Gen5 url blocking

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoeWI
New Poster

Gen5 url blocking

I would like to stop people from watching youtube videos.  So I followed the example and entered x.youtube.com and clicked Save Settings. I opened a new browser, navigated to youtube.com and the site was not blocked.  I also tried using the administration reboot router feature and the site was not blocked.  What am I doing wrong?

19 REPLIES 19
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@JoeWI

I don't know for sure if this will help, but I would try power cycling the modem and restarting the devices that connect through the HT2000W's WiFi.  By power cycling the modem I mean unplugging it at the wall outlet or power brick, waiting at least 30 seconds, then plugging it back in and waiting a few minutes for it to be fully back up.  

After this, hopefully the URL block will be working. 

MarkJFine
Professor

Should that be an 'x' or an '*'?

Edit: I mean, I know what it says, but I'm just wondering if that's a typo.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I added the urls, saved settings and power cycled the modem (unplugged power for 30 seconds).  I restarted my tablet and I could navigate to youtube.com.  I went back to url blocking to confirm the urls were listed there.  And, confirmed that firewall features were turned on.  I don't think this feature works.

youtube.com

x.youtube.com

*.youtube.com

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

You MUST go into Parental Controls, and also add information in there for the URL Blocking to work...

Advanced Setup > Firewall > Parental Controls

Click Add Rule, select the device you want filtered, enable the rule, the select "WWW with URL Blocking", save settings.

Make sure you also enable filter rules as a whole, and make sure you follow the exact scheme to block things.

The way this works appears to be based upon DNS Blocking, so if you are using a third party DNS, this will NOT work.

That aside, I have yet to actually get this working my self...  Maybe @GabeU or @MarkJFine could test blocking after completing both sections.

Thanks for the info.

I added a rule to block my cell phone for www, www with url blocking and secure http.  And enabled the rule.  And enabled filtering function.  I restarted the router.  My phone can still get to youtube.com.  Argh!

I'm thinking of adding a router with dd-wrt firmware so I can block these sites as well as see the total bytes being used by IP address.  I wish the HT2000 did that.  It would make it easier to track down data pigs.  LOL.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Yeah... I personally don't depend on the functions built into the HT2000w...  Have always prefered the following...

PFSense (Firewall/Router OS)
SQUID (Proxy Server)
SquidGuard (URL based blocking with filter lists)
PFBlocker (DNS based Blocking to block websites and services that are a real pain to block with squidguard)

Hello,

The URL Blocking requires parental controls to be enabled for the device MAC address which will be the subject of the block. I will ask for specific instructions and see about them being documented better.

Thanks

Amanda

Thanks to everyone who has helped me.

I have parental controls and the rule working now.  I went to the grocery store with my android phone.  When I got home, my phone wouldn't browse anywhere.  I was so happy...the rule was working and blocking access.  Why I was able to browse before is either user error or the device reconnecting to wifi after using cell data caused something to happen.

So I unchecked WWW and Secure HTTP, leaving WWW with URL blocking checked/enabled.  Saved settings.  My phone can now browse so that switch works correctly.  But, I can browse to youtube.com which should be blocked.

So I think I have everything setup right.  The question is, exactly what syntax do I use to type in the blocked URL's and any configuration? (I have the parental control rule for the device working as proved when I was blocking all WWW.)

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

From my understanding, you should use something like the following...

*.youtube.com

This would block www.youtube.com, m.youtube.com and so on.  You might also want to block *.ytimg.com (that's another domain that Youtube uses...)

I seriously hope they aren't using X as a wildcard...

@Amanda can you confirm what the wildcard is?  Because there are a lot of addresses with X in them and that can cause some headaches...

I put x.youtube.com and x.ytimg.com but I can still navigate to m.youtube.com.

I think a separate router maybe my only option at this point.

Hello,

To my understanding the wildcard is x.url.com but I will have more definitive answers tomorrow on how this feature specifically needs to be set up in order to function properly. 

Amaanda

JoeWI,

Can you confirm this is exactly how you have it set up? Do you have it set to UDP or TCP?

1. Enable “Parental Controls” under Advanced Setup > Firewall > Parental Controls.
  2. Use “Add Rule” button on the same page to start creating a rule.
  3. When adding a rule, to use the “URL Blocking” functionality, you should select “WWW with URL blocking” checkbox. Then, youcan specify additional details like when to apply this rule, which device(s) to apply the rule on, etc.
  4. You should make sure to enable the rule by selecting the “Rule Enabled” radio box when adding the rule.
  5. The actual URLs to block can be specified under Advanced Setup > Firewall > URL Blocking

Just a quick note that I am having the same issue. I have tried on multiple devices, with multiple URLS, and on multiple attempts, and cannot seem to get the Parental Controls in my HT2000W to function at all. I have tried all the suggestions here.

GabeU

@Amanda

1.  Though I couldn't find anywhere to enable the Parental Controls, I did enable the Firewall Features.

2 - 4.  Under Parental Controls I added the Rule "WWW with URL Blocking", the Schedule Rule of "Always Blocking", and ticked Yes for "Rule Enabled".  I also checked to make sure the Client Device matched my desktop, which it did.  I then clicked "Save Settings".

5.  In URL Blocking, I added www.youtube.com, x.youtube.com, https://www.youtube.com, www.msn.com and https://www.msn.com.  I didn't want to miss anything.  I then clicked "Save Settings".  

I then logged out of the Settings and closed all browser pages.  I then opened Chrome and tried to go to both YouTube and MSN.  I was able to get to both.  So then It hough that maybe I should restart my computer, which I did.  No difference.  I then shut down my computer and power cycled the modem, then, after everything was back up, checked the settings to make sure they were all still there, and tried the pages again, and was able to get to both of them.  

Oh, and I also tried all of this with using HughesNet's DNS and Google's.  It didn't make any difference.  

I tried the URLs mentioned above separately.  No dice.    

I then tried all the same with my laptop via WiFi, again making sure that the Client Device matched my laptop when setting up the Rule.   Same thing.  It didn't work.  

GabeU

@Amanda

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe I've figured it out.  The problem is IPv6.  I disabled IPv6 in my adapter settings (unchecked it and clicked Okay), then flushed the DNS (ipconfig /flushdns).  I then did the following...

1.  Under Parental Controls I ticked "Filtering Function" and clicked "Save Settings". 

2.  I then Added a Rule that was "WWW with URL Blocking", made sure that the Scheduling Rule at the bottom was "Always Blocking", made sure I had the right Client Device, ticked Yes for "Rule Enabled" and clicked "Save Settings".  

3.  I then, under URL Blocking, added www.youtube.com and www.msn.com, then clicked "Save Settings".  

I then opened two new windows and voila...

Screenshot (57).png

Screenshot (58).png

I then did all the same with my WiFi laptop (the IPv6 and flushed DNS), setting up the same rules for that Client Device, and sure enough,  it also worked.  🙂 🙂 🙂  

However, I tried with just x.youtube.com and it didn't work.  I had to use the actual www.youtube.com.  I didn't try with MSN.  With that said, though, I'm not quite sure how that works, as in if x.youtube.com only works with the sub pages and not the main page, whereas www.youtube.com blocks the main page.  Still, when I had www.youtube.com as the URL to block I tried to go to a few Youtube music videos that were searched for with Google and the pages wouldn't open.  That's good.  🙂

It also doesn't appear to matter whether I'm using HughesNet's DNS servers or Google's.  It blocked the pages with both.  

I hope this helps.  That pesky IPv6!!!  😛  

Thanks again to everyone helping with this issue.

I greatly appreciate the time and effort involved to discover the workaround.  But I have no idea how to turn off IPv6 on non-rooted tablets and phones.  So I don't think this solution will work for me.

Would disabling the IPv6 Automatic setting (advanced setup, IPv6, IPv6 Automatic) do the same thing?

GabeU

@JoeWI

In answer to your last question, I don't really know, but I don't believe so.  

With regard to what I was able to get working, it was only with two Windows based computers, so it's more likely that it's a device specific workaround than an all around fix.  

With this said, to disable the IPv6 on a Windows based computer, you want to get to the network adapter being used.  I only have Windows 10, and to do so through Windows 10, left click on the Network icon in the taskbar and click Network and Internet Settings.  Then, on the page it takes you to, click Change Adapter Options in the middle of the page.  Then, right click on the adapter being used and click Properties.  Then uncheck the box for the line "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)" and click "Okay", then close the other open windows.  

Now, this was with a Windows 10 desktop.  For a different version of Windows, or a Windows computer connected via WiFi, it may be a little different getting to the place to uncheck the box for IPv6.  

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Uncheck the noted box below.  

Capture.JPG

How having IPv6 disabled may affect your browsing experience I can't say.  I don't think it will, but I'm not an expert.  I have had @C0RR0SIVE tell me, during a previous discussion about an unrelated topic, that having IPv6 enabled wasn't necessary, and he knows much better than I.  

Lastly, you can also get to the adapter you're using through the Control Panel, as well.  Click "Network and Sharing Center", then "Change Adapter Settings", which is on the upper left.  Again, this is with Windows 10, but other version should be similar.  

Epbutler
Spectator

Wrong? Guess going with Hugh’s.
I have next to no service, wether 5 or 2; just get bills along with notices of no data.
I’m in rural area, but not right paying for where they can’t service
GabeU

@Epbutler

There's no need for you to disrupt this thread, or others, with your completely unrelated issue/complaint.  Please have enough respect for people attempting to receive help to not do so. 

If you would like help, please start a new topic in the appropriate section for your issue.