cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen5 url blocking

Highlighted
New Poster

Gen5 url blocking

I would like to stop people from watching youtube videos.  So I followed the example and entered x.youtube.com and clicked Save Settings. I opened a new browser, navigated to youtube.com and the site was not blocked.  I also tried using the administration reboot router feature and the site was not blocked.  What am I doing wrong?

19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Gen5 url blocking

@JoeWI

I don't know for sure if this will help, but I would try power cycling the modem and restarting the devices that connect through the HT2000W's WiFi.  By power cycling the modem I mean unplugging it at the wall outlet or power brick, waiting at least 30 seconds, then plugging it back in and waiting a few minutes for it to be fully back up.  

After this, hopefully the URL block will be working. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

Should that be an 'x' or an '*'?

Edit: I mean, I know what it says, but I'm just wondering if that's a typo.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
New Poster

I added the urls, saved settings and power cycled the modem (unplugged power for 30 seconds).  I restarted my tablet and I could navigate to youtube.com.  I went back to url blocking to confirm the urls were listed there.  And, confirmed that firewall features were turned on.  I don't think this feature works.

youtube.com

x.youtube.com

*.youtube.com

Associate Professor

You MUST go into Parental Controls, and also add information in there for the URL Blocking to work...

Advanced Setup > Firewall > Parental Controls

Click Add Rule, select the device you want filtered, enable the rule, the select "WWW with URL Blocking", save settings.

Make sure you also enable filter rules as a whole, and make sure you follow the exact scheme to block things.

The way this works appears to be based upon DNS Blocking, so if you are using a third party DNS, this will NOT work.

That aside, I have yet to actually get this working my self...  Maybe @GabeU or @MarkJFine could test blocking after completing both sections.

New Poster

Thanks for the info.

I added a rule to block my cell phone for www, www with url blocking and secure http.  And enabled the rule.  And enabled filtering function.  I restarted the router.  My phone can still get to youtube.com.  Argh!

I'm thinking of adding a router with dd-wrt firmware so I can block these sites as well as see the total bytes being used by IP address.  I wish the HT2000 did that.  It would make it easier to track down data pigs.  LOL.

Associate Professor

Yeah... I personally don't depend on the functions built into the HT2000w...  Have always prefered the following...

PFSense (Firewall/Router OS)
SQUID (Proxy Server)
SquidGuard (URL based blocking with filter lists)
PFBlocker (DNS based Blocking to block websites and services that are a real pain to block with squidguard)

Hello,

The URL Blocking requires parental controls to be enabled for the device MAC address which will be the subject of the block. I will ask for specific instructions and see about them being documented better.

Thanks

Amanda

New Poster

Thanks to everyone who has helped me.

I have parental controls and the rule working now.  I went to the grocery store with my android phone.  When I got home, my phone wouldn't browse anywhere.  I was so happy...the rule was working and blocking access.  Why I was able to browse before is either user error or the device reconnecting to wifi after using cell data caused something to happen.

So I unchecked WWW and Secure HTTP, leaving WWW with URL blocking checked/enabled.  Saved settings.  My phone can now browse so that switch works correctly.  But, I can browse to youtube.com which should be blocked.

So I think I have everything setup right.  The question is, exactly what syntax do I use to type in the blocked URL's and any configuration? (I have the parental control rule for the device working as proved when I was blocking all WWW.)

Associate Professor

From my understanding, you should use something like the following...

*.youtube.com

This would block www.youtube.com, m.youtube.com and so on.  You might also want to block *.ytimg.com (that's another domain that Youtube uses...)

I seriously hope they aren't using X as a wildcard...

@Amanda can you confirm what the wildcard is?  Because there are a lot of addresses with X in them and that can cause some headaches...