up not long ago on the HughesNet service. You should be able to set up any type of makeshift mesh system. A friend of mine picked up a Netgear set which was not as fun to set up Smiley Sad

As C0RR0SIVE0 mentions, some of the stylish looking systems with "features" all over the place may just be overkill marketing, as was the case with my friend's setup.