Gen5 wifi drops and poor / slow data download

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Davo
New Poster

Gen5 wifi drops and poor / slow data download

Ever since my Gen5 with HT2000W modem-router was installed (new customer) wifi drops intermittently. Usually during video streaming or large downloads. At the same time the Transmit & Receive indicators stop blinking. Sometimes I have to power cycle the modem-router to restart it. And video streaming and downloads are slow. Video is constantly buffering. All this with only 1 device on the network at a time.

10 REPLIES 10
MarkJFine
Professor

Is the HT2000w located at the opposite side of the house where you're trying to use it? How far away are they?

Are the network drivers on your computer (or whatever you're using) up to date?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I can be in the same room (5ft away) and the problem occurs (looking at the HT2000W). 3 different computers all experience the same problem. Windows 10 and they are up to date. 

If you're using 5GHz, does it does the same on the 2GHz wifi, or vice versa?

Does each make use of the right security method and protocols for your laptops?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I'm only using the 2G on my laptop(s). I'm assuming wifi protocols & security are OK, they set by default when connecting. The problem does occur while performing simple tasks like email, facebook, chatting, etc. only during more demanding data throughput. 

TYPO - does Not occur with simple tasks...

try using the 5GHz if you can. If you're able to use 802.11a/n/ac you may be able to take advantage of up to 3 extension channels, making it very fast. You can check what you're using at:

http://192.168.42.1/wireless_main.htm?t=1514666013809.

Edit: 802.11... there is no 803.11 and I keep typing that. 😬

I have some sort of Windows issue whereby I cannot see the 5G network. I know its working because my iPhone connects to it. I've tried 3 different machines (1 new) and not seeing the 5G network. I guess the ball is in my court now. 

Hmmm... maybe a Windows expert that's heard of this before can help with that. Only thing I've heard recently is that there may have been an issue with a version of the Intel wifi drivers.

As it turns out none of my equipment is capable of 5Mhz. That being said I still should be able to stream video at 2.4Mhz as I used to with Dishnet. I tried to stream a movie from Amazon Saturday evening and the service was horable. Buffering approxamately every 15 minutes and dropping internet connection altogether 4 times. 

judiboo
New Poster

I have the same problem every day and night and have no idea why.